• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Commentary

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
I thought Chappell was pretty awful today...he just doesn't seem to get along with the others. Like when he was asked why changes should be made to what could be a winning team he answered "you pick your team, I'll pick mine" and an uneasy silence followed. Highly entertaining of course, but still.
Haha yeah, he's pretty crabby, and I certainly don't think he has much respect for the likes of Lawry, though that is understandable. I thought there was a bit of tension between Lawry and Slater today too.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've actually found a new liking for Ian Chappell, I never used to like him but after listening to some of the things he says I've changed my mind. Love Mark Nicholas, I think he's great. Not a big fan of Slater or Healy though, quite like the older trio of Lawry, Greig and Benaud. They tell some interesting stories of when they were playing. One thing that does bug me is quite often the commentators state the most obvious thing and say stuff like "He's pushed that to cover". I'm pretty sure it was Richie Benaud that said the key to being a good commentator is not to tell the audience what they can see for themselves.

archie mac

International Coach
Listened to a little bit of the TV commentary when I had lunch at the club ($8.50, for a T-Bone and chips) they were talking about (Healy) how Ponting struggled with his footwork until he was about 40. On the radio they were saying how good Ponting looked from the very start of his innings, especially his footwork:wacko:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Listened to a little bit of the TV commentary when I had lunch at the club ($8.50, for a T-Bone and chips) they were talking about (Healy) how Ponting struggled with his footwork until he was about 40. On the radio they were saying how good Ponting looked from the very start of his innings, especially his footwork:wacko:
I think you'll find that the explaination lies in Healy being an idiot. Ponting looked brilliant from the very start of his innings, in stark contrast to the way he usually plays, where he looks terrible early on. I can only assume Healy was generalising based on that.

archie mac

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think you'll find that the explaination lies in Healy being an idiot. Ponting looked brilliant from the very start of his innings, in stark contrast to the way he usually plays, where he looks terrible early on. I can only assume Healy was generalising based on that.
Could have been, the sound was not turned right up, so I may be doing I. Healy a great disservice, but that was what I though I heard him say.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Lawry was on fire at the end there just before Warne came on - they showed that "and he's a Victorian sign" as he started talking. Cue "this great Victorian (Benaud: "Is there any other kind Bill?"), everyone in Victoria loves him, everyone in Straya loves him, soon we'll be down at the MCG with 95,000 fans in the great stadium" etc etc. Plus the occasional squeak when he gets excited. Had me in stitches. Coulda sworn it was Billy Birmingham in there.

Anyway, Chappell's grown on me as well in the last year or so. He's still as boring as bat **** and cranky as hell, but he's a decent analyst of the game. Slater's good, I like hime as a commentator. Used to like Nicholas, but I've become overwhelmed by the smarminess he exudes though in the last year or so. Greig and Lawry are muppets, but they have their genuinely good moments. Taylor and Healy are dreadful, they can't wait to kiss the arses of some of the Australian players and it's really irritating to listen to.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say Healy is possibly the worst commentator out there. Just dreadful. Offers nothing in the way of analysis &, unlike other "cheerleader" style commentators like Bumble & Lawry who at least have a genuine enthusiasm for the game, he delivers it all in a chippily sacastic & smug way.

Mentioning Taylor or Slats in the same context as him is borderline libel for mine. :p

Matt79

Global Moderator
Damien Fleming on ABC radio has actually been alright IMO. Except he sounds a lot like Healy. Is it just me or are there not many regular ex-fast bowler commentators? Michael Holding and... Fleming I suppose. He was interesting analysing Harmy today I thought.

Chappelli can be alright analysing the game except he gets cranky and obsessive if he thinks the fielding captain is making a mistake and just goes on and on about it. Bill amuses me, even if a lot of what he says is stupid, I love watching Australia bowl with him in the chair. Makes me feel better about jumping out of my seat with a 12th man style "Got him, gone, yes! **** off, back to the pavillion!" when Bill's doing it at the same time.

I quite like Slats commentating actually - he doesn't act like he knows EVERYTHING about cricket and communicates his enthusiasm for the game well IMO.

Richie is still the king, but I'm really enjoying Skull and Aggers, particularly when they're together.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Healy is occasionally interesting when one of the other commentators prompts him to discuss in detail what a keeper is doing right or wrong, but he has to be prompted and is dire otherwise.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think it's great having Slater on our screens again. Love this whole sharing commentators thing. Will Benaud not be having a go?

I know he says he doesn't do free-to-air, so I guess not.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Have to say enjoying Nine commentary this year. Some of the new additions like Slater and Mark Nicholas ask the guys like Chappell, Benaud and Greig good questions and actually provoke some interesting conversation.

Highlights for me today of the commentary was Chappell and Greig discussing how'd they would have attempted to play McGrath when he was hitting the cracks, Chappell's analysis of Strauss and Pieterson's problems hooking, and the interview with Beefy, which wasn't strictly commentary but was part of the coverage. Its good hearing guys like Gower as well.

Matt79

Global Moderator
The little squeezer on "Offsiders" this morning was annoying me, carrying on about how Ponting didn't enforce the follow on because Channel 9 and Cricket Australia told him to, and how not doing so had damaged the sport of cricket. I hate journos like him who feel the need to stake out some kind of imaginery moral high ground and insist that sportsmen are responsible for keeping them happy before any other commitment, just because they can't be arsed thinking of anything decent to fill their column. Gideon Haigh put him back in his box I thought.

EDIT: I think his name is Gerard Waiteley or similar

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Buddhmaster said:
I don't think I hate anyone more than I hate Mark Nicholas. The guy's a dead set wanker.
Watch it, you can say you don't like someone, but I would suggest you phase it better in the future...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Buddhmaster said:
I don't think I hate anyone more than I hate Mark Nicholas. The guy's a dead set wanker.
I would rather listen to Mark Nicholas commentate than you...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Buddhmaster said:
3rd best commentator ever, down from Benaud and Boycott, the bloke's a legend.