• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Langer be dropped for Jaques?

Should Langer be dropped for Jaques

• Total voters

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, if there was a middle order injury/retirement/loss of form, Clarke would get the gig. As it is he'd be fairly close to selection for the Ashes, but will miss out because of Watson's bowling. If there was another one, it would go to either Hodge or Jaques. I think maybe they'd go to Jaques if the openers were playing well, simply because of his weight of runs, but Hodge would be close as well.

Jaques would come in through an injury to the top 3, as Kyle said.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I've been thinking about this more, and think that if we were being brutally honest, Jaques would probably do a better job than Langer as one of the openers. Langer has not played at the top level for almost a year, and even before then, the trend was that he was in decline: 1 century in his last 33 test innings, and no scores above 50 in his last ten. Do people seriously think Jaques wouldn't do well if he was put in.

People are citing Langers' 300 for his country team, but TBF Jaques made some very big scores for his county as well.

As I said at the start of the thread, it would be sad to see Langer go without getting a proper farewell - I still rate him as one of best openers Australia has had.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Although obviously I would love it if Langer came out and proved me wrong by scoring a big ton at the Gabba and averaging 50 for the series. I just don't think its terribly likely. I think he'll get several starts, a couple of score between 50 and 100, and end up averaging in the low 30s. And I think Jaques would do better than that.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I think he'll be your best bat after Drunky and prove you wrong.

Tbh I think he deserves his swansong anyway, and if he does fail after two tests then yeah call up Pip Jaques.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pedro Delgado said:
I think he'll be your best bat after Drunky and prove you wrong.

Tbh I think he deserves his swansong anyway, and if he does fail after two tests then yeah call up Pip Jaques.
Agree with your second sentence re: swansong, disagree with your first sentence, but hope you turn out to be right.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Hasn't Langer already said that he was going to retire after this Ashes series? He deserves to go out on top.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mavric41 said:
Hasn't Langer already said that he was going to retire after this Ashes series? He deserves to go out on top.
Langer said he won't retire. He will have to be dropped.