• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Am I The Only One That Thinks England Will Win The Ashes

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
I don't get it. Everywhere I go it just seems to be everyone is saying the Aussies are bound to win. As an Englishman , and a realist , I still believe that England can take this series.

Does anyone , English or otherwise agree?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No matter how I hard I wish and wish that England will win the Ashes, I just can't. My head says Australia, my heart says Engl- Australia too.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Probably.

I didn't think we'd get thrashed, and to be honest, I still don't think we will, but I'd be incredibly surprised if we won this series.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Personally speaking my faith in our ability to defend them has moved from sceptical agnosticism to hard-line atheism.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bob Bamber said:
I don't get it. Everywhere I go it just seems to be everyone is saying the Aussies are bound to win. As an Englishman , and a realist , I still believe that England can take this series.

Does anyone , English or otherwise agree?
You missed the first test didn't you?

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
I think England CAN retain the Ashes, but if I'm really honest I doubt they actually will as Australia are so strong at home. If any team in test cricket can win in Australia; a fully fit, full strength and in form England is one of them. The pre-ashes form and the form during the last Ashes was no fluke whatever some Aussies or others might like to think. The thing is this is an out-of-sorts and not fully fit or full strength and in form England team. The thing is no other team can hold their form like the Aussies can, they are just so mentally tough.

Last edited:

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
To stand any chance of even winning a test, never mind the series, the English bowling attack has got to improve a huge amount.

Ironic really, as it was the bowlers who did most in winning the ashes in 2005.

greg

International Debutant
Only if they pick an extra batsman, make Strauss captain, and play Panesar.

So no.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well any realist must know that a number of factors went Englands way last time.

Injuries to McGrath, Pontings decision to bowl, Aussies getting psyched out, lack of injuries until the 5th test for England, dropped catches etc

Man for man they were still the better side.

For England to win this time there needs to be a similar swing in fortune for England.
So for England to win I think the following must happen-

- Harmison must bowl the lights out.
- Key Aussie bowlers must get injured
- Jones must score heavily from number 7
- An argument or disagreement must exist in the Aussie camp that hurts moral and cohesivness

So chances are slim but if the moons align it could still happen

Last edited:
Goughy said:
Well any realist must know that a number of factors went Englands way last time.

Injuries to McGrath, Pontings decision to bat, Aussies getting psyched out, lack of injuries until the 5th test for England, dropped catches etc
And most importantly, the crowd influence on some dubious umpiring decisions as they cracked under pressure and got twitchy fingers.

The LBW rule was only in operation for one of the sides in that series as I recall.

I think that's why the Barmy Army are making such an issue about seating arrangements/ ticketing etc. They know that's the only way they have a chance to win.

greg

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How does an extra batsman help take 20 wickets?
Playing Panesar is the route to 20 wickets. We just have to put our faith in Harmison finding form. This and Strauss being captain takes some of the weight of Flintoff and allows him to bowl at important times, not just when all else has failed.

The extra batsman is there to ensure that we score more runs with our 20 wickets than the Aussies manage with their 20 wickets. Taking 20 wickets is not in itself enough to win a test match.

Basic components of test selection:

1) Pick a bowling attack that can bowl the opposition out in an absolute maximum of five days
2) Pick a batting line up that can score more runs than the opposition in the time remaining.

A balanced side is one that best meets both these objectives.

Scaly piscine

Goughy said:

Injuries to McGrath, Pontings decision to bowl, Aussies getting psyched out, lack of injuries until the 5th test for England, dropped catches etc

Man for man they were still the better side.
Injury to Simon Jones saved Australia from defeat in the 3rd Test. Aussies getting psyched out is rubbish.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Injury to Simon Jones saved Australia from defeat in the 3rd Test. Aussies getting psyched out is rubbish.
Jones got injured in the 4th, iirc, which we won.

Scaly piscine

steds said:
Jones got injured in the 4th, iirc, which we won.
He got cramp and had to go off before he could bowl Australia out with him reversing the ball all over the shop but doing nothing for most of the other bowlers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
greg said:
Taking 20 wickets is not in itself enough to win a test match.
Of course there's more to winning a Test than taking 20 wickets, but you can't win a Test without doing so.

Barring injuries of course.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
He got cramp and had to go off before he could bowl Australia out with him reversing the ball all over the shop but doing nothing for most of the other bowlers.
yeah iirc Harmless had to bowl the last over and only made the batsmen play about one of the balls