• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan eyes third Test comeback

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I just think this is a distraction we could do without. Where is he going to get match practice? If he came into the team would he be captain? He would surely only come into the team if we were in trouble - if we were ahead in the series or level by Perth there would be no need to change. If we were down 0-1 or 0-2 it would be seen as a panic measure. Considering his one-day record would we want him in the VB series anyway? No Vaughan should spend this winter getting fit start 2007 with Yorkshire and score runs to win back his Test place. He is in a funny posistion - a bad winter with the bat for the team would make it easier for him to get back in - but I'm sure the last thing he wants is for us to have a bad winter.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd love to see Vaughan back in the side, but a match fit and in-form Vaughan please. Seriously even if he is over his injury by the third test he still won't have played cricket for around a year, surely he can't be picked?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gloucefan said:
I'd love to see Vaughan back in the side, but a match fit and in-form Vaughan please. Seriously even if he is over his injury by the third test he still won't have played cricket for around a year, surely he can't be picked?
Umm, it looks like they're going to pick Gilo, so don't rule it out:(

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Poker Boy said:
I just think this is a distraction we could do without. Where is he going to get match practice? If he came into the team would he be captain? He would surely only come into the team if we were in trouble - if we were ahead in the series or level by Perth there would be no need to change. If we were down 0-1 or 0-2 it would be seen as a panic measure. Considering his one-day record would we want him in the VB series anyway? No Vaughan should spend this winter getting fit start 2007 with Yorkshire and score runs to win back his Test place. He is in a funny posistion - a bad winter with the bat for the team would make it easier for him to get back in - but I'm sure the last thing he wants is for us to have a bad winter.
Agreed, but one can argue that the likes of Giles, Anderson & Flintoff are in the same sort of position in that they haven't played much other than in the Champions Trophy. If he has fully recovered i'd only pick him if if one of Cook/Bell/Collingwood has failed in the 1st two test & its likely that he will get the captaincy.

greg

International Debutant
The only conclusion that one can draw from the repeated pathetic updates on Vaughan's fitness is that he wants us to lose the Ashes.

England have made no improvements, as a team, since the Ashes because they have refused to bite the bullet and look towards the future rather than forever harking back to the past. The continuing presence of Vaughan as "England captain" is fundamental to that.

Now we have Vaughan attempting to undermine the team and captain at every opportunity. No captain can perform at his best if he feels he is no more than a "stop-gap", likely to be replaced at any moment. Just look at the difference between Strauss in the first Pakistan test and Strauss in the other 3 when his position was assured.

If Vaughan constantly giving updates on how he is approaching fitness, expect the Aussie press to undermine Flintoff at every opportunity. And Flintoff will have no choice but to play along with the usual mantra that "Michael Vaughan is the captain and i will be happy to return to the backbenches once he returns".

And then we have the undermining effect on the middle order knowing that at any moment one of them could be obliged to make way for a man who hasn't played for a year, and hasn't showed significant form with the bat for a lot longer than that.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
It would be madness to bring him back just because he's fit again, his first game for a year in the middle of an ashes series? Nah, forget it Vaughney

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As much as I would like to see Michael Vaughan back playing cricket for England this isn't really the appropriate time, he would'nt be match fit and it would cause too many headaches amongst the English team. He's better off just recovering and getting ready for the next series when he will be match fit.