• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fletcher - Time To Go?

Should Fletcher go?

• Total voters

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Fletcher's selectorial decisions, continued preferential treatment of his favourite players and total ineptitude in OD cricket. I also agree with Marsh about the selector/coach conflict issue.

I think he needs to go after the Ashes.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm increasingly coming round to the idea. All good things come to an end & I think he's possibly taken us as far as he can now. We continue to be a joke in ODIs & we're very visibly going backwards in tests now.

I also reckon our XI for Adelaide shows that Monty only got a go this summer because Miller & Graveney (both spinners, coincidentally) outvoted him. Now, with him having the final say, it's back to the admirable, but desperately limited, Juan Carlos. Ditto Read & Jones, obv.

techno t

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
ive been saying it with a couple of friends. His ODI record is ****e, and his selection of certain players whatever form or ability is somewhat questionable :unsure:

If england get destroyed in the Ashes and knocked out easily in the World Cup, I think the pressure will mount immeasurably on him. Boycott has also started to call for his head, and im struggling to disagree with him

He's such a stubborn old fart that he's probably only doing it to defy Warne, in light of his previous selection comments.

I think he takes it personally and doesn't want to look like he's being undermined but isn't looking at the good of the team.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
BingLeeElectric said:
He's such a stubborn old fart that he's probably only doing it to defy Warne, in light of his previous selection comments.

I think he takes it personally and doesn't want to look like he's being undermined but isn't looking at the good of the team.
:blink: I agree

techno t

BingLeeElectric said:

he is a stubborn ol'git. The selectors need to get a grip of the situation and pick the strongest team. Not Fletches favs :wacko:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If we're only playing 1 spinner in a 5 man attack there is no way you can justify Monty because it leaves us so vunerable to the threat of 4 down, all out that it's scary.

That said, I'd have put Monty in as part of a 3 seamer, 2 spinner attack (or even gone for the 6-Flintoff-Read-3 shape, making Collingwood/Bell the 4th seamer)

techno t

if we are relying on our tail to bat we are in trouble. The batsmen need to step up to the plate, and the bowlers rip the aussies apart :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And if we're relying on 5 batsmen to do the job, we're also in trouble...

There's a reason why the game requires all 11 to bat, but only 4 or 5 to bowl...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think you have to make Panesar the sole spinner in a four man attack. Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Panesar.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Way too much being made of England needing a strong tail. You took 10 wickets for 850+ runs for goodness sake. Panesar surely is needed.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
And if we're relying on 5 batsmen to do the job, we're also in trouble...

There's a reason why the game requires all 11 to bat, but only 4 or 5 to bowl...
It's grat if the tail can bat. But if they can't take the 20 wickets needed. You need to bring in people who can.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England should release Fletcher after the Ashes, he's had a good run but he can't last forever.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Fletcher is far too defensive with his selections, and simply has too much power. The selection system for England is just ridiculous at the moment, where as soon as they leave the country for a tour, the coach of all people has the only voice in selection. I don't quite subscribe to the Ian Chappell view that a coach is only there to book the bus, but surely it's a bit much to have them as the only person selecting the side.

The constant choice of substandard players for their batting is really idiotic, anyway. Jones is one thing, and he's not that bad with the gloves these days and I think Read is a bit overrated, but Giles averages 20 with the bat, not 45. It'd be like Australia picking Brad Hogg as our test spinner because he is a good batsman. The non-selection of Panesar for Adelaide should be the final straw.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
It'd be like Australia picking Brad Hogg as our test spinner because he is a good batsman.
Based on Brisbane, i'd be happy enough to pick Pietersen as our test spinner because he's a good batsman.

greg

International Debutant
I'd like the option - "yes after this test"! At least with England's batting performing our lack of fire in the bowling due to the ludicrous trade off between 20 runs at no8 vs wickets from your spin bowler is likely to brought into stark contrast, hopefully without actually costing England any hope in the series.

Nicked from another forum...

Can anybody make a case for Giles’ inclusion in the team?

Here is the case:
(conversation between English Ashes tour selectors, Duncan Flether and Andrew Flintoff)

DF - We seem to have a bit of a problem with a long tail in our batting.
AF – Hmmm…what can we do about it. We can’t have a long tail.
DF – I know, we’ll include Ashley Giles, he should be fresh and really up for the battle. Hasn’t played for 12 months you know.
AF – 12 months, really. That long is it. Well yes then he should be really fresh and up for the battle.
DF – And he was a major part of our 2005 Ashes success. It was even named after him.
AF – Funny I never realised that, you’re right, Ash’s success.
DF – And he’s great to have in the dressing room.
AF – But I thought we were going to include him in the team to go out onto the ground.
DF – No, I mean before play, during breaks etc.
AF – Oh yes, good point.
DF – He averages 21 with the bat, you know. But it’s not just the runs he gets, it’s the way he gets them. Really sticks it up them he does. And it’s the runs that the other player scores whilst batting with him.
AF – Averages 21? What’s his average against Australia?
DF – How’s your ankle coming along?
AF – Fine, you know I was reading the other day that Brett Lee averages 30 with the bat against England, and Shane Warne about the same during the last 10 games or so. So lucky we’ve got a proper number 8.
DF – Yes but Warne and Lee haven’t had to face Warne during this period. Great spinner.
AF – Yes, they’ve only had to deal with our spinner, that wouldn’t be hard. Avearges 55 against them, strike rate 90, economy rate 3.7 rpo. Who is our spinner again anyway?
DF – Ashley’s just has a few unlucky games.
AF – What’s his batting average against Australia then, I bet it’s higher than Warne’s and Lee’s, they’re just sloggers? I read the other day Dennis Lillee averaged 17 with the bat against England, Merv Hughes and Geoff Lawson 16, and none of them could bat. Ashley must average at least 30 in Ashes contests?
DF – Panesar can’t bat, you know. Can’t field and I no longer think he’s the best left arm orthodox spinner of Indian descent playing for England in the world. I was only saying that anyway. PR exercise. He was getting a bit too popular. For some unknown reason, people really seem to like him.
AF – yeah, you’re right, Giles must play. Averages 55 with the ball against Australia, 16 with the bat, and he’s great in the dressing room. And he’s fresh.
DF – Glad you see it my way old boy. Big future for you as captain of this team you know.

PY

International Coach
The only justification of not picking Monty is that he thinks KP is going to bowl like his mate Warney and take some serious overs.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i'd admit he made some bad selection decision & selections in his time, but overall i think he is doing a good job. I won't blame him for England's poor ODI performances in his time incharge, it has more to do with the quality of players England have had available in his 7 years which with the exception of Trescothick, Knight, KP, Freddie, Collingwood, Stewart, White, Gough have not been able to take the test success over to the ODI side.

Pretty similar to the football team i that regard, one of those hair pullers..

Craig

World Traveller
After the World Cup, but England are pretty shoddy in ODIs so it probably doesn't matter if he goes or not after the Ashes :p