• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne in the Ashes

Shane Warne`s performance in the Ashes?

• 2 - Few wickets, little influence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Hardly. Wickets on a 5th day pitch are good, but don`t determine his success in the series.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After Pietersen was so patient to Warne during the 1st innings and played him beautifully it was very good to see Warne come back with a ripper. Who do you think will hold the pyschological edge between these two going into the 3rd test at the WACA?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Perm said:
After Pietersen was so patient to Warne during the 1st innings and played him beautifully it was very good to see Warne come back with a ripper. Who do you think will hold the pyschological edge between these two going into the 3rd test at the WACA?
Pietersen leads Warne 2-1 atm. Warne may have a little edge after getting him in the 2nd innings. Bowlers usually always get the last laugh.

Hayden_29437

Cricket Spectator
Warne always gets wickets and the english struggle to play him (except KP) so i think the next 3 tests will bring 25 more wickets

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Warne's been inbetween good and very good this Ashes series, but definitely not great like in 1993, 2001 and the incredible 2005 year. What I will say though, is that while he hasn't been great, I don't think I've seen a bowler with as much bad luck as Shane Warne this series.

Ian Bell looks absolutely clueless, and while I enjoy his more confrontational manner against Warne, he still has moments when Warne has him tied in knots. There hasn't been a significent Bell score made without Warne beating the edge about 10 times. In one innings he beat the edge about four times in one over - all close. It was an example of complete mastery of the batsman, but without a wicket.

Paul Collingwood was much the same in making his double hundred. While Beefy said it was a flawless innings, it really was a tremendous innings with a bit of luck. Warne beat him on many, many occasions, and yet no reward for whatsoever.

Warne this series has been an example of absolute mastery of his art, with all his subtleties, and while he's been a bit loose at times, he's had most batsmen in knots. Even against Kevin Pietersen he's beaten him a few times. I have their rivalry at 2-1 Pietersen, since at Brisbane they hardly met in the first innings, and in the second Pietersen was fantastic. He was the same in the first innings at Adelaide, but was bowled in the second innings. You could call it either way for the first innings at the WACCA since McGrath dropped him off Warne, but then Pietersen took control and hit a six. So it could be 3-1 or 2-2. Currently I saw Warne keep Pietersen quiet and beat him a few times in the current second innings.

This isn't even delving into the amount of close misses Cook had. I thought he was clearly out lbw early on, and had a close lbw call later on as well when the ball hit his back leg (but it wasn't out IMO). Warne was nearly tearing his hair out with all the close misses.

But yeah, he's been bowling very well without any reward. One of the rare moments in all my years of watching a cricket that I've seen a bowler with such little reward for such hard toil. One could easily look at his stats and say he's out of form, while in reality he turned the series on its head at Adelaide.

But as someone who can respect greatness when he sees it, I gotta say Warne's also been annoying me more than ever lately. We already know of his excessive appealing, but even his back-chat to the bowlers is annoying. This whole aura of arrogance and disrespect toward the batsman is pretty poor. If he could have controlled his behavious more he'd have almost an unrivalled legacy in the history of cricket.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Even when you have a genius like Lara or Tendulkar, when you're playing against Warne, you will have at least one chance or piece of luck, it's how good the bloke is.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Francis, I`ve just finished all my skittles, but I hope you get some reward for your posting in some form. :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Francis said:
But as someone who can respect greatness when he sees it, I gotta say Warne's also been annoying me more than ever lately. We already know of his excessive appealing, but even his back-chat to the bowlers is annoying. This whole aura of arrogance and disrespect toward the batsman is pretty poor. If he could have controlled his behavious more he'd have almost an unrivalled legacy in the history of cricket.
Ahh true my friend, but it could take away his very gift.

I agree with the rest of your post and welcome you back :D. Both Cook and Bell looked so shaky, yet turned in good scores (Cook a century). There was one over I recall specifically and Warne got hit for 12, 3 4's but Bell almost got out the other 3 balls off nicks, and one of his 4's just went over Symonds. Cook looked like he was going to get out every ball before his century. As you said, the stats just won't show how great Warne was this match.