• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke called up

Laurrz

International Debutant
Michael Clarke has been added to the Australian Squad for the first Ashes Test Match in Brisbane as a precaution for injured all-rounder Shane Watson.

Watson injured his hamstring in the Ford Ranger Cup match between the Bulls and Warriors in Perth on Friday and is in serious doubt for the opening Ashes Test.

He will be assessed by Cricket Australia physiotherapist Alex Kountouris on his arrival in Brisbane on Saturday afternoon with a statement on detailed medical tests to be issued on Sunday morning at the earliest.

Clarke, who made two half centuries against England in the three day tour match at the SCG last weekend, got the nod over Queensland all-rounder Andrew Symonds for the position and will join the Australian squad in Brisbane after he plays in the Ford Ranger Cup game for NSW against Tasmania on Sunday.

He will remain with the Australian squad until such time as Shane Watson's condition has been fully assessed by Cricket Australia's medical staff.

--------------

Good decision

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
its on cricket.com.au

what does poor Hodgey have to do to get a look in?

Hodge>>>>>>>>Clarke by a fair margin at the moment.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say Stuart Clark will get in ahead of Tait and Johnson, just because he has more control and isn't as likely to misfire like the other two possibly could. Bit of a shame for Brad Hodge, who batted really well for his state just recently but Michael Clarke hasn't been in terrible FC form. He scored those two half centuries and I think he scored heavily after being dropped from the test side against South Africa.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Can we put Clarke out of his (test) misery for good if he plays and fails again? Jaques should request to bat in the middle order for New South Wales, you can just see them promoting Hussey to opener and reverting to Clarke again once one of the openers gives it away.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:
Can we put Clarke out of his (test) misery for good if he plays and fails again? Jaques should request to bat in the middle order for New South Wales, you can just see them promoting Hussey to opener and reverting to Clarke again once one of the openers gives it away.
For good? Hardly. He's still young and is obviously a massive talent. If he fails again he'll go back to New South Wales and when he starts making consistent runs again and there's a place available he'll return to the side, just like Martyn, Hayden, Langer, Steve Waugh etc. They're hardly going to write off his entire test career because he has an average time of it in his early to mid 20s in tests, especially while he's an ODI regular.

As it stands, he's played in Australia's last two test matches, so he was the obvious choice if Watson wasn't available to replace him.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
If he fails again he'll go back to New South Wales and when he starts making consistent runs again and there's a place available he'll return to the side, just like Martyn, Hayden, Langer, Steve Waugh etc.
I was overstating the forever part but he should have been required to do that before he was recalled for Bangladesh and again this time around - he was technically dropped once more before Watson was injured. It's tough dropping Hodge two matches after scoring an unbeaten double century and then reverting back, twice, at a later stage to someone who hasn't made significant test runs in numerous opportunities over 2 years.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Personally, as a Pom, I'd prefer us to be bowling to Clarke rather than Jaques. Pup looks by far the more fluent player, but one always has the impression he's likely to chuck his wicket away with a rush of blood. Jaques is one of those players who gives lie to the "stylish left-hander" cliche with his predominantly bottom-hand shovels (reminds me slightly of Fat Gray in that respect, but seems to happily lack the tubby paltroon's knobendish personality traits), but looks to have great power of concentration.

Josh

International Regular
mikeW said:
its on cricket.com.au

what does poor Hodgey have to do to get a look in?

Hodge>>>>>>>>Clarke by a fair margin at the moment.
Keep his ****ing mouth shut, I'm tipping.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:
Considering Jaques was picked as opener when Langer was injuried infront of Hussey, i seriously doubt that will happen.

Woodster

International Captain
As an Englishman myself, I would rather see Clarke striding out at 6 than Brad Hodge or Jaques really. I like Clarke and think he probably will become a top class player, but as has been said, you do feel you have a chance with Clarke, where as a Brad Hodge, once set appears to rarely give it away and more often than not goes on to get a biggy.

Josh

International Regular
Woodster said:
As an Englishman myself, I would rather see Clarke striding out at 6 than Brad Hodge or Jaques really. I like Clarke and think he probably will become a top class player, but as has been said, you do feel you have a chance with Clarke, where as a Brad Hodge, once set appears to rarely give it away and more often than not goes on to get a biggy.
Yet doesn't get a bloody game.

Blah, I give up on Hodge. New Victorian to get behind: CL White.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
Yet doesn't get a bloody game.

Blah, I give up on Hodge. New Victorian to get behind: CL White.
Yeah atleast Hodge is half decent, mind you White will probably get quite a few games cus of how crap the rest of the Australian young spinners are.

Josh

International Regular
chaminda_00 said:
Yeah atleast Hodge is half decent, mind you White will probably get quite a few games cus of how crap the rest of the Australian young spinners are.
Would clearly play as a batting all-rounder.

Matt79

Global Moderator
He'll never be an allrounder while he continues to refuse to bowl himself. He surely must see himself as a batsman who can roll the arm over occasionally rather than an allrounder given how little he bowls himself.

Josh

International Regular
Matt79 said:
He'll never be an allrounder while he continues to refuse to bowl himself. He surely must see himself as a batsman who can roll the arm over occasionally rather than an allrounder given how little he bowls himself.
Ponting's come out and said he needs to bowl himself more in order to play for Australia.