• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern Bodyline

andmark

International Captain
In the 30's bodyline bowling was considered disgraceful. But now it's a simple bouncer.Why?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
andmark said:
In the 30's bodyline bowling was considered disgraceful. But now it's a simple bouncer.Why?
The key point of bodyline was that it was bowled round-the-wicket, into the body, to five or more fielders at short leg/leg slip, so the batsman can often do no more than protect his body and fend the ball aimlessly upwards to a fielder.

You're now no longer allowed more than two fielders behind square on the leg side.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
andmark said:
Because you're confusing bodyline bowling with bowling a bouncer?

Fielding restrictions would make it pretty hard to bowl bodyline these days.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Protection is also another big factor in why it was such a disgrace back then, the protective equipment that batsman wear these days is so much more effective than what they used back then, if they used any at all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Perm said:
Protection is also another big factor in why it was such a disgrace back then, the protective equipment that batsman wear these days is so much more effective than what they used back then, if they used any at all.
They obviously did, but it was pretty basic stuff. This was an era when wicket keepers sometimes put raw steak in their gloves to protect their hands. Someone bowling at Larwood's pace could (no hyperbole) genuinely have put the batsman in mortal danger.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tomm NCCC said:
I dunno, I would like to see England return to using Bodyline this series
Then they'd get thrashed 5-0 for sure. It woudn't work with fielding restrictions or modern protection.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Tomm NCCC said:
That's what Harmison was trying to do the first Test, except it was aimed at the slip cordon.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tomm NCCC said:
Strauss seems to be returning to days of bodyline with his recent batting.. Who needs five fielders behind square on the leg side?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Tomm NCCC said:
Good call, make Ponting jump around a bit I say. Pick 6 Fast Bowlers, and just have a keeper that can bat.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
Good call, make Ponting jump around a bit I say. Pick 6 Fast Bowlers, and just have a keeper that can bat.
Considering the only bloke in the squad who can bat is Pietersen...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
steds said:
Considering the only bloke in the squad who can bat is Pietersen...

Nah, that's a load of crap. Bell batted well, Cook did too, and Collingwood. Jones played some good shots, and Strauss played crap.