Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Gutless, aimless... hopeless

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,854

    Gutless, aimless... hopeless

    http://www.cricketweb.net/article.ph...ewsIDAuto=2870

    Finally got some thoughts down into words. Comments/feedback welcomed.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  2. #2
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Couldn't agree more, well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  3. #3
    International Regular JBH001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,245
    Great post, Neil.

    I watched part of the test here in NZ and after Strauss's dismissal could not believe my eyes. On the first 4 days England played, more or less, like the side they want to be and have been, for the most part, over the last few years - and then suddenly in the space of an hour or two, they reverted to the 'old' England at completely and utterly the wrong time and place, against the worst possible opponent.

    It was pathetic to watch. I really am sorry for the English fans.
    The disappointment and shame must be immense.

  4. #4
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,812
    excellent article...agree with everything you said except that there is still a chance to retain the ashes...


  5. #5
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer techno t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    65

    Icon11

    Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    excellent article...agree with everything you said except that there is still a chance to retain the ashes...
    a blinking small chance

    i hope we dont get whitewashed

    *
    For total off topic chat and randomness, try out this place

  6. #6
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    http://www.cricketweb.net/article.ph...ewsIDAuto=2870

    Finally got some thoughts down into words. Comments/feedback welcomed.
    Yeah top stuff, keep it coming.

  7. #7
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    29,542
    Pah England lose two lousy tests and the world is on fire... How bads it going to be in 18 years time with the ashes still on the other side of the world? Cracking report though..
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 05-12-2006 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  8. #8
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    Great piece Neil. I'd write one myself but it'd only come out exactly the same, except with longer sentences.

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,568
    Opening is rather hyperbole IMO. Such a defeat is only really comparable to Multan another test match which we seemingly contrived to lose, still has nothing on the embarrassment in Zimbabwe or the home series against New Zealand.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Excellent post and article Neil, very well written.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

  11. #11
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Read it with glee tbh
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,144
    Disagree with the opening statement, really. I was able to watch most of days 4 and 5 and England weren't bad with the ball on day 4 (particularly Hoggard) but Michael Clarke played exceptionally well. To survive he has had to tighten his game immensely and you'll notice that a lot of his runs came from smart 1's and 2's backward of square and not many boundaries. Certainly no bit cut or pu shots. He played like one should play against tight bowling and didn't lose his head (aside from the shot which got him out) Gilchrist was also kept relatively quiet before he hit a few boundaries but really, he had to take a few risks and they came off. He also had to fight like hell to keep Harmison out like he did. On another day, he probably would have given at east one chance through gully. When England came out late on day 4, Strauss and Bell looked quite untroubled by Lee and McGrath.

    Day 5 dawned and the key points for me were this; Australia had to not only bring their A-level game to the party to stay in the match but also had to prevent Engand paying theirs. The reason England only scored at 1-per-over before lunch was a combination of English defensiveness but also outstanding 'stick-to-the-plan bowling by Australia. Stuart Clark was top-shelf and to take the wickets he did, Warnie had to also bowl at his best. I think England were really shaken up by the soft run-out of Bell and the dodgy decision against Strauss. From there, the pressure just built and built. Yes, English bats played some ordinary shots but those shots were brought about by the sheer pressure-building at both ends. I suspect Freddie is feeling his injury and fatigue (besides which, havinng already bowled his guts out, to also expect him to be a match-winner with the bat was a bit much) but KP's shot was an attempt to wrest some of the momentum back and it just didn't come off due to hesitation. Geraint Jones, again, was undone by the pressure and his shot looked quite desperate. England may well have been looking to target guys like Lee for runs but when even he is bowling on-the-spot line bowling, who do you go after?

    Good bowling is never just about in-swinging yorkers or balls pitching leg and taking off-stump. On a super-flat deck like that, you need guys who can stick to a plan and when all four of your bowlers do it, not many teams have the ability to counter that. Indirectly, I get the feeling the Aussies learnt a great deal from the bowling of Hoggard; stick to your plan, don't lose your head and keeping running in. He did it so well and took half of the Aussie wickets in the match.

    So yeah, whilst I agree that England didn't exactly have a day out, it wasn't just because they suck; they weren't allowed to. That there is the difference between the sides because they have just as many match-winners with both bat and ball as each other. The lack of sense in selection hardly helped matters, either......
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  13. #13
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    Day 5 dawned and the key points for me were this; Australia had to not only bring their A-level game to the party to stay in the match but also had to prevent Engand paying theirs. The reason England only scored at 1-per-over before lunch was a combination of English defensiveness but also outstanding 'stick-to-the-plan bowling by Australia. Stuart Clark was top-shelf and to take the wickets he did, Warnie had to also bowl at his best. I think England were really shaken up by the soft run-out of Bell and the dodgy decision against Strauss. From there, the pressure just built and built. Yes, English bats played some ordinary shots but those shots were brought about by the sheer pressure-building at both ends. I suspect Freddie is feeling his injury and fatigue (besides which, havinng already bowled his guts out, to also expect him to be a match-winner with the bat was a bit much) but KP's shot was an attempt to wrest some of the momentum back and it just didn't come off due to hesitation. Geraint Jones, again, was undone by the pressure and his shot looked quite desperate. England may well have been looking to target guys like Lee for runs but when even he is bowling on-the-spot line bowling, who do you go after?

    Good bowling is never just about in-swinging yorkers or balls pitching leg and taking off-stump. On a super-flat deck like that, you need guys who can stick to a plan and when all four of your bowlers do it, not many teams have the ability to counter that. Indirectly, I get the feeling the Aussies learnt a great deal from the bowling of Hoggard; stick to your plan, don't lose your head and keeping running in. He did it so well and took half of the Aussie wickets in the match.

    So yeah, whilst I agree that England didn't exactly have a day out, it wasn't just because they suck; they weren't allowed to. That there is the difference between the sides because they have just as many match-winners with both bat and ball as each other. The lack of sense in selection hardly helped matters, either......
    Great stuff, and I agree just about completely regarding all of this. I think to an extent the Australian bowling effort was a bit underestimated, and as a result, I think Collingwood copped some pretty harsh and unfair criticism, both here and in some segments of the press.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  14. #14
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    http://www.cricketweb.net/article.ph...ewsIDAuto=2870

    Finally got some thoughts down into words. Comments/feedback welcomed.
    Fantastic article. Very, very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  15. #15
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,807
    Good article, but you guys lost to the best team in the world in the last session on the 5th day of a test match. It happens to all countries, not just the English.

    Plus, you guys did lose that 1st test in Pakistan just as badly. A couple of people gloss over that, but if you want to get better, you can't ever do that. If Australia ever failed chasing 180-odd, they would be crucified and would probably mean some changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •