Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fletcher's a joke

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot
    Panesar is not as good as Vettori.
    Vettori seems to be ridiculously overrated at times. He's a good ODI bowler, but has been largely ineffective in Tests for a long time.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Based on reality. Panesar is ridiculously over-rated. If he had played these first two Tests his average would be up to 35+ by now because he'd have finally played on some spin unfriendly wickets against good players of finger spin.
    Duncan Fletcher???

Seriously laughable statement. The flat pitches that he played on in the subcontinent were not condusive to bowling of any sort, neither seam nor spin. The fact that he doesn't have an average of 35+ already really nullifies your point.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Regarding Dunc Fletcher and lack of respect for opposition, it's nothing new for him. When he was playing for Zimbabwe, he was exactly the same; lacking on couth and respect. It's no surprise because he had to be an expert in getting under the noses of opposition to DEMAND respect if he was to do well at International level and for Zimbabwe to do well.

Want proof? Have a look at his ODI debut which happened to be Zimbabwe's ODI debut;

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/e...tch/65066.html

He essentially won that game himself. Takes a lot of ability (he was about 36 at the time too) but against a team as strong as that one was, to take them on like he did, took a lot of guts. And a healthy lack of respect for the opposition. So really, he's just reverting to type.

As for whether he should go, nah I don't think so. England's poor performances have more to do with poor selection (in my opinion) and just poor form than anything else. They really have been ordinary since they arrived and I don't think he should be made to carry the can for that.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Flexi-Combat Champion! Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Vettori seems to be ridiculously overrated at times. He's a good ODI bowler, but has been largely ineffective in Tests for a long time.
    I don't think alot of normal people rate Vettori as a test bowler, Infact Patel would probally be a better pick, But you can't drop your next cap.

Anyway I love how it's always the coaches fault not the players

We lost the ashes? it can't be beacuse our players failed. Lets blame the coach.

Both the players and the coach have to take equal blame for a series loss.

It's the all blacks all over again. Get beaten in the world cup? fire the coach but keep the same players...
    No'ones gonna take me alive
    The time has come to make things right
    You and I must fight for our rights
    You and I must fight to survive

New Zealand Cricket Supporter

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Retox

It's the all blacks all over again. Get beaten in the world cup? fire the coach but keep the same players...
    Yeah, that's been a disaster...

Its the coach's fault some of those players who most prominently failed were in the team, when there appear to be better alternatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Do people remember? In 2005 he was god, in 2006, he is a criminal. He can't be all that bad, better than some people at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The Courier-Mail has learned that at team selection meetings in Adelaide, Fletcher leaned toward Panesar to play in the Test but captain Andrew Flintoff went for his Lancashire teammate, swing bowler Jimmy Anderson, who went on to perform poorly and may not play another Test on tour.

Flintoff won out after the issue was discussed by a committee of senior players including Geraint Jones and Andrew Strauss.

The fallout over the omission of Panesar has become so great in England that it is threatening to undermine Fletcher's future as England coach and also drive a wedge between Fletcher and Flintoff.
    Freddie - oh - Freddie...you shouldn't play favorites either. Flintoff did under bowl Monty when he had the chance, I don't know if he rates him as any good. Hopefully he'll realize that they need all the bowlers they can get to take 20 wickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    It does concern me just a tiny bit that Geraint Jones is on the selection committee.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    It does concern me just a tiny bit that Geraint Jones is on the selection committee.
    I agree, it's quite ironic.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer techno t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucefan
    I agree, it's quite ironic.
    ah ha thats how he gets in the sodding team

For total off topic chat and randomness, try out this place

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    It would be like Mick Lewis being one of Australia's.

Flexi-Combat Champion! Tournaments Won: 1
    But flintoff can't do no wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713
    Duncan Fletcher???

Seriously laughable statement. The flat pitches that he played on in the subcontinent were not condusive to bowling of any sort, neither seam nor spin. The fact that he doesn't have an average of 35+ already really nullifies your point.
    Go look at the three games he's played in India. Two results, highest innings score of either side in the whole series was 400. Only in the first game did all of the spinners struggle a bit. I would suggest you actually bother to look at the games in question before you open up with your hysterical salvo.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information