• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Langer be dropped for Jaques?

Should Langer be dropped for Jaques

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'd hate to see Langer's career ended by him being dropped at the start of the series, but his time out of the team, combined with a lean trot in Pura Cup, and Jaques great form so far means it must be something the selectors are starting to seriously consider.

I don't think they'll drop Langer yet, but if he doesn't produce a decent score in the first two-three tests and Jaques continues the way he's going, a change might be made.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Argh, no. Not in a million years.

Langer is a fine player who was our best batsman last Ashes and has been a consistent performer for years now in the Australian team. Jaques is a very good batsman and has been making plenty of runs on the domestic scene, but he shouldn't be in the test side until there's a place for him. That means a retirement or an extended run of poor performances. If Langer had a bad Ashes series and Jaques kept making runs in that time, I'd have no issue with Jaques being brought in then, but Langer is also making runs at domestic level. He had a huge average in England in the winter. You can't drop a guy who is making runs at domestic level for another guy who is making runs at domestic level just because the second one gets more chances there.

oz_fan

International Regular
No. Langer has done nothing wrong and has proven himself at the highest level as a consistent performer for Australia for a long time.

Matt79 said:
I don't think they'll drop Langer yet, but if he doesn't produce a decent score in the first two-three tests and Jaques continues the way he's going, a change might be made.
Agreed. He'll definately need to perform well in the first few tests though or else there could be a change.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Not unless he has a dismal series and Jaques maintains his form.

At the outset of the series: No way in hell. I have a lot of faith in Langer.

munnabhai

Cricket Spectator
langer should retire at the end of ashes series. Australia's next test series after ashes will be in november 07. So i think selectors will ask langer to announce retirement after sydney test.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No way.

Like a lot of test batsman before him. Jaques will have to wait in line and hope he is making more runs than other potential candidates when the time comes for a permanent replacement.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
as everyone is saying, no he shouldn't replace JL unless Langer fails, but i'd have Jaques in the world cup squad definately.

howardj

International Coach
If my life depended on Australia winning the Ashes, I'd pick Jacques ahead of Langer, no question. In my view, Jacques is a gun - a potential 5000 run Test batsman. By contrast, I think both in terms of consistency and ability to handle hostile, short-pitched bowling, Langer is on the decline.

Put it this way, if England could pick the Aussie team, they'd pick Langer ahead of Jacques.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
What a silly question.. *clearly pointed out by the poll*

Anyway the answer is NO, for all the reasons stated prior to my post..

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not yet. However, if either he OR Haydos average below 30 this series, he must replace one of them. Especially if he continues to pile on the runs.

Slow Love™

International Captain
howardj said:
If my life depended on Australia winning the Ashes, I'd pick Jacques ahead of Langer, no question. In my view, Jacques is a gun - a potential 5000 run Test batsman. By contrast, I think both in terms of consistency and ability to handle hostile, short-pitched bowling, Langer is on the decline.

Put it this way, if England could pick the Aussie team, they'd pick Langer ahead of Jacques.
I doubt they would, but if so, it'd only be a reflex to him carting them around the park the other day. The guy's still not established at international level, and a test match is very different to a demonstration game. Langer was among the most solid of our bats last tour, so I'd say the English would be licking their lips at other people in the lineup (even if that's incorrect too) before JL.

howardj

International Coach
That was more than a year ago however. At 36 years of age, you can decline quickly - particularly batsmen. Bear in mind that he averaged 32 last summer. Moreover, he's not too flash against bouncers anymore. Put simply, like with Martyn's recall to the Test arena, I think selection is as much about judgement calls, than it is about incumbency or the 'he's done nothing wrong' principle.

Slow Love™

International Captain
howardj said:
That was more than a year ago however. At 36 years of age, you can decline quickly - particularly batsmen. Bear in mind that he averaged 32 last summer. Moreover, he's not too flash against bouncers anymore. Put simply, like with Martyn's recall to the Test arena, I think selection is as much about judgement calls, than it is about incumbency or the 'he's done nothing wrong' principle.
I know, in reality the "he's done nothing wrong" principle is only really about fairness when it comes to somebody's career, rather than who will constitute the best side (I definitely think there's a place for the former, but not at the almost certain expense of the latter) at the time, but I'd still back Langer to be in the best XI opening - and it appears to have something of an impact for Haydos as well.

Granted, if he looks terrible, let's think about it again, as we don't want a repeat of what happened with Gillespie last Ashes, where it just went on and on. But I still think Langer's got what it takes, and he's been in good enough form leading up for him to have earned the selector's belief for the time being. And while there's obviously a desire to prepare Jaques for an international career, this is the most important series we've had for some time, and as long as Langer's playing well, we can hold off his internship for something less crucial, IMO.

We'll soon know if he can still hack the bouncers though, 'cause he's likely to get peppered early on.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
If Langer is dropped, some players have been harder done by, such as Gillespie, Katich, Kasper. I wouldn't drop Langer myself, though if he is dropped I won't see him as being "ripped off" by the selectors.

Slow Love™

International Captain
burkey_1988 said:
If Langer is dropped, some players have been harder done by, such as Gillespie, Katich, Kasper. I wouldn't drop Langer myself, though if he is dropped I won't see him as being "ripped off" by the selectors.
How was Gillespie hard done by? Even being dropped after making a double century (presuming you don't mean the Ashes, where he absolutely had to go) I don't see as being particularly harsh, 'cause he was pretty lucky to get given a go that tour.

Having said this, I'd have nothing against seeing him again if he could recapture his spark. Think we've probably seen the last of him at international level though, with the promise shown by some of the reserves of late.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
How was Gillespie hard done by? Even being dropped after making a double century (presuming you don't mean the Ashes, where he absolutely had to go) I don't see as being particularly harsh, 'cause he was pretty lucky to get given a go that tour.

Having said this, I'd have nothing against seeing him again if he could recapture his spark. Think we've probably seen the last of him at international level though, with the promise shown by some of the reserves of late.
I was referring to how after the Ashes last year he was completely shunned by the selectors until the Bangladesh tour, his selection on which seemed like a bit of a cop out to me. Granted he had a poor Ashes, but I think he still has something to offer. I wouldn't pick Gillespie now though, he's far from being in the top four bowlers in Australia, the double century is negligible.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Langer will probably get to use this Ashes as his farewell series but it would be criminal if Jacques did not play in Australia's frst test after the Ashes.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As a pom, before our tour games started I'd have loved to see Langer dropped, now after Jaques plundering two centuries in two outings I'm really "meh" on the whole issue.

Langer's a class act tho, so I think it'd be insane to replace him unless form in the test series absolutely dictates. &, given the patience the selectors showed with Hayden, I think he'd have every right to be a tad agrieved if he was dropped after a couple of average games.