• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke called up

Matt79

Global Moderator
Being made captain has probably ruined him in this regard. Its a relatively rare bowler who, particularly when young, can probably balance decisions about how much and when to bowl themselves. someone else in the Vic squad might have demanded more overs from White and produced a more useful bowler.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Matt79 said:
He'll never be an allrounder while he continues to refuse to bowl himself. He surely must see himself as a batsman who can roll the arm over occasionally rather than an allrounder given how little he bowls himself.
he bowled 24 overs the game just gone by. Very interesting to look at Clarke and Whites batting average they are both very similar. Clarke's is 40.01 and White's 37.53 so White is probably further ahead than Clarke was 2 years ago in terms of developement. I think he can make it as a batsmen he just needs to continue making runs like he's doing at the moment and did in England.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Clarke got two fifties in the tour match... its gonna be exciting watching him bat i reckon...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon Hodge has been poorly treated in this instance. He's just come off a hundred and 60*, and a few starts in the Ford Ranger game. It seems like he's in good form. I suspect what got Clarke in ahead of him is the two 50s he got against England. If he had failed I assume with Hodge's current form he would have been selected.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
I reckon Hodge has been poorly treated in this instance. He's just come off a hundred and 60*, and a few starts in the Ford Ranger game. It seems like he's in good form. I suspect what got Clarke in ahead of him is the two 50s he got against England. If he had failed I assume with Hodge's current form he would have been selected.
And the selectors and a whole lot of olds and bolds, and the Sydney media are infatuated with Clarke, whereas Hodge must have run over one of the selectors cats or something... <rant>

I do rate Clarke and see him in the team in the future, but really...

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
For a moment when i first read this I was think Rickie f****** Clarke, why????????????????

Let's not even contemplate it further.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I will never forget the way Clarke got out in the 90's last series, and will forever hold it up as the reason for my dislike of him as a test batsman.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Matt79 said:
And the selectors and a whole lot of olds and bolds, and the Sydney media are infatuated with Clarke, whereas Hodge must have run over one of the selectors cats or something... <rant>

I do rate Clarke and see him in the team in the future, but really...
The fact that Clarke is seen as the future probably helps his cause a little too. Hodge is now in his 30s & does the Oz team (with an eye on future development of the team) really need another ageing batter they'll need to replace sooner rather than later?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I will never forget the way Clarke got out in the 90's last series, and will forever hold it up as the reason for my dislike of him as a test batsman.
It was a freak dismissal really. It wasn't a ball he should have tried to hit necessarily, but he inside-edged it onto his leg and it bounced on to the stumps.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
It wasn't the dismissal, it was the way he went about it. He was on 92 or something, had plenty of time, but Harmison (IIRC) was bowling a good line and he hadn't scored many for a while. Vaughan set a perfect off-side field and instead of toughing it out when finding it hard to score, he just kept trying to slash it out of the freaking ground. Got what he deserved when dismissed.

That situation completely sums him up as a player for mine, and is the reason his FC (and test) average is so low comparitively to players who don't have his natural talent. He has absolutely no ticker, no will to really get in and grind one out for the team. Lacking in guts and temperament, and until he sorts that out, he will never average above 40 again.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
It wasn't the dismissal, it was the way he went about it. He was on 92 or something, had plenty of time, but Harmison (IIRC) was bowling a good line and he hadn't scored many for a while. Vaughan set a perfect off-side field and instead of toughing it out when finding it hard to score, he just kept trying to slash it out of the freaking ground. Got what he deserved when dismissed.

That situation completely sums him up as a player for mine, and is the reason his FC (and test) average is so low comparitively to players who don't have his natural talent. He has absolutely no ticker, no will to really get in and grind one out for the team. Lacking in guts and temperament, and until he sorts that out, he will never average above 40 again.
Yeah, his temprament has been his main problem that has held him back, but there's no particular reason he can't correct that. Certainly he's managed to reign it in when necessary a bit more in ODIs and has started making some bigger scores for NSW and so on. Both his hundreds last season were large ones, and even in the match against England the other day he made his 50 off 100 balls or so. One stupid dismissal (after already making 90+ runs, at that) hardly means he's a poor player.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't recall calling him a bad player, in fact, he's probably one of the most talented young batsmen in the world, but like I said, completely lacks heart IMO and is willing to throw 90 runs of hard work, if not more, to feed his egotistical strokeplay.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I don't recall calling him a bad player, in fact, he's probably one of the most talented young batsmen in the world, but like I said, completely lacks heart IMO and is willing to throw 90 runs of hard work, if not more, to feed his egotistical strokeplay.
A bit harsh...a bit impatient maybe but lacking heart? He's just young and and enthusiastic, it takes some longer to learn to 'build an innings' as they say. He's only played 22 tests and has done ok. I think if anything will motivate him to be more careful with his wicket it will be his recent omission, I think you will see a more patient Clarke if he plays.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
That "egotistical strokeplay" is the same thing that got him the 90 runs in the first place. I agree that Clarke needs to get a better handle on when to attack and when to let things go a bit, but that's a problem many young batsmen have had, like say Martyn and Ponting, not to mention Steve Waugh. It doesn't mean he's got no heart, and there's no reason that he can't correct it and be a valuable member of the side, even immediately. He's only played three or four tests since the Ashes and his signs for NSW and so on are pretty good, so I really don't see how you can hold a single dismissal from last year against him.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
That "egotistical strokeplay" is the same thing that got him the 90 runs in the first place. I agree that Clarke needs to get a better handle on when to attack and when to let things go a bit, but that's a problem many young batsmen have had, like say Martyn and Ponting, not to mention Steve Waugh. It doesn't mean he's got no heart, and there's no reason that he can't correct it and be a valuable member of the side, even immediately. He's only played three or four tests since the Ashes and his signs for NSW and so on are pretty good, so I really don't see how you can hold a single dismissal from last year against him.
In Smith's defence, during the Ashes, and before and immediately after the Ashes he was that type of player, who no matter what the situation was throwing the bat at anything outside offstump. It worked for a while until opposition planners figured him out. His average dropped from something like mid 50s to mid 30s in no time, and that is why he was rightfully dropped, while other people (this forum and ex-players) were saying he should stay, which was ridiculous.

He's definitely got the talent, but not the tempratment atm. If he can change that he could have a very successful career or a Blewett like career.

howardj

International Coach
In the interests of team stability, they should just announce the XI tomorrow, and rule Watson out and choose between the quicks. These guys are not experienced enough to be kept waiting on edge, in the lead up to the biggest series in the modern era.

Johnners

Wish they'd just tell us, we're all getting Hungry for the main event and need the Hors doerves in the lead up!