• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Commentary

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
And many men have been sacked for making errors over the years. What's your point?

As for Sky not employing women have you never heard of Kelly Dalglish? Helen Chamberlain? Di Stewart? Georgie Thompson? All female, all involved in the reportage and analysis of sport. It wouldn't surprise me if Sky did indeed employ female ex-cricketers in the near future, they couldn't be any worse than Botham, Colville, Willis. When I have heard Connor, Heyhoe-Flint et al on tv and radio they've been informed, articulate and entertaining.

As for the petition and sacking, you're just proving the point of how far we still have to go to educate prejudiced bigots like you and your friends.

Not a Rangers or Airdrie fan by any chance are you?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Pedro Delgado said:
And many men have been sacked for making errors over the years. What's your point?

As for Sky not employing women have you never heard of Kelly Dalglish? Helen Chamberlain? Di Stewart? Georgie Thompson? All female, all involved in the reportage and analysis of sport. It wouldn't surprise me if Sky did indeed employ female ex-cricketers in the near future, they couldn't be any worse than Botham, Colville, Willis. When I have heard Connor, Heyhoe-Flint et al on tv and radio they've been informed, articulate and entertaining.

As for the petition and sacking, you're just proving the point of how far we still have to go to educate prejudiced bigots like you and your friends.

Not a Rangers or Airdrie fan by any chance are you?
A Rangers fan - although what that has to do with anything I don't know. IMO I'd only employ ex-Test cricketers - and if anyone thinks Stephanie? is more qualified then G Boycott they are in cloud cookoo land. PS - the PC thought police cause more trouble in this world than anyone. I reckon there are partly to blame for the trouble betwen the West and Islam - if I was a Muslim and had these views would you still call me a bigot?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
What about employing ex-women test cricketers? ABC radio had some commentary from Belinda Clarke one time not long ago. What are your "thoughts" on that?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
Obviously Rupert Murdoch agrees with me otherwise Sky would have a female host. And no, I know nothing about Stephanie? but if you read one of my comments you'll know they had a woman hosting a Scottish soccer programme and there was an on-line petiton to get her sacked. (She was). And have you ever heard the phrase "silent majority"? btw, I read Nine tried this before and the girl got sacked on Kerry Packer's orders - so KP will be spinning in his grave right now. But give her credit I read she asked Warne a question about his wife...proving without doubt that she knows about cricket.:laugh: And to think Geoff Boycott won't be on TV during the Ashes...:@
Haha, where do you even start with this?

The woman who got sacked on Packer's order was sacked because she was crap, not because she was a woman. How hard is that to understand? If the problem with was having a woman, they never would have hired her in the first place. It's not like she lied on the form, you know? Besides, for the 50th time, Stephanie won't be commentating. The previous woman was a commentator.

Secondly, she didn't ask Warne any such question. The person who asked Warne the question was in fact a woman, but there are many thousands of them in Australia and co-incidentally the one who asked Warne the question about his wife was a different woman entirely. Go figure.

And really, your irrelevant argument about the scottish football presenter just proves the point. Yes, she was sacked because of an online petition, meaning presumably that people didn't like her much. Stephanie Brantz is quite popular. Do you see the difference? Just because they are both women doesn't mean they are equally incompetent, and contrary to your apparent views most people don't judge people entirely on their gender.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
if I was a Muslim and had these views would you still call me a bigot?
Given that your views on women are pretty close to radical Islam, that's a pretty hilarious question. Unfortunately there are many bigots in the world, some of them are muslims, and some of them are just idiots like you.

pasag

RTDAS
Poker Boy said:
A Rangers fan - although what that has to do with anything I don't know.
I found this on teh internet, although I don't know if it has anything to do with anything:

"Both Rangers and Celtic now accept that they have a problem with sectarianism. Both clubs admit that a proportion of their supporters have been, and continue to be, guilty of perpetuating sectarian and partisan beliefs as well as cultural intolerance."

Hmmm.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
If she's popular in Australia good luck to her, but is she popular because of her looks or her talent? And PLEASE read what I write! I said women should be allowed to join the MCC before they were - is that bigoted? And i respect your views - although I disagree with them - I think you should respect mine.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
pasag said:
I found this on teh internet, although I don't know if it has anything to do with anything:

"Both Rangers and Celtic now accept that they have a problem with sectarianism. Both clubs admit that a proportion of their supporters have been, and continue to be, guilty of perpetuating sectarian and partisan beliefs as well as cultural intolerance."

Hmmm.
That's a religous problem - I'm against sectarian chanting btw - and I reckon Aussies should get a brain cell. To think they called Monty a "stupid Indian" - didn't know Luton was a part of India.:laugh: Maybe that's why they like Stephanie? - simple things occupy simple minds. As Simon Hughes said "there is one thing wrong with Australia. Australians live there.":laugh: :laugh:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
That's a religous problem - I'm against sectarian chanting btw - and I reckon Aussies should get a brain cell. To think they called Monty a "stupid Indian" - didn't know Luton was a part of India.:laugh: Maybe that's why they like Stephanie? - simple things occupy simple minds. As Simon Hughes said "there is one thing wrong with Australia. Australians live there.":laugh: :laugh:
I'm pretty sure you'll find there's bigoted idiots who say stupid things in the UK as well. You might find them pretty close to home, in fact.

pasag

RTDAS
Poker Boy said:
You seem to be digging yourself a hole here, besides the massive flaw in your so called arguments, first you're against women on screen becuase they're unpopular, then when told this woman is infact popular, you retort it's only becuase she attractive. But besides that, in an absurd way, you reason that Australians aren't ***ist becuase we're 'simple'. That is laughable. Ha.

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Yes they are idiots in Britain too - but at least if we say rude things we get our facts right! :laugh: PS - you avoided my question - is Stephanie? popular because of her looks or her talent?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
pasag said:
You seem to be digging yourself a hole here, besides the massive flaw in your so called arguments, first your against women becuase shes unpopular, then when told she is popular, you retort it's only becuase she attractive. But besides that, in an absurd way, you reason that Australians aren't ***ist becuase were 'simple'. That is laughable. Ha.
I don't know why she's popular - I just asked. And if she's popular because she's nice looking it makes someone here who slagged me off for liking Hantuchova a hyprocrite. I explained why I like Hantuchova - so all I'm asking for is why do you like Stephanie?

pasag

RTDAS
Poker Boy said:
I don't know why she's popular - I just asked. And if she's popular because she's nice looking it makes someone here who slagged me off for liking Hantuchova a hyprocrite. I explained why I like Hantuchova - so all I'm asking for is why do you like Stephanie?
She's popular becuase she's smart and insightful. She's not there for her looks. I don't even find her that attractive (Link). There are plenty of better "token bimbos" out there, as you so tactfully describe them. However, I fail to see what this has to do with anything, as you don't care whether she is smart, well respected or knows the game inside out. You don't want her there merely becuase she is a woman.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
I certainly don't find her attractive at all, and actually I don't really like her that much either. I've got nothing against her, but it's not like I desperately want to see her on the cricket or anything. The problem with your attitude is not that Stephanie is some sort of saint and a cricketing genius who must be appreciated by all humans, it's that it wouldn't matter at all if she was because your only problem with her is that she's a woman.

The only thing anyone should care about is whether or not she's good at her job, and generally speaking she is well liked and obviously people think she's a good host, which is why Nine picked her up for the position.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
pasag said:
She's popular becuase she's smart and insightful. She's not there for her looks. I don't even find her that attractive (Link). There are plenty of better "token bimbos" out there, as you so tactfully describe them. However, I fail to see what this has to do with anything, as you don't care whether she is smart, well respected or knows the game inside out. You don't want her there merely becuase she is a woman.
Ah well we agree on something! You like Stephanie? for the same reason I like Hantuchova - mind you she is definately more beautiful than Stephanie? and as she speaks four languages I'd wager she's more intelligent. If you haven't seen Hantuchova go to www.danielahantuchova.sk for photos. PS - we're never going to convert anybody to our views - let's agree to differ! And tell me how Stephanie? does as Sky has their own coverage so I won't see her.:happy: :happy:

pasag

RTDAS
Poker Boy said:
And tell me how Stephanie? does as Sky has their own coverage so I won't see her.:happy: :happy:
It's not the point how she does, she could be a total screw up and it wouldn't validate anything you've said.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
What about employing ex-women test cricketers? ABC radio had some commentary from Belinda Clarke one time not long ago. What are your "thoughts" on that?
See Clare Connor mentioned earlier in the thread.