• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick out of Ashes

Barney Rubble

International Coach
steds said:
He is a tool imo. He tried to pick and choose which series he wanted to play in and it's backfired completely. He's either fit to play for England or not. He's left one tour before and suffered a recurrence, so I don't know why he should have thought it'd just completely disappear completely over the course of the Champions Trophy. Him and the England management should have known better, therefore they're all tools.
He's not "picking and choosing". Don't you think a player like him - by that I mean someone who's never shown less than 100% commitment to the cause - would want to play as many games for his country as possible? If he was mentally and physically fit to play he would be. To blame this on him is to do him a great injustice IMO.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
He's not "picking and choosing".
"I've only felt like this since about February, so I'll just skip the Champions Trophy, it'll go away and I'll be as right as rain for the Ashes" sounds either incredibly naïve and stupid or remarkably like picking and choosing to me.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Bit harsh Steds, old bean.

Clinical depression, bi-polar or whatever it is he has is pretty unpredictable, not to mention quite unnerving to get late on-ish in life, so not really surprising they've made a bit of a horlicks of things.

Nishant

International 12th Man
This might sound a bit harsh but he really does need to be dropped! I'm not an england fan, but can understand the the way some fans would be feeling now! Trescothick doesn't get runs in the warm up game and so gets depressed again! Maybe its a little more that that, but from my perspective, i can't see it in any other way. He has prevented another batsman like Key or Shah etc, to get well prepared. Surely, thats frustrating!

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Poor old Trescotothick. Has he ever thought of taking anti depressants? Oh right, yeah, all drugs are illegal now, arent they?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Without wanting to sound harsh, the minumum i would expect before Trescothick should get selected for England again is a full season with Somerset and an A Tour without incident.

He is obviously suffering from a serious condition, and best wishes to him in getting over it. There is no way he should even be considered for the World Cup though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
look its very rough to see England's most consistent batsman of the last 5 years go through this, hopefully he gets over this and is back scoring runs for England soon, hopefully the world cup, but i reckon we may not see him until next season vs WI/IND.

With regards to the ashes is a blow even though he hasn't been in great form recently, regardless of his poor record in Australia, him out leaves a big whole in the batting line-up.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Bit harsh Steds, old bean.

Clinical depression, bi-polar or whatever it is he has is pretty unpredictable, not to mention quite unnerving to get late on-ish in life, so not really surprising they've made a bit of a horlicks of things.
I know about Bipolar disorder and know what it does. My Grandad suffers from it. His mother and sister both also had it and both took their own lives. Anyone who has bipolar or clinical depression or anything else like that has my deepest sympathies and best wishes.
But Trescothick has not said that he has either of those. Instead of saying "Look, this is what I've got and I need to take some considerable time away from cricket while I get myself sorted out in some way" (although a condition like that is impossible to get rid of totally), which I think would have been the right course of action for him, he's hidden it and pretty much said "I'm not telling you why, but I'm going to sit out the odd tournament then come back pretending everything's perfect when it's clearly not and I'll have to go home midway through yet another tour."

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Joyce
Shah
Key
Dalrymple
Bopara
Prior
Yardy
Davies (wk)
(Clarke)
Not good enough IMO, would much rather too see Vaughan make a recovery and be fit and drafted in or one of the old boys in Butcher and Ramprakash.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
steds said:
I know about Bipolar disorder and know what it does. My Grandad suffers from it. His mother and sister both also had it and both took their own lives. Anyone who has bipolar or clinical depression or anything else like that has my deepest sympathies and best wishes.
But Trescothick has not said that he has either of those. Instead of saying "Look, this is what I've got and I need to take some considerable time away from cricket while I get myself sorted out in some way" (although a condition like that is impossible to get rid of totally), which I think would have been the right course of action for him, he's hidden it and pretty much said "I'm not telling you why, but I'm going to sit out the odd tournament then come back pretending everything's perfect when it's clearly not and I'll have to go home midway through yet another tour."
Who says he hasn't admitted to having bi-polar disorder? He might not have said it to prying reporters who want a story or to the public but that's his business and not mine or yours. He obviously has said "Look, this is what I've got..." but to the people who need to know as opposed to those who just want to. He doesn't owe the public anything in terms of an explanation as to his illness.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
steds said:
He is a tool imo. He tried to pick and choose which series he wanted to play in and it's backfired completely. He's either fit to play for England or not. He's left one tour before and suffered a recurrence, so I don't know why he should have thought it'd just completely disappear completely over the course of the Champions Trophy. Him and the England management should have known better, therefore they're all tools.

So you think he doesn't want to play in the Ashes. Doesn't take a genius to see who the real tool is.......

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Gloucefan said:
He obviously has said "Look, this is what I've got..." but to the people who need to know
And the fact that those people who need to know have allowed him to try to carry on like nothing has happened is sconyedded.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow. A turn up for the books, as they say.

I suspect (and this is sheer guesswork on my part) that he may've hurried himself back too soon because he desperately wanted to be part of The Ashes defence. He's clearly in quite a bad place just now, so I think he's made the correct decision. A brave one too, for mine, because he's old enough to know what will be said about it.

I suppose Shah is the next cab off the rank, but no real outstanding candidates outside the test squad this side of 30.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
You implied it.
can't see where he has tbh, he's implied he didn't want to do the CT but hasn't implied anything about the Ashes beyond possibly kidding himself & others that he would be alright for it