• No, He's doing a good job

5 11.90%
  • Just leave me to go into the fetul position for a few hours

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fletcher - Time To Go?

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar

Fletcher - Time To Go?

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Fletcher's selectorial decisions, continued preferential treatment of his favourite players and total ineptitude in OD cricket. I also agree with Marsh about the selector/coach conflict issue.

I think he needs to go after the Ashes.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I'm increasingly coming round to the idea. All good things come to an end & I think he's possibly taken us as far as he can now. We continue to be a joke in ODIs & we're very visibly going backwards in tests now.

I also reckon our XI for Adelaide shows that Monty only got a go this summer because Miller & Graveney (both spinners, coincidentally) outvoted him. Now, with him having the final say, it's back to the admirable, but desperately limited, Juan Carlos. Ditto Read & Jones, obv.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

School Boy/Girl Cricketer techno t's Avatar

Icon9

ive been saying it with a couple of friends. His ODI record is ****e, and his selection of certain players whatever form or ability is somewhat questionable

If england get destroyed in the Ashes and knocked out easily in the World Cup, I think the pressure will mount immeasurably on him. Boycott has also started to call for his head, and im struggling to disagree with him

For total off topic chat and randomness, try out this place

Banned
    He's such a stubborn old fart that he's probably only doing it to defy Warne, in light of his previous selection comments.

I think he takes it personally and doesn't want to look like he's being undermined but isn't looking at the good of the team.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BingLeeElectric
    He's such a stubborn old fart that he's probably only doing it to defy Warne, in light of his previous selection comments.

I think he takes it personally and doesn't want to look like he's being undermined but isn't looking at the good of the team.
    I agree

Icon1

Quote Originally Posted by BingLeeElectric

he is a stubborn ol'git. The selectors need to get a grip of the situation and pick the strongest team. Not Fletches favs

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    If we're only playing 1 spinner in a 5 man attack there is no way you can justify Monty because it leaves us so vunerable to the threat of 4 down, all out that it's scary.

That said, I'd have put Monty in as part of a 3 seamer, 2 spinner attack (or even gone for the 6-Flintoff-Read-3 shape, making Collingwood/Bell the 4th seamer)
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Icon7

if we are relying on our tail to bat we are in trouble. The batsmen need to step up to the plate, and the bowlers rip the aussies apart

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    And if we're relying on 5 batsmen to do the job, we're also in trouble...

There's a reason why the game requires all 11 to bat, but only 4 or 5 to bowl...

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I think you have to make Panesar the sole spinner in a four man attack. Flintoff, Harmison, Hoggard and Panesar.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Way too much being made of England needing a strong tail. You took 10 wickets for 850+ runs for goodness sake. Panesar surely is needed.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Flexi-Combat Champion! Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    And if we're relying on 5 batsmen to do the job, we're also in trouble...

There's a reason why the game requires all 11 to bat, but only 4 or 5 to bowl...
    It's grat if the tail can bat. But if they can't take the 20 wickets needed. You need to bring in people who can.
    No'ones gonna take me alive
    The time has come to make things right
    You and I must fight for our rights
    You and I must fight to survive

New Zealand Cricket Supporter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    England should release Fletcher after the Ashes, he's had a good run but he can't last forever.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Fletcher is far too defensive with his selections, and simply has too much power. The selection system for England is just ridiculous at the moment, where as soon as they leave the country for a tour, the coach of all people has the only voice in selection. I don't quite subscribe to the Ian Chappell view that a coach is only there to book the bus, but surely it's a bit much to have them as the only person selecting the side.

The constant choice of substandard players for their batting is really idiotic, anyway. Jones is one thing, and he's not that bad with the gloves these days and I think Read is a bit overrated, but Giles averages 20 with the bat, not 45. It'd be like Australia picking Brad Hogg as our test spinner because he is a good batsman. The non-selection of Panesar for Adelaide should be the final straw.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I am surprised that there are ZERO votes that say he's doing well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information