• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson's injury

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As reported on CW, Shane Watson has come down with a hammie strain just 6 days pre-Ashes.

Assume for a moment he doesn't play. What are the options? It affects more than the number 6 spot imo.

If Watson's out, I think the selectors are far less likely to be tempted by either Johnson or Tait and are more likely to stick with a line and length merchant like S Clark. Thoughts?

As for the No. 6 spot, imo they'll go for M Clarke, but I'd like to see Jaques bat there, although it would mean yet another leftie to handle the expected around the wicket assault form Freddie. What do we all think?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Watson isn't fit then I think they will go with Michael Clarke, he can also bowl a few extra overs if Ponting needs him to.

oz_fan

International Regular
Burgey said:
As reported on CW, Shane Watson has come down with a hammie strain just 6 days pre-Ashes.

Assume for a moment he doesn't play. What are the options? It affects more than the number 6 spot imo.

If Watson's out, I think the selectors are far less likely to be tempted by either Johnson or Tait and are more likely to stick with a line and length merchant like S Clark. Thoughts?

As for the No. 6 spot, imo they'll go for M Clarke, but I'd like to see Jaques bat there, although it would mean yet another leftie to handle the expected around the wicket assault form Freddie. What do we all think?
If Watson is gone they will probably want to stick with the safe option and go with Clark as the 3rd bowler.

I'd also like to see Jaques in the team but I'm pretty sure that if Watson is gone than they'll go with Clarke.

Josh

International Regular
Symonds a definite chance in my books for his last ever attempt at test glory.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, just heard Mike Hussey on Sydney radio and he said Watson's injury looked pretty bad when he saw him after last night's domestic one dayer.

howardj

International Coach
Jaques has earnt that spot. My view is that, in the longer form of the game, batting positions are over-rated. Moreover, it would be a nice way to ease him into the side, with a view to sliding him up to Open when Langer or Hayden eventually fall by the wayside.

I feel that the vacancy will go to Clarke though.

Please no Andrew Symonds.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I would assume they would go Clarke, but Jaques and Symonds are also botha pretty reasonable chance, Symonds got 5 wickets last FC game he played.

As i said in the tour games thread i think Boof would be the best option, but they wont pick him.

Perm

I doubt they will go back to Darren Lehman and hopefully Andrew Symonds never wears a baggy green again, he is just not meant to be a test cricketer. It would be nice to see Jaques given a go, but Michael Clarke did score a couple of 50's against the English not that long ago and when he has played Pura Cup for NSW after being dropped last year he made some big scores if I remember correctly.

andyc

Anyone who seriously thinks Symonds should be back in the team should be shot. While I'd prefer Jaques or Hodge to come in, it'll probably be Clarke who gets a game if Watson is out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jaques or Hodge should be the contenders. Clarke still has to earn his spot back IMO. But Clarke is definitely the favourite for the spot.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Geez why did he have to get injured now, this is a big test for him i hope the report 2moro shows he ok and that he will be fit come next thursday.