Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Barmy Army

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I like the Barmy Army, they create a great atmosphere and rarely (if ever) seem to cause any trouble. I was at the Gabba on Thursday and was disappointed not to hearthem as much as we probably would have if things had been more favourable for England. I was also right behind the guys that got thrown out for starting the mexican wave! One of their mates was dressed in some sort of tight boxer type number with a koala backpack on backwards and a moustache. As he left we started a chant of 'Borat Borat'...very amusing times.

I think the security measures are a bit over the top to be honest. As are the parking fines...I got one for parking in an area where the weren't any signs saying you couldn't park there and no lines indicating otherwise either...excuse my asterisks but, how the **** am I supposed to know where I can and can't park?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

The rules of the Gabba have barely changed since the last Ashes series so I don't see what they are complaining about.

Back then you weren't allowed to do mexican waves either, and they dislike beach balls too - reason being a few injuries to spectators over the years. I remember one where a guy tried to hit the beach ball but instead smacked the old lady in the seat behind him, breaking her jaw.

The trumpet was confiscated at the start of play, and he smuggled it in after given orders not to take it in - so the boundaries were set whether you agree with them or not (I don't really see the huge issue) and he not only took it in but played it when specifically asked not to. Again though I'm certain this has been a longstanding rule at the Gabba because I can't recall seeing or hearing any of those large plastic horns or anything at the Gabba in recent past years.
    Andrew Symonds 143*

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Yeah. I don't mind them or the noise, though I usually associate the songs and so on more with ODI cricket than test cricket. It's funny watching older test cricket clips, even into the early 90s, because of how quiet the crowd is compared to these days. I was watching the 1989 Ashes the other day, and the crowd was just dead silent until a boundary was hit or a wicket fell, in which case there was polite clapping.
    Yeah, but 1989 was pretty miserable for the home fans. Try 1985 & 1981
    (says he trying desperately to find something to smile about this morning)

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Sam
    The trumpet was confiscated at the start of play, and he smuggled it in after given orders not to take it in - so the boundaries were set whether you agree with them or not (I don't really see the huge issue) and he not only took it in but played it when specifically asked not to. Again though I'm certain this has been a longstanding rule at the Gabba because I can't recall seeing or hearing any of those large plastic horns or anything at the Gabba in recent past years.
    Obviously it's a rule, the question is why is it a rule? Why can't they play instruments? It just doesn't make any sense.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    The guy with the trumpet is getting a bit over the top over it imo. He wasn't allowed to take it in to the grounds this summer in England. (i think part of the reason for the ban on musical instruments over here is the proliferation of air horns last time Pakistan toured - though the official reason was safety)

Much better would be if they designated a certain area/stand where musical instruments were allowed.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Tbh I think the Gabba were bang out of order segregating the Barmy Army and ejecting the trumpeter. Firstly it makes them out to be an especially joyless bunch, and secondly it's just way over the top. I'm sure they didn't eject the Australians who were heckling Alastair Cook after his dropped catch, or for that matter those who were heckling Harmison all day, yet they were far more out of line than the trumpeter FFS. It's unnecessary, unfair, and totally pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Obviously it's a rule, the question is why is it a rule? Why can't they play instruments? It just doesn't make any sense.
    Because people take it too far. A while ago there was an abundance of those plastic trumpets which just made noise and were very annoying to the general crowd. Thats why they brought the rule in. I'm not saying that the Barmy Army trumpeter was in this catergory but unfortunately you can't have one rule for one person and a rule for everyone else. They will just point in the direction of Barmy Army and say if he can do it why can't we. (I'm a school teacher and deal with this sort of attitude everyday)
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

Breakout Champion!
    No instruments allowed. No mexican wave. No singing no dancing no beachballs NO FUN. This is why so many people I know don't like cricket. People go to a sporting event to be entertained, and as cricket is such a slow moving game, much of the time people have to make their own entertainment. "Oh, let's watch Steve Harmison trudge 30 yards back to the end of his runup. That's fun."
    Yes, so one bloke once punched an old lady instead of a beachball. So what? That's one random idiot and it's his fault, not the rest of the crowd's. People get hit by cricket balls when sixes come their way occasionally. Should they play with a sponge ball for health and safety reasons instead? Yes, those ****ing plastic horns are annoying, but this guy didn't have a ****ing plastic horn.
    Seriously, Australia should stop being so gay.
    Last edited by steds; 24-11-2006 at 06:55 AM.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

U19 Vice-Captain pietersenrocks's Avatar
    Love them

Jdz
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Packed out Gabba and the atmosphere is as dead as a test match. I don't mind the 'Barmy Army', I encourage them to be honest.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdz
    Packed out Gabba and the atmosphere is as dead as a test match. I don't mind the 'Barmy Army', I encourage them to be honest.
    If this is an ODI, that might explain why England are getting destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    In the coverage I heard right at the end there was an obviously refreshed punter who kept yelling, "Freddie doesn't like you, Stephen." after Harmy wasn't given the new cherry.
    I heard that on the first days play, I think he was shouting at just about every bowler though.

Pinball Champion!
    Haha, good to see the UK isn't the only killyjoy nanny state nation in the world.. Heard the fellow nearly got arrested for being "in possesion of a trumpet"
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Any chance they can come over here and police the England Football games?

Get rid of that god-awful band.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information