• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Barmy Army

archie mac

International Coach
From the Tele a story about the Barmy Army bugler being ejected for playing his instrument, no warning straight out, and two more evicted for trying to start a Mexican Wave.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
From the Tele a story about the Barmy Army bugler being ejected for playing his instrument, no warning straight out, and two more evicted for trying to start a Mexican Wave.
Have they banned the mexican wave again

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
PhoenixFire said:
On Sky today, there seemed to be one excessivley drunk bloke, shouting at the top of his voice (I couldn't understand what he was saying), did anyone else hear him?
Botham?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
archie mac said:
It said in the paper that the police said it is illegal here (QLD), not sure if that is for the whole of the Country?
Why is the Mexican wave illegal? :blink:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sad to see that the Barmy Army reckon they're not enjoying the test much and some of them even saying they might go home early or tell people yet to come out not to bother.

The inability for them to get seats as a block seems to have killed the mob mentality required to sing and jump up and down for 7 hours straight in searing heat, and there doesn't seem to have been much singing or chanting.

The trumpet player getting thrown out is pathetic! I thought this was a free country - the bloody fun police at Australian stadiums really give me the irrits. I have no problem with strict controls on alcohol and on racial or violent misbehaviour, but why are musical instruments banned? God knows, we wouldn't want people to be having fun at the cricket!

The quote I saw from the organiser of the BA was that "we didn't pay thousands to come out here and be treated like school-kids", and its hard to disagree with him! We're happy to have them over here spending their money, but apparently we don't want any audible support in the crowd for the Poms! (And its only really been noticeable in the past because the BA were the only buggers who showed up for days 3,4, and 5 - as if they would have been that noticeably loud as 8000 people out of a packed 40000 strong crowd)

Matt79

Global Moderator
And they're not just sulking about the score - that's never worried the blighters in the past!

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
I think the problem security have with the mexican wave is that it usually involves the plastic beer cups being thrown in the air. As the day goes on they get thrown with alcohol intact and families, the eldery etc. don't appreciate being showered with beer.

The treatment of the barmy army is pretty ordinary. I don't know why they are so strict with the instruments, let them all sit together in a bay and it isn't a problem.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think the officials are mistreating them because every time they come out here, all us Aussies get quite embarressed that "aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi" is the extent of our crowds repertoire.

I personally go to the cricket to watch cricket, not sing and dance like an idiot, but you can't fault their passion or commitment.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think part of it is also that desperate need to do something that cops seem to have in a lot of situations. With all the panic about racial abuse, violence etc at the grounds they are basically cracking down on everything and ignoring the fact that the crowds have been quite well behaved. The idea that someone would be kicked out of the ground for playing music is just stupid, and I really don't think it would have happened to anyone other than the Barmy Army.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like the Barmy Army, they create a great atmosphere and rarely (if ever) seem to cause any trouble. I was at the Gabba on Thursday and was disappointed not to hearthem as much as we probably would have if things had been more favourable for England. I was also right behind the guys that got thrown out for starting the mexican wave! :laugh: One of their mates was dressed in some sort of tight boxer type number with a koala backpack on backwards and a moustache. As he left we started a chant of 'Borat Borat'...very amusing times.

I think the security measures are a bit over the top to be honest. As are the parking fines...I got one for parking in an area where the weren't any signs saying you couldn't park there and no lines indicating otherwise either...excuse my asterisks but, how the **** am I supposed to know where I can and can't park?

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
The rules of the Gabba have barely changed since the last Ashes series so I don't see what they are complaining about.

Back then you weren't allowed to do mexican waves either, and they dislike beach balls too - reason being a few injuries to spectators over the years. I remember one where a guy tried to hit the beach ball but instead smacked the old lady in the seat behind him, breaking her jaw.

The trumpet was confiscated at the start of play, and he smuggled it in after given orders not to take it in - so the boundaries were set whether you agree with them or not (I don't really see the huge issue) and he not only took it in but played it when specifically asked not to. Again though I'm certain this has been a longstanding rule at the Gabba because I can't recall seeing or hearing any of those large plastic horns or anything at the Gabba in recent past years.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah. I don't mind them or the noise, though I usually associate the songs and so on more with ODI cricket than test cricket. It's funny watching older test cricket clips, even into the early 90s, because of how quiet the crowd is compared to these days. I was watching the 1989 Ashes the other day, and the crowd was just dead silent until a boundary was hit or a wicket fell, in which case there was polite clapping.
Yeah, but 1989 was pretty miserable for the home fans. Try 1985 & 1981 8-)
(says he trying desperately to find something to smile about this morning)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Crazy Sam said:
The trumpet was confiscated at the start of play, and he smuggled it in after given orders not to take it in - so the boundaries were set whether you agree with them or not (I don't really see the huge issue) and he not only took it in but played it when specifically asked not to. Again though I'm certain this has been a longstanding rule at the Gabba because I can't recall seeing or hearing any of those large plastic horns or anything at the Gabba in recent past years.
Obviously it's a rule, the question is why is it a rule? Why can't they play instruments? It just doesn't make any sense.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The guy with the trumpet is getting a bit over the top over it imo. He wasn't allowed to take it in to the grounds this summer in England. (i think part of the reason for the ban on musical instruments over here is the proliferation of air horns last time Pakistan toured - though the official reason was safety)

Much better would be if they designated a certain area/stand where musical instruments were allowed.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tbh I think the Gabba were bang out of order segregating the Barmy Army and ejecting the trumpeter. Firstly it makes them out to be an especially joyless bunch, and secondly it's just way over the top. I'm sure they didn't eject the Australians who were heckling Alastair Cook after his dropped catch, or for that matter those who were heckling Harmison all day, yet they were far more out of line than the trumpeter FFS. It's unnecessary, unfair, and totally pointless.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Obviously it's a rule, the question is why is it a rule? Why can't they play instruments? It just doesn't make any sense.
Because people take it too far. A while ago there was an abundance of those plastic trumpets which just made noise and were very annoying to the general crowd. Thats why they brought the rule in. I'm not saying that the Barmy Army trumpeter was in this catergory but unfortunately you can't have one rule for one person and a rule for everyone else. They will just point in the direction of Barmy Army and say if he can do it why can't we. (I'm a school teacher and deal with this sort of attitude everyday)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
No instruments allowed. No mexican wave. No singing no dancing no beachballs NO FUN. This is why so many people I know don't like cricket. People go to a sporting event to be entertained, and as cricket is such a slow moving game, much of the time people have to make their own entertainment. "Oh, let's watch Steve Harmison trudge 30 yards back to the end of his runup. That's fun."
Yes, so one bloke once punched an old lady instead of a beachball. So what? That's one random idiot and it's his fault, not the rest of the crowd's. People get hit by cricket balls when sixes come their way occasionally. Should they play with a sponge ball for health and safety reasons instead? Yes, those ****ing plastic horns are annoying, but this guy didn't have a ****ing plastic horn.
Seriously, Australia should stop being so gay.

Last edited: