• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpires Announced

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Couldn't see this anywhere here but the officials for the Tests have been announced.

First Test (Nov 23-27, Brisbane) - Umpires: B Bowden, S Bucknor. Referee: J Crowe.

Second Test (Dec 1-5, Adelaide) - Umpires: S Bucknor, R Koertzen. Referee: J Crowe.

Third Test (Dec 14-18, Perth) - Umpires: R Koertzen, A Dar. Referee: J Crowe.

Fourth Test (Dec 26-30, Melbourne) - Umpires: R Koertzen, A Dar. Referee: R Madugalle.

Fifth Test (Jan 2-6, Sydney) - Umpires: B Bowden, A Dar. Referee: R Madugalle.

Good to see Dar in there, not a fan of Bowden, Bucknor, but there's not really much choice. Who else is there? Rauf or Doctrove the only others i can think of

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Couldn't see this anywhere here but the officials for the Tests have been announced.

First Test (Nov 23-27, Brisbane) - Umpires: B Bowden, S Bucknor. Referee: J Crowe.

Second Test (Dec 1-5, Adelaide) - Umpires: S Bucknor, R Koertzen. Referee: J Crowe.

Third Test (Dec 14-18, Perth) - Umpires: R Koertzen, A Dar. Referee: J Crowe.

Fourth Test (Dec 26-30, Melbourne) - Umpires: R Koertzen, A Dar. Referee: R Madugalle.

Fifth Test (Jan 2-6, Sydney) - Umpires: B Bowden, A Dar. Referee: R Madugalle.

Good to see Dar in there, not a fan of Bowden, Bucknor, but there's not really much choice. Who else is there? Rauf or Doctrove the only others i can think of
Whose not English or Aus, Asoka de Silva but his doing the Pakistan West Indies series. Like you not the biggest fan or either Bowden or Bucknor, Dar's usually pretty good though.

PY

International Coach
What do you guys have against Bowden? He's always seemed OK from the little cricket I've seen of him.

I was more disappointed with Bucknor but as mentioned, there's a severe lack of choice at the moment.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really rate any umpires at the moment, can't really talk about the Aussie ones because I don't see them all that often.

Slow Love™

International Captain
superkingdave said:
Yeah, no real surprises. In spite of the criticism he receives, I don't think Bowden's that bad, and Dar is fairly consistent. IMO, Bucknor's actually improved a fair bit over the last year or so, but Rudi "Blind Pew" Koertzen is still as horrid as ever. Love his new look though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dar is good, and I've got no problem with Bowden. He makes the odd shocker, but I do think he's a very capable umpire and he's been very impressive on some occasions. During the last Ashes he was excellent at times, particularly on the final day at Old Trafford IIRC.

Koertzen isn't much good, but I like him a lot more now that he has a beard and looks like a pirate. Just picture a parrot on his shoulder and his errors are easier to take. Bucknor is crap, of course.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see what people have against Billy Bowden, if I remember correctly a few years ago the Australia team rated him as the worst international umpire. Now it might be my biased Kiwi attitude but I've always thought he was pretty capable.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Perm said:
I don't see what people have against Billy Bowden, if I remember correctly a few years ago the Australia team rated him as the worst international umpire. Now it might be my biased Kiwi attitude but I've always thought he was pretty capable.
I thought he was good when he first started out, but over the last year or so he's been pretty shokcing from what I've seen. Couple that with his stupid signals, and the result is I can't stand him.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
TT Boy said:
Even if Hair was not the flavour of the month with the ICC it’s ‘neutral’ umpires.
Stupid rule. Should be abolished. It's not the 80s anymore.

Of those 4 umpires, Koertzen and Bowden are ok, Dars average, Bucknor is Ray Charles. Black, blind and wears sunglasses. In fact Ray would be a better choice, overlooking the fact he's both actually blind, and dead.

howardj

International Coach
Aleem, Rudi and Billy are OK.

Bucknor should have pensioned off long ago.

However, it's a tough job.

Really, the players bring bad umpiring upon themselves, with their excessive appealing, and going up for things which they know are not out.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LOL @ the comments of Rudi. So true though, I love him now because he just doesn`t care anymore. Looks like he`s too cool, and probably is.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, no real surprises. In spite of the criticism he receives, I don't think Bowden's that bad, and Dar is fairly consistent. IMO, Bucknor's actually improved a fair bit over the last year or so, but Rudi "Blind Pew" Koertzen is still as horrid as ever. Love his new look though.
Totally off-topic, but I just read the link in your sig. It's absolutely classic. I swear Scaly has read the "overanalysing" one before.

Dravid

International Captain
People need to see Billys decision in the CT. Most horrible decision I have seen ever in my life. You seriously had to be blind to not see it hit the bat first. First test got dumb and dumber(GT's words) as umpires.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bucknor and Rudi are horrible, Dar and Billy vary between good and bad

Best of a woeful neutral bunch though

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Problem with Dar and Bowden is they can be so bad, yet so good. They're not too consistent, IMO anyways.

Rudi's meh and Bucknor is horrible.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
valvolux said:
All I can say is I wish they'd agreed to let hawkeye/tv make the decisions for them
The same hawkeye that last summer called a bowled dismissal by Warne as missing the stumps?