Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes Commentary

Have to say enjoying Nine commentary this year. Some of the new additions like Slater and Mark Nicholas ask the guys like Chappell, Benaud and Greig good questions and actually provoke some interesting conversation.

Highlights for me today of the commentary was Chappell and Greig discussing how'd they would have attempted to play McGrath when he was hitting the cracks, Chappell's analysis of Strauss and Pieterson's problems hooking, and the interview with Beefy, which wasn't strictly commentary but was part of the coverage. Its good hearing guys like Gower as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Healy sets a new benchmark(rip) today.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

The little squeezer on "Offsiders" this morning was annoying me, carrying on about how Ponting didn't enforce the follow on because Channel 9 and Cricket Australia told him to, and how not doing so had damaged the sport of cricket. I hate journos like him who feel the need to stake out some kind of imaginery moral high ground and insist that sportsmen are responsible for keeping them happy before any other commitment, just because they can't be arsed thinking of anything decent to fill their column. Gideon Haigh put him back in his box I thought.

EDIT: I think his name is Gerard Waiteley or similar
    Last edited by Matt79; 26-11-2006 at 03:31 AM.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Tony Greig and Bill Lawry fighting is hilarious
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    I don't think I hate anyone more than I hate Mark Nicholas. The guy's a dead set wanker.

International Vice-Captain
    Can't help but agree. Sooo glad I don't have to put with him anymore, but Colville on Sky's a bit of a tit.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhmaster
    I don't think I hate anyone more than I hate Mark Nicholas. The guy's a dead set wanker.
    Watch it, you can say you don't like someone, but I would suggest you phase it better in the future...

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    How bout poonce/punce?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    I would rather listen to Mark Nicholas commentate than you...
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    3rd best commentator ever, down from Benaud and Boycott, the bloke's a legend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

On Chappelli when Sky first started showing the Channel 9 feed he was my favourite commentator - He was such a contrast to all the other cheer leader commentators and was a great analyst of especially of captaincy and bating technique. Now I can't bear to listen to him he comes in the commentry box with his own ideas (not a bad thing in itself) but would refuse to comprimise even if what was happening in the match proved him completely wrong. But most of all he comes across as if commentating is a chore to him and god help if any other commentator has differing opinions to him. With all the faults that Greig and Lawry have at least you still get feeling that they have an enthusiasm for cricket and really enjoy their job something you just don't get from Chappelli.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    3rd best commentator ever, down from Benaud and Boycott, the bloke's a legend.
    Good post.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BingLeeElectric
    Good post.
    Yep, Nicholas is quality. In Australia it's gone form "Who's the Pommie?" to "When's the Pommie on again?"
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    He's grown on me as well. I never much liked him before, but I like his enthusiasm, and as a cheerleader commentator he's certainly better to listen to than Lawry or Lloyd.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

How have Channel 9 responded to Warne bowling outside leg stump to Pietersen.

With Sky Holding & Atherton were very critical of Australia where as Hussain said it was justified & up to the batsmen to adapt.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information