Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "No-Loyalty" XI for the Gabba

The "No-Loyalty" XI for the Gabba

If you disregarded past-service, reputations, and team stability and just picked the 11 players you thought would produce the most wickets and runs for the team in the 1st Test (ie. ignoring the rest of series). For the Aussie team, I'd bring in Jaques, Haddin, and Johnson AND Clark for a team of:

Hayden
    Jaques
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Hussey
    Watson
    Haddin
    Warne
    Lee
    Clark
    Johnson.

Obviously you'd never select this team, but for the sake of argument.

For England with Trescothick pulled out probably WILL play all the batsmen who have been in recent runs of form, but you'd surely include Monty over Giles. Harmison is a gamble, he looks dodgy, but he may click (and probably needs to if England are to win) and run through the Aussies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    If you disregarded past-service, reputations, and team stability and just picked the 11 players you thought would produce the most wickets and runs for the team in the 1st Test (ie. ignoring the rest of series). For the Aussie team, I'd bring in Jaques, Haddin, and Johnson AND Clark for a team of:

Hayden
    Jaques
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Hussey
    Watson
    Haddin
    Warne
    Lee
    Clark
    Johnson.

Obviously you'd never select this team, but for the sake of argument.

For England with Trescothick pulled out probably WILL play all the batsmen who have been in recent runs of form, but you'd surely include Monty over Giles. Harmison is a gamble, he looks dodgy, but he may click (and probably needs to if England are to win) and run through the Aussies.
    Could argue a case for Clarke or Hodge in place of Watson on the account that they'd more than likely score more runs than him, and i'm not quite convinced that Watto will be making huge impacts with the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    I think we, but KP especially, will take Watto to the cleaners. He has to play though, best AR prospect for years and he looks like Corey Feldman.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    One gets the feeling that KP will take everyone to the cleaners, even Warne.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Jaques
    Langer
    Ponting
    Hodge
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Gilchrist
    Warne
    Lee
    Johnson
    McGrath
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I'd go with the same XI that I think will be picked, to be honest. I don't think Jaques should be in the side just yet, and I certainly don't think McGrath should be out of it. Martyn's in good form and should be picked also.

The only questionable one for me is Watson, who I think should be picked mainly because of what he is capable of in the long term. Clarke or Hodge are probably more likely to make big runs in the first test.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

If my life depended on Australia winning the Ashes

Jacques
    Hayden
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Haddin
    Lee
    Warne
    MacGill
    Clark

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    If my life depended on Australia winning the Ashes

Jacques
    Hayden
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Hussey
    Clarke
    Haddin
    Lee
    Warne
    MacGill
    Clark
    No McGrath is insane. He's not only your best bowler, he's the most experienced one to boot. If things start to go wrong, I'd rather have McGrath than anyone else in the world with the ball in his hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Yeah. He's easily the most reliable bowler in the country under pressure. It'd be insane to leave him out of the side, whether he's in form or not. And seriously, he bowled pretty damn well in India. Give him a pitch with a bit of life in it like we saw last year and I think he'll run through England.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    No McGrath is insane. He's not only your best bowler, he's the most experienced one to boot. If things start to go wrong, I'd rather have McGrath than anyone else in the world with the ball in his hand.
    Please give it a rest, you don't have to take any possible inkling that somebody might be better than McGrath as a personal insult.

The whole point of the thread is that it is about current form and so on, and for mine and few other people's money, Johnson is just a better bet than McGrath.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    Please give it a rest, you don't have to take any possible inkling that somebody might be better than McGrath as a personal insult.

The whole point of the thread is that it is about current form and so on, and for mine and few other people's money, Johnson is just a better bet than McGrath.
    I wish you were an Aussie selector.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    I wish you were an Aussie selector.
    So do I.

I left out McGrath and specified that you're selecting for a one-off match at the Gabba, not for the whole series. I think McGrath will obviously do better than Johnson across the 5 match series, but I also think he's played 1 FC game and half a dozen ODIs in a year, so to expect him to rock up to the Gabba and be the best bowler in the team is damn unrealistic. But he'll still be a force to be reckoned with and will be a lot better for the run. If he doesn't get injured, I'd expect him to improve throughout the series until he's back near top form for the last couple of tests. But if I wanted somebody to play tomorrow and didn't want to be concerned about them being shagged after two decent length spells and rusty to boot, and wasn't worried about playing anyone back into form, I'd pick Johnson..

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    Is that why McGrath was the better bowler in the most recent series - the CT?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    I left out McGrath and specified that you're selecting for a one-off match at the Gabba, not for the whole series. I think McGrath will obviously do better than Johnson across the 5 match series, but I also think he's played 1 FC game and half a dozen ODIs in a year, so to expect him to rock up to the Gabba and be the best bowler in the team is damn unrealistic. But he'll still be a force to be reckoned with and will be a lot better for the run. If he doesn't get injured, I'd expect him to improve throughout the series until he's back near top form for the last couple of tests. But if I wanted somebody to play tomorrow and didn't want to be concerned about them being shagged after two decent length spells and rusty to boot, and wasn't worried about playing anyone back into form, I'd pick Johnson..
    I'd still take McGrath - short on match form and all - ahead of an untried and still raw Mitchell Johnson. I'd fully expect McGrath to have a bigger impact. The expectations upon Johnson are unrealistic. He's only just started to really come along as a bowler.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information