Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes Commentary

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy
    A female Charles Colville (Sky cricket host) in other words. Sky let Charles commentate on domestic cricket but when the big boys come out to play he's stuck in the studio....
    I'm not familiar with the role he plays, but from what I've read she will be like a roving reporter. She'll probably talk about the crowd atmosphere, weather conditions, conduct interviews with the players and that sort of thing, and may even be involved in the pitch reports in some way. Basically she will be a host, not a commentator, as she is a presenter and not a cricket player by profession. It's basically the same sort of role that Simon O'Donnell plays for Channel 9 currently, where he hosts things from the studio and so on but isn't actually in the commentary box.

She was apparently headhunted by 9 specifically for the job because of the work she did hosting the World Cup.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

And making the teas of course…

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Looking forward to the cricket starting, and to hear Mark Nicholas doing his pre show television stuff. Love listening to that guy.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    Was she the one that pissed Warne off by asking him about Simone as he was walking back to the pavillion after getting out a month or so ago?

Anyways, yeh she's not commentating but doing interviews and other bits and pieces around the place.

Just on female commentators, I did not enjoy Belinda Clark on ABC last season, a little too boring. Maybe this year she will come out of her shell a little more
    You know it makes sense.

Pretty sure that it wasn't her, pasag.

Most likely to be Richard Wilkins, TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Pretty sure that it wasn't her, pasag.

Most likely to be Richard Wilkins, TBH.
    Haha

Someone needs to put him out of his misery. When they interviewed him when Belinda Emmett died, it was so cringeworthy.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

I just want to say about the girl on Channel Nine..it wouldn't happen in Britain. Sky don't use a female commentator (except for women's cricket) or even a female host...Channel 4 tried Claire Connor in 2003 but only for Zimbabwe Test..she had disappeared by the time of the SA series. I don't think cricket fans in Britain would stand for it. And the only woman I've heard on BBC Radio is a foreinger (Donna Symonds from WI).
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

I just want to say about the girl on Channel Nine..it wouldn't happen in Britain. Sky don't use a female commentator (except for women's cricket) or even a female host...Channel 4 tried Claire Connor in 2003 but only for Zimbabwe Test..she had disappeared by the time of the SA series. I don't think cricket fans in Britain would stand for it. And the only woman I've heard on BBC Radio is a foreinger (Donna Symonds from WI).
    What makes you think people wouldn't stand for it? They've even used female reporters/hosts on the AFL over here and it's never been an issue. She's just going to be talking to people ffs, it's not like she's calling the game.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    What makes you think people wouldn't stand for it? They've even used female reporters/hosts on the AFL over here and it's never been an issue. She's just going to be talking to people ffs, it's not like she's calling the game.
    I said people in Britain wouldn't stand for it. If the Aussies want her, good luck to them. But I'm sure if Sky thought the British people would stand for it they would employ one. Each country is different! I'm convinced it will never happen in Britain. IMO men's sports should be played, umpired commentated on and hosted by MEN.

Is the women in question even attractive?

I said people in Britain wouldn't stand for it. If the Aussies want her, good luck to them. But I'm sure if Sky thought the British people would stand for it they would employ one. Each country is different! I'm convinced it will never happen in Britain. IMO men's sports should be played, umpired commentated on and hosted by MEN.
    Haha, thats possibly the most sexist, chauvinistic thing ever said on these forums.

Breakout Champion!
    Channel 4 tried Claire Connor in 2003 but only for Zimbabwe Test..she had disappeared by the time of the SA series. I don't think cricket fans in Britain would stand for it.
    Those two sentences contradict each other. The British cricket fans did stand for Connor. She presented Channel 4's Cricket Show more than that summer, iirc, and has commentated on TMS. I've never heard any complaints from anyone.

And why wouldn't they stand for it? Does having breasts mean you can't talk about a sport just as well as a bloke can?

Hahaha. I didn't realise they still made people like you, my God.

Seriously, she hosted the biggest sporting event in the world on another channel and was so well recieved that 9 specifically picked her out for the job and brought her over. Of course people would "stand for it", because most people aren't so unbelievably narrow-minded as to believe that a woman isn't capable of standing there with a microphone and reporting on the weather or interviewing someone, and because she's perfectly good at her job.

And incidentally, you're defeating your own argument by pointing out numerous instances in which women have been involved with cricket presentation in England. Australia has only had one female presenter on the cricket before as well, but now they will have another one. Obviously there are relatively few women who are qualified for the position of a full time commentator, as women don't generally spend their adult lives as professional cricketers and knowledge of the game is a key element to commentary, but the idea that a woman can't even be involved with presenting the program is so absurd it's unbelievable. I bet you there's female camera operators, female technicians behind the scenes, female makeup staff and so on involved with presenting the cricket in England as well.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    Haha, thats possibly the most sexist, chauvinistic thing ever said on these forums.
    The new Vomitgate imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Is the women in question even attractive?
    She's an ex-model, so yeah, she basically looks like your average female TV presenter.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information