Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes Commentary

Ashes Commentary

This is the place to have a dig and give a pat on the back to the Ashes commentators throughout the Summer.

Not sure who is doing radio this year, but this is the official line-up on Channel Nine this year:

Benaud
    Chappell
    Greig
    Nicholas
    Slater
    Lawry
    Healy
    Taylor
    Tufnell
    and a new girl - Stephanie Brantz.

Here’s hoping Sky have their own broadcast team, usually we get direct feeds from the nine boys but I really can’t stand some of those ‘characters’. As tosser’s go Nicholas is numero uno.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Sky will have their own team, BBC i think is taking Nine's for their highlights.

I assume Sky will have

Hussain
    Gower
    Atherton
    Holding
    Botham
    Bumble
    + an Aussie

hopefully not Willis.

Not much to choose between the two, don't like Botham, or Gower particularly, but i think Hussain and Atherton are improving and i like Bumble for his irreverant banter. Don't particularly like the Nine line up apart from Slater who was pretty good when he did Channel 4 in the past, Hate Nicholas and i think Benaud's on the decline.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    It may be another year of listening to the radio and watching the cricket. Lets just hope they have the sound in sync with the pictures this year

The radio team (ABC) will include Jim Maxwell, Damien Fleming, Skull and Jonathan Agnew
    You know it makes sense.

International Captain
    I really wish we could have the Australian commentary team in England instead of the boring Sky numpties. Radio 4 in the UK will be even worse with Jonathon - I will say "quite frankly" 10 times a session - Agnew, and Graham - I can't complete a sentence without saying "and eh" - Gooch.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sky website
    while Ashes hero Bob Willis shares his views from back home.
    good news imo, keep him as far away as possible. People need to stay awake.

Love the fact that his piece on the sky is entitled "Willis: Out of Harm's way"
    Last edited by superkingdave; 12-11-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Will be listening to most of the cricket this year, can't exactly stop work n sit in the lunch room all day

TBH i think the ABC line-up is fantastic with a few exceptions.

Jim Maxwell
    Glenn Mitchell
    Kerry O'Keefe
    Jonathan Agnew
    Peter Roebuck
    Damien Fleming
    Belinda Clark
    Terry Alderman
    Geoff Lawson

Skull, Agnew, Robey, Maxwell, Mitchell & Blowers are all guns imo, and are always fascinating to listen to. Fleming, Alderman & Lawson on the other hand have a distinct ability to make things seem boring, and really cheese me off.

Loving the fact that i won't have to listen to Mark Nicholas all that often either, sheesh, honestly someone shut him up!!!! Will miss Slats, Benaud & Heals tbh. Top 3 Channel at Channel 9 IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    Sky will have their own team, BBC i think is taking Nine's for their highlights.

I assume Sky will have

Hussain
    Gower
    Atherton
    Holding
    Botham
    Bumble
    + an Aussie

hopefully not Willis.

Not much to choose between the two, don't like Botham, or Gower particularly, but i think Hussain and Atherton are improving and i like Bumble for his irreverant banter. Don't particularly like the Nine line up apart from Slater who was pretty good when he did Channel 4 in the past, Hate Nicholas and i think Benaud's on the decline.
    I like Atherton and Hussain a fair bit. I think more often than not they make very interesting points and you can clearly see why they were both England captains for quite a while(Hussain more so than Atherton). While Lloyd isnt particularly brilliant when it comes to his knowledge of the game, at least he provides some comic relief as opposed to the likes of Botham and WIllis who spend most of their time complaining about some ridiculous non-issue which they usually end up being wrong about anyways. Gower and Nicholas are decent as well IMO without being spectacular. At least Nicholas can get do the melodrama quite well.
    From the Australian side, even though i know it wont happen(it'll probably end up being Lehmann or someone else), id like to see Ian Chappell. I think he knows a lot more about the game than almost everyone else in the box. Probably alongside Geoffrey Boycott when it comes to his opinions about the game.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

I like Flem, TBH.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I didn't mind Fleming when I first heard him, but he's really starting to bug me now.

As usual the 9 team will have a couple of decent people and a bunch of tools. Can't go wrong with Benaud and Slater, so at least they should bring the standard up a bit. I don't really mind Nicholas that much either, he's certainly better than the likes of Healy and Lawry.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I didn't mind Fleming when I first heard him, but he's really starting to bug me now.

As usual the 9 team will have a couple of decent people and a bunch of tools. Can't go wrong with Benaud and Slater, so at least they should bring the standard up a bit. I don't really mind Nicholas that much either, he's certainly better than the likes of Healy and Lawry.
    You can tollerate Benaud? Fair enough.

I can't stand his commentary. He hasn't added anything new since 1979.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    You can tollerate Benaud? Fair enough.

I can't stand his commentary. He hasn't added anything new since 1979.
    I love him tbh, always will. I'll cry like a little girl the day he dies.

Burger Time Champion!
    I love him tbh, always will. I'll cry like a little girl the day he dies.
    So will I. I just won't when he leaves the commentary box. That's assuming that he doesn't die with a microphone in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    So will I. I just won't when he leaves the commentary box. That's assuming that he doesn't die with a microphone in hand.
    Don't get me wrong, he's not the commentator he used to be by a long shot, but he still adds some desperately needed class to that 9 commentary box, IMO. The likes of Healy and Lawry are such a waste of space that Benaud looks like a wordsmith by comparison, even into his late 70s as he is.

I really think Benaud was a superb commentator up until a few years ago, though. Witty, knowledgable, unbiased and professional. Certainly the best television commentator I've ever heard.

Burger Time Champion!
    Don't get me wrong, he's not the commentator he used to be by a long shot, but he still adds some desperately needed class to that 9 commentary box, IMO. The likes of Healy and Lawry are such a waste of space that Benaud looks like a wordsmith by comparison, even into his late 70s as he is.

I really think Benaud was a superb commentator up until a few years ago, though. Witty, knowledgable, unbiased and professional. Certainly the best television commentator I've ever heard.
    They're all fair points. While I agree on Lawry, can't agree on Healy. His enthusiasm for hawkeye is something that always brings a chuckle.

As far as Beneaud goes, I'm sick of the, "Ah yes,..." followed by a long pause, "cracking shot."

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information