Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fletcher's a joke

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Based on reality. Panesar is ridiculously over-rated. If he had played these first two Tests his average would be up to 35+ by now because he'd have finally played on some spin unfriendly wickets against good players of finger spin.
    India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are not good players of finger spin?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are not good players of finger spin?
    Pakistan aren't. Most if not all the wickets played on against India and SL had something in them for finger spin.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

State Captain
    Pakistan aren't. Most if not all the wickets played on against India and SL had something in them for finger spin.
    Vettori averages 100 against Pakistan. Which is all that is needed for the purpose of this discussion.

PY
    Pakistan aren't good players of spin? New one to me....
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

I don't think you can make it out of the subcontinent domestic structure without at least being an adequate player of spin.

Quote Originally Posted by PY
    Pakistan aren't good players of spin? New one to me....
    They're not good players of *finger* spin. India, SL and Australia are better at playing it. When you're comfortably below three teams at playing finger spin then you can hardly call yourself good players of it.

Harbhajan averages 57 against them, Vettori averages 100...

I'd say Yoisuf, Younis Khan and Inzamam are good players of spin and Monty got them out eight times between them. of course he should have played in the first two tests but Fletcher was scared he'd get a duck when a top batsman needed him to stay with him or drop, say Ponting and see him make a hundred because Giles would never do those things. I widh Fletcher would own up and say "I was wrong" like Nasser did in 2002 - he'd gain respect from me. I was thinking before this series he might go after the World Cup - he's been there 7 years and you can stay too long - now I think he MUST. Get Tom Moody in before Australia get him. Remember Bobby Simpson coached Australia to a big win in the Carribean in 1995 and a year later he was out - we need someone to take us to the next level. Fletcher's done well for us (as did Simpson for Australia) but its time for a change.
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

State Captain
    They're not good players of *finger* spin. India, SL and Australia are better at playing it. When you're comfortably below three teams at playing finger spin then you can hardly call yourself good players of it.
    I thought the usual line was that Pakistan couldn't play "leg" spin (whether left arm orthodox or wrist spin).

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy
    I wish Fletcher would own up and say "I was wrong" like Nasser did in 2002 - he'd gain respect from me. I was thinking before this series he might go after the World Cup - he's been there 7 years and you can stay too long - now I think he MUST. Get Tom Moody in before Australia get him. Remember Bobby Simpson coached Australia to a big win in the Carribean in 1995 and a year later he was out - we need someone to take us to the next level. Fletcher's done well for us (as did Simpson for Australia) but its time for a change.
    I think at the moment we need to put on hold thoughts of going to the "next" level and find someone who can prevent us falling way back down to our previous level

And in the short term we need someone in place (even if on a short term contract) - Darren Lehmann would be perfect - for the World Cup. If Fletcher's abilities as a test coach are tarnished and he will be going anyway then he MUST UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES BE ALLOWED TO OVERSEE CATASTROPHE IN THE WINDIES. There is so much that could easily be put right about our ODI team to make us competitive, that the ECB should take the first opportunity to change things.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Harbhajan averages 57 against them, Vettori averages 100...
    Yardy and Dalrymple dominated them in the NatWest Series. Vettori 3 Tests against them and bowled on two roads and a seamers' wicket. Harbhajan's 57 is because of the last two Tests where he played on two roads (679-7 plays 410-1, 588 & 490-8 declared after a collapse plays 603). You'll find a lot of spinners averages are bloated by playing on Pakistan's roads, but when there's a bit in the pitch it's a different story and Pakistan don't generally play it particularly well - with the odd exception obviously.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    So which fingerspinners other than Panesar have had success against Pakistan? There's Giles, but that's about it.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

State Captain
    Yardy and Dalrymple dominated them in the NatWest Series. Vettori 3 Tests against them and bowled on two roads and a seamers' wicket. Harbhajan's 57 is because of the last two Tests where he played on two roads (679-7 plays 410-1, 588 & 490-8 declared after a collapse plays 603). You'll find a lot of spinners averages are bloated by playing on Pakistan's roads, but when there's a bit in the pitch it's a different story and Pakistan don't generally play it particularly well - with the odd exception obviously.
    Panesar bowled on at least 3 roads and a seamers pitch vs Pakistan He can hardly be penalised for having an ability to get more spin (and find spin on a greater range of surfaces) than your regular finger spinner.

State Captain
    Anyway the statement being challenged at the start of this was that Vettori is a better bowler than Panesar. So arguing that they are equally useless (but less useless, presumably, than Giles) doesn't really get to the argument.

Yardy and Dalrymple dominated them in the NatWest Series. Vettori 3 Tests against them and bowled on two roads and a seamers' wicket.
    You can't relate to one dayers in this argument, you're not seriously saying that Yardy and Dalrymple would have dominated Pakistan in tests.
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information