• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pieterson vs Warne

Matt79

Global Moderator
A commentator on the radio made the comment that Pieterson vs Warne was now surely the premier one-on-one duel to watch in the sport, taking the place of previous great rivalries like Tendaulkar/Lara-Warne etc.

What do people reckon, and how do you score the rivalry so far this series?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair, Warne is probably a little past his best, so it's not exactly all it could have been. I'm inclined to agree though. England and Australia are the best teams in the world at the moment, and Warne and Pietersen have plenty going on with their rivalry, and you'll rarely see such a fascinating contest. It was even interesting when Pietersen was bowling to Warne. :p

McGrath and Lara was always my favourite, but neither of them are quite the players they used to be and they'll probably only meet in tests once more, if that.

Pietersen is ahead in the battle for this series, and I'd call it pretty close last Ashes. Pietersen got on top of him a few times, but Warne also got his wicket more than once.

pasag

RTDAS
Was thinking of making this thread. Highlight of the series so far.

2-1 to Pietersen IMO (for this series).

Matt79

Global Moderator
I suspect however, if you asked Pieterson which "one" he would least liked to have lost, today's dig would have been it.

Dravid

International Captain
Warne is going to retire soon enough so this rivalry won't last long enough to be called a classic imo.

Matt79

Global Moderator
How many of the great rivalries that people talk about encompass more than two or three five match series anyway? There's every chance Warne might hold on until 2009 - even if he doesn't the 2005 series plus this one are sufficient for it to be remembered.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
its def the best rivavlry right now, its really fun to watch because they both have agressive and positive body language too
unlike the shoaib and tendulkar rivalry where sachin barely ever said a word, he didnt have to really his bat did the talking

but i think rivavlries need some word exchanges and aggresive gestures, lara vs kaneria is another good one going on right now though

Dravid

International Captain
mohammad16 said:
but i think rivavlries need some word exchanges and aggresive gestures,\

Andre Nel v Every batsman would be the biggest rivalry in cricket then.

Dravid

International Captain
Matt79 said:
How many of the great rivalries that people talk about encompass more than two or three five match series anyway? There's every chance Warne might hold on until 2009 - even if he doesn't the 2005 series plus this one are sufficient for it to be remembered.

Warne playing at 40? Don't think it would be possible.

PY

International Coach
Because his hair will have fallen out and he'll refuse to appear on TV because of it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
No - Advanced Hair fixed that and now his hair is as thick and luxurious as an English greentop.

Seriously, is there any sound reason to say he couldn't bowl til he's 40?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Matt79 said:
No - Advanced Hair fixed that and now his hair is as thick and luxurious as an English greentop.

Seriously, is there any sound reason to say he couldn't bowl til he's 40?
His shoulder?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Matteh said:
His shoulder?
It'd be about the only thing stopping him IMO. I think it's been clear so far this series though that he still isn't entirely confident with the way his shoulder is. Despite all the hype that he was bringing the flipper back etc. etc. he's hardly bowled it at all this series, and when he has it hasn't been threatening, a clear sign to me that he's worried about the shoulder, which takes more strain when he bowls that delivery.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Alysum said:
How many times dowe have to explain that it's PietersEN not Pieterson !! arrggg!!!
When everyone starts spelling Jaques right, and gets the whole Clarke/Clark thing right, I'll get KP's name right. :p

Matt79

Global Moderator
He bowled a couple yesterday, along with the first wrong-uns I can remember from him for a while.

I think his shoulder is ok, based only on looking at him. But obviously yes, a serious injury, or recurrance of his shoulder problem would stop him, but that's true of any player in their mid-to-late 30s.