Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "No-Loyalty" XI for the Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    McGrath is a different case and I think there was some legitimate worries, but they were settled a few weeks back IMO.
    True. I was worried about playing McGrath, if he didn't get back to something nearing his best, and Clark (more of a reflection on my opinion of Clark) together before the champions trophy finals and the warm up games in Australia.
    Last edited by Great Birtannia; 24-11-2006 at 02:38 AM.

Its hard as well, because whilst I love the guys in the current team, you get the feeling sometimes that we are almost being 'robbed' of the best years of guys like Jaques. I don't want the current guys to get axed, but I'd love to see some of the exciting young talent around the place getting a chance - players like Mitchell Johnson and Cosgrove. I think its why people like Clarke so much - he still had that youthful enthusiasm and spontenaity when he came into the team. The seasoned pros like Hussey are awesome, but you kinda miss seeing players who aren't fully developed cutting their teeth and developing in front of you, like we got to see with the Waugh brothers, or Shane Warne or McGrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    *COUGH* Told ya so *COUGH*
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Let's all calm down, he's only taken two wickets. There's plenty of grounded cricket balls for him to negotiate yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    First wicket was fluke, second was a quality delivery.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Let's all calm down, he's only taken two wickets. There's plenty of grounded cricket balls for him to negotiate yet.
    The wickets don't have all that much to do with it for me. Obviously it was nice that he took a couple, and the ball to get Cook was spectacular, but it was more the fact that he was bowling in the low to mid 130s, getting sharp movement off the seam on a fairly pedestrian surface, and beating the edge and getting LBW shouts and so on. Basically, he was still McGrath.

Radar was off a little in the first couple of overs though, I think the Strauss wicket settled him down a bit.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    That Cook delivery was something special. Remniscent of McGrath at his peak. Not saying that he's past it, but it was a quality bit of bowling.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Definately, the ball to Strauss was in the right area too, probably just a tad short but it encticed Strauss into a miscued shot. Then the ball he bowled to Alistair Cook was absolutely marvellous, McGrath at his best really. Just goes to show that the English bowlers didn't get it right, they were too short and not getting the bastman to come forward.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    First wicket was fluke, second was a quality delivery.
    What - drawing an opening batsman into a stupid shot and exposing a technical flaw? If that's a fluke, he's been doing it consistently for a decade.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    I`d like to see McGrath when he`s not past it.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Funniest thread.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

My turn to dig out this thread. Hope Langer and McGrath can turn it around.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    My turn to dig out this thread. Hope Langer and McGrath can turn it around.
    Yeah, I'm a bit worried too, especially about Langer. He's only averaging 93 for the series now.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I wonder if Lee, will be dropped for Tait / Johnson at some point in this series?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I have to say the Sky team were being a little previous in the reposting of the McGrath obituary in the lunch break, Atherton especially (although with his record against the great man one can possibly understand him enjoying a spot of schadenfruede at his expense). He did looked pretty ordinary pre-lunch admittedly (I crashed & burnt after so didn't see the last two sessions), but it is a truism that when players get to a certain age a blip in form is seen as terminal. Dead flat track & a bruised heel would hamper anyone's effectiveness.

Whether he should have played with his heel is rather more open to debate, he's not 100% for me & with the 4 man attack someone really should have taken a firmer hand. It's a no-brainer that any player worth his salt (especially seamers, who're not generally renowned for their acumen as a group ) is going to want to play; the question is really should he have? It was reported on Sky here the final decision was left up to McGrath because "he knows his body best" & then at the same time people are saying "he'd need his foot amputed to miss the test". Slight contradiction for mine...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information