• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fletcher's a joke

Just seen the post match interview. :laugh:

First thing I noticed is that he's still only willing to damn faint praise on Warne.

When asked about how England struggled with the bowling this morning he took the opportunity to claim they were mainly worried by the reverse swing and didn't mention Warne, who he later did compliment by labelling "a very good wrist spinner" :laugh: Don't go too overboard, Dunc.

It reminded me of against Sri Lanka this summer when as opposition coach he nominated the opposing player of the series and he described Muralitharans spell binding domination as "he caused our batsman a lot of problems" :laugh:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, have to say he's one of the few guys in international cricket that really bugs me on a personal level. He just seems to have so little respect for the game and the performances of the opposition. I suppose he doesn't constantly whinge like Smith or Bracewell, but there's something even more grating about his smug arrogance, even in the face of being totally outplayed.

For as much crap as, say, Ponting, Smith or Warne get, at least they have some respect for the great players they face from time to time and are willing to acknowledge when they are well beaten.

Plus, Fletcher's really dropped the ball with his work as a coach on this tour, so he doesn't have success on his side either.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Sorry, Smith giving credit to the opposition? I could well be wrong, but I feel he barely does it. Champions Trophy anyone? "It was the piiiiiitch. Waaaaa..."

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, have to say he's one of the few guys in international cricket that really bugs me on a personal level. He just seems to have so little respect for the game and the performances of the opposition. I suppose he doesn't constantly whinge like Smith or Bracewell, but there's something even more grating about his smug arrogance, even in the face of being totally outplayed.

For as much crap as, say, Ponting, Smith or Warne get, at least they have some respect for the great players they face from time to time and are willing to acknowledge when they are well beaten.

Plus, Fletcher's really dropped the ball with his work as a coach on this tour, so he doesn't have success on his side either.
Yeha. I agree. Time to go.

I'd rather have not won the Ashes at all than lose them in the fashion we are doing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Langeveldt said:
What a joke, wish I could have heard you two saying that in 2005, not a chance you would have done..
Well I wasn't here during the last Ashes :p

And you're probably right, but well hindsight is a wonderful thing. Ask a Sunderland fan if they're glad they got promoted in 2005, fair chance that they'll say no.

Langeveldt

Soutie
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Well I wasn't here during the last Ashes :p

And you're probably right, but well hindsight is a wonderful thing. Ask a Sunderland fan if they're glad they got promoted in 2005, fair chance that they'll say no.
Nah, I'd get an incomprehensible load of garbage followed by a bat to the face

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
What a joke, wish I could have heard you two saying that in 2005, not a chance you would have done..
The end justifies the means, that's the nature of sport. If you win, no-one will complain, but if you lose, people will pick holes in everything because the choices you've made have obviously gone wrong somewhere. Something's changed between now and September 12 2005, that's for sure.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
The end justifies the means, that's the nature of sport. If you win, no-one will complain, but if you lose, people will pick holes in everything because the choices you've made have obviously gone wrong somewhere. Something's changed between now and September 12 2005, that's for sure.
Im sure at the time you'd have taken an Ashes win under those circumstances, and a 5-0 whitewash afterwards if offered it..

howardj

International Coach
In Fletcher's defence, he wasn't the person who told the batsmen to be so ultra-defensive yesterday. Apparently, the talk in the dressing room was to get the scoreboard going. It was that defensiveness - a decision made by the batsmen who were out there - that cost England the match. And, unless people are arguing that Panesar is better than Vettori (who averages over 40 against Australia, in Australia) Monty's non-selection has hardly cost England the Series. I know people are frustrated, but you have to maintain some perspective.

You've got to crack on, and go to Perth with the chin up.

techno t

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
howardj said:
In Fletcher's defence, he wasn't the person who told the batsmen to be so ultra-defensive yesterday. Apparently, the talk in the dressing room was to get the scoreboard going. It was that defensiveness - a decision made by the batsmen who were out there - that cost England the match. And, unless people are arguing that Panesar is better than Vettori (who averages over 40 against Australia, in Australia) Monty's non-selection has hardly cost England the Series. I know people are frustrated, but you have to maintain some perspective.

You've got to crack on, and go to Perth with the chin up.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: crack on with the chin up :laugh: Those lads will be really down in the depths now. Setting the record for posting the most in a 1st innings and losing the match, that really is gonna knock em down.

I doubt there will be any of their chins up for along time, and im fearing a bloody whitewash and i bet they will be too :unsure: