• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Barmy Army

Langeveldt

Soutie
I love the way cricket has attracted "The masses" - But can't stand their noise, why do they have to chant like they're watching football?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I love the way cricket has attracted "The masses" - But can't stand their noise, why do they have to chant like they're watching football?
Love their noise. I wish they'd come up with some proper songs instead of sticking to boring, universal soccer chants, though.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
On Sky today, there seemed to be one excessivley drunk bloke, shouting at the top of his voice (I couldn't understand what he was saying), did anyone else hear him?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In the coverage I heard right at the end there was an obviously refreshed punter who kept yelling, "Freddie doesn't like you, Stephen." after Harmy wasn't given the new cherry.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Legends, England fans, cricket and football (the good ones) are the finest support going. Always come back for more, singing louder than ever, and they annoy the Aussies so what more do you want?

The Fanatics? Pfffttt. Amateurs.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
It made me chuckle after lunch when Holding was commentating and they were talking about the fanatics but Mikey kept referring to them as the fantastics

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The fact they kept cheering even though England were getting pretty hammered is fairplay to them.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
UncleTheOne said:
The Fanatics? Pfffttt. Amateurs.
They started out as tennis supporters, what do you expect. Singing at the cricket is just wrong. Cricket Australia commissioned Greg Champion to come up with songs to combat the barmy army, thankfully I haven't heard any of his work, there's no doubt they would be cringeworthy to begin with but after they have been been through the censors at CA, I shudder at the thought.

Craig

World Traveller
superkingdave said:
It made me chuckle after lunch when Holding was commentating and they were talking about the fanatics but Mikey kept referring to them as the fantastics
One too many rums?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
The fact they kept cheering even though England were getting pretty hammered is fairplay to them.
Yeah. I don't mind them or the noise, though I usually associate the songs and so on more with ODI cricket than test cricket. It's funny watching older test cricket clips, even into the early 90s, because of how quiet the crowd is compared to these days. I was watching the 1989 Ashes the other day, and the crowd was just dead silent until a boundary was hit or a wicket fell, in which case there was polite clapping.

ODIs from the 80s are the opposite though.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah. I don't mind them or the noise, though I usually associate the songs and so on more with ODI cricket than test cricket. It's funny watching older test cricket clips, even into the early 90s, because of how quiet the crowd is compared to these days. I was watching the 1989 Ashes the other day, and the crowd was just dead silent until a boundary was hit or a wicket fell, in which case there was polite clapping.

ODIs from the 80s are the opposite though.
Funny you should say that, I find it's completely the opposite in England. There is generally more going on in the field at a faster pace in ODIs, so there is less banter, songs, chants etc from the crowd.

pasag

RTDAS
Anyone listen on radio when they interviewed one of the Barmy Army and they dropped the F word. Awkward radio. Made me laugh stacks.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
Funny you should say that, I find it's completely the opposite in England. There is generally more going on in the field at a faster pace in ODIs, so there is less banter, songs, chants etc from the crowd.
That may be the case now, but I don't think it used to be. If you watch older videos of cricket the crowd is always quieter and more dignified in test cricket, particularly in England, while ODI cricket is usually quite noisy. The exception to this is the West Indies, where the crowd always seems to have made a hell of a lot of noise. ;)