• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stupid comment from Slater

When he was commentating for SKY last night, nearing the end of the game, he tried to suck up to the pom audience & co-commentator by basically saying words to the affect of, "It's such a shame that the game was decided on the toss" Couldn't believe it.

Utter tripe. So he's saying that the pitch was a road on day 1 then and most of day 2, till the final session when England batted at which time it must have transformed into a minefield. It was of course also terrible for the first part of day three when England got bowled out before miraculously becoming flat again for Aus's 2nd innings. By day 5 it had crumbled to the extent of England making almost 400 in the final innings. What a significant deteriation.

The evidence suggests the complete opposite, if anything. What's wrong with just facing facts and admitting England made a complete mess of it themselves in this case. Plain and simple.

Sickening excuse making, brown nosing attempt from Slater, trying to win popularity points from the Anglo's.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Slater's already rather popular over here. One of the best commentators around IMO

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Inclined to agree, much as I like Slats. Everyone's entitled to at least one bum call tho; Greig & Lawry have based long broadcasting careers over them.

GeraintIsMyHero said:
Slater's already rather popular over here. One of the best commentators around IMO
If he's so desperate to appear impartial that he flat out lies as a regular thing....then I'm not surprised you lot feel that way

Slow Love™

International Captain
I have no idea what Slats was talking about. Did he really actually say that? Bizarre comment, if he did.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
BingLeeElectric said:
When he was commentating for SKY last night, nearing the end of the game, he tried to suck up to the pom audience & co-commentator by basically saying words to the affect of, "It's such a shame that the game was decided on the toss" Couldn't believe it.

Utter tripe. So he's saying that the pitch was a road on day 1 then and most of day 2, till the final session when England batted at which time it must have transformed into a minefield. It was of course also terrible for the first part of day three when England got bowled out before miraculously becoming flat again for Aus's 2nd innings. By day 5 it had crumbled to the extent of England making almost 400 in the final innings. What a significant deteriation.

The evidence suggests the complete opposite, if anything. What's wrong with just facing facts and admitting England made a complete mess of it themselves in this case. Plain and simple.

Sickening excuse making, brown nosing attempt from Slater, trying to win popularity points from the Anglo's.

:huh: 8-)

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Slow Love™ said:
I have no idea what Slats was talking about. Did he really actually say that? Bizarre comment, if he did.
yeah...does sound odd seeing he's usually on the money. Don't think the toss had much to do with the result but it was still a good toss to win...

Also think if england bat first in Adelaide it could be a good contest. I don't see them falling in a heap again the way they did in the first innings. If they put 350/400+ on the board we could have a good game.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sqwerty said:
yeah...does sound odd seeing he's usually on the money. Don't think the toss had much to do with the result but it was still a good toss to win...

Also think if england bat first in Adelaide it could be a good contest. I don't see them falling in a heap again the way they did in the first innings. If they put 350/400+ on the board we could have a good game.
Unfortunately, batting's not really the problem.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
Unfortunately, batting's not really the problem.
It's not, but runs on the board always help, and England's attack will look a lot more challenging if they bat into the second day and have 400+ behind them than on the first day on a road.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
To be fair, he also said that although the Toss made a big difference. England should have put their head down and got on with it and couldnt just blame the toss for the woeful performance.

Hardly brown nosing is it?

shortpitched713

International Captain
They played on the same pitch, England made it look like a minefield in their first innings, and then right after that Australia make it look like a road again in their second innings. And then Slater says the toss played a major role? Maybe if by toss he means England bowlers being crap, then yeah it played a major role.

shortpitched713 said:
They played on the same pitch, England made it look like a minefield in their first innings, and then right after that Australia make it look like a road again in their second innings. And then Slater says the toss played a major role? Maybe if by toss he means England bowlers being crap, then yeah it played a major role.
Exactly. Gun post.

You're clearly one of the more gun posters here. Welcome.