Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Gillespie

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Jason Gillespie

I'm amazed some Aussie fans <cough... Fuller... cough/> still think Gillespie should be considered for the Ashes..

Gillespie has been on the decline ever since the 2003 World Cup.....he lost somepace, some aggression, some vitality 3 years ago and he hasn't gotten it back.....
    I saw him in a dmoestic game some time back and he just didn't look the same bowler that formed a fearsome new ball pairing with Mcgrath once upon a time.
    He was a good bowler 4-5 years ago but he's over the hill now......better to invest in Clark and Johnson.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    He has quite clearly bowled well at times since the 2003 World Cup. The last time Australia toured India he averaged 16 and was the best bowler. He bowled alright in Bangladesh too, certainly better than the other seamers.

Having said that, he's certainly out of contention for the Ashes now. He was very much in the race a few months back, but the combination of a poor season for Yorkshire and a mediocre start in the Pura Cup along with Stuart Clark and Mitchell Johnson both bowling well has pushed him down the list. As much as anything else, it's been Johnson. If they don't want to pick Clark because he's too similar to McGrath or they feel he won't be penetrative on home pitches, they'd just pick Johnson now. Before, if Gillespie had been taking wickets for South Australia, they would have picked him. Whatever marginal chance he might still have had revolved around taking a whole bunch of wickets for the PMs XI and in the tour match for South Australia against England, and now he's injured and won't have the chance to do that.

He won't play a test in the Ashes, and will need some really strong performances or a whole bunch of injuries to ever play for Australia again.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

International Debutant
    yep i think its a 3 horse race now... maybe 4

Clark/Bracken/Johnson/Tait

its a shame... i like Dizzy...hes a champ... such a legend.. i'll miss him immensely...

Bowling tgfg Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Tait is nowhere near serious contention. Surely.
    Jesus brings life eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz
    yep i think its a 3 horse race now... maybe 4

Clark/Bracken/Johnson/Tait

I think that can be pared back to Johnson (red hot favourite now that McGrath has his tail up) and Clark. As for Dizzy, I think the English County season killed off any chance he had. His stats did nothing to commend him or show that he'd turned his Ashes 2005 form around

He didn`t mention Dizzy.

As an England fan...PLEASE PICK GILLESPIE!! He didn't even do well ijn the County Championship (not compared to Rana Naved and Zaheer Khan which should tell you something.) Besides it would be fun for Dizzy to beat Grahame Fowler's record(Fowler scored 200 for England in India in 1985. He played one more Test and then got dropped for good because Gooch had served his ban for going to SA). Must be the quickest dropping of a Test double-century maker in history. Let Dizzy take that record.
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Yeah, it's definitely between Clark and Johnson. They won't pick MacGill in Brisbane, and Tait and Bracken are out of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy
    As an England fan...PLEASE PICK GILLESPIE!! He didn't even do well ijn the County Championship (not compared to Rana Naved and Zaheer Khan which should tell you something.) Besides it would be fun for Dizzy to beat Grahame Fowler's record(Fowler scored 200 for England in India in 1985. He played one more Test and then got dropped for good because Gooch had served his ban for going to SA). Must be the quickest dropping of a Test double-century maker in history. Let Dizzy take that record.
    To be fair to the England selectors (which I wasn't often at the time), Foxy did have a few injury and illness problems, which weren't diagnosed properly IIRC.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Yeah, it's definitely between Clark and Johnson. They won't pick MacGill in Brisbane, and Tait and Bracken are out of the equation.
    Wouldn`t say either Bracken or MacGill are out of the equation. Bracken has a good record at the `Gabba, and the selectors might reward his ODI form. England also aren`t great against leg-spin, hence MacGill is in contention. Both are extremely unlikely, Bracken more-so, but both have a shot. Tait and Gillespie have as much chance as Bailey replacing Warne for mine.

yea Bracken is in contention for the gabba, not that i agree or want it to happen but the selectors could well and pull off a shock selection and pick him for the gabba given his record their and his recent ODI performances.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Bracken is really out of contention, IMO. Will be really lucky to get in ahead of either Johnson or Clark, and it will be MacGill for any wicket with turn.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    That Ricky Ponting, just trying to keep the English on their toes IMO.

There is no way Gillespie will be playing in this series and I cannot tell you how pleased that makes me feel. He is a liability and what's more we have so many fast bowlers putting their hands up at the moment - it's really quite exciting!
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information