• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jason Gillespie

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I'm amazed some Aussie fans <cough... Fuller... cough/> still think Gillespie should be considered for the Ashes..

Gillespie has been on the decline ever since the 2003 World Cup.....he lost somepace, some aggression, some vitality 3 years ago and he hasn't gotten it back.....
I saw him in a dmoestic game some time back and he just didn't look the same bowler that formed a fearsome new ball pairing with Mcgrath once upon a time.
He was a good bowler 4-5 years ago but he's over the hill now......better to invest in Clark and Johnson.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He has quite clearly bowled well at times since the 2003 World Cup. The last time Australia toured India he averaged 16 and was the best bowler. He bowled alright in Bangladesh too, certainly better than the other seamers.

Having said that, he's certainly out of contention for the Ashes now. He was very much in the race a few months back, but the combination of a poor season for Yorkshire and a mediocre start in the Pura Cup along with Stuart Clark and Mitchell Johnson both bowling well has pushed him down the list. As much as anything else, it's been Johnson. If they don't want to pick Clark because he's too similar to McGrath or they feel he won't be penetrative on home pitches, they'd just pick Johnson now. Before, if Gillespie had been taking wickets for South Australia, they would have picked him. Whatever marginal chance he might still have had revolved around taking a whole bunch of wickets for the PMs XI and in the tour match for South Australia against England, and now he's injured and won't have the chance to do that.

He won't play a test in the Ashes, and will need some really strong performances or a whole bunch of injuries to ever play for Australia again.

Laurrz

International Debutant
yep i think its a 3 horse race now... maybe 4

Clark/Bracken/Johnson/Tait

its a shame... i like Dizzy...hes a champ... such a legend.. i'll miss him immensely... :(

howardj

International Coach
Laurrz said:
yep i think its a 3 horse race now... maybe 4

Clark/Bracken/Johnson/Tait

:(
I think that can be pared back to Johnson (red hot favourite now that McGrath has his tail up) and Clark. As for Dizzy, I think the English County season killed off any chance he had. His stats did nothing to commend him or show that he'd turned his Ashes 2005 form around

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
As an England fan...PLEASE PICK GILLESPIE!! He didn't even do well ijn the County Championship (not compared to Rana Naved and Zaheer Khan which should tell you something.) Besides it would be fun for Dizzy to beat Grahame Fowler's record(Fowler scored 200 for England in India in 1985. He played one more Test and then got dropped for good because Gooch had served his ban for going to SA). Must be the quickest dropping of a Test double-century maker in history. Let Dizzy take that record.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, it's definitely between Clark and Johnson. They won't pick MacGill in Brisbane, and Tait and Bracken are out of the equation.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poker Boy said:
As an England fan...PLEASE PICK GILLESPIE!! He didn't even do well ijn the County Championship (not compared to Rana Naved and Zaheer Khan which should tell you something.) Besides it would be fun for Dizzy to beat Grahame Fowler's record(Fowler scored 200 for England in India in 1985. He played one more Test and then got dropped for good because Gooch had served his ban for going to SA). Must be the quickest dropping of a Test double-century maker in history. Let Dizzy take that record.
To be fair to the England selectors (which I wasn't often at the time), Foxy did have a few injury and illness problems, which weren't diagnosed properly IIRC.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, it's definitely between Clark and Johnson. They won't pick MacGill in Brisbane, and Tait and Bracken are out of the equation.
Wouldn`t say either Bracken or MacGill are out of the equation. Bracken has a good record at the `Gabba, and the selectors might reward his ODI form. England also aren`t great against leg-spin, hence MacGill is in contention. Both are extremely unlikely, Bracken more-so, but both have a shot. Tait and Gillespie have as much chance as Bailey replacing Warne for mine. :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yea Bracken is in contention for the gabba, not that i agree or want it to happen but the selectors could well and pull off a shock selection and pick him for the gabba given his record their and his recent ODI performances.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Bracken is really out of contention, IMO. Will be really lucky to get in ahead of either Johnson or Clark, and it will be MacGill for any wicket with turn.

burr

State Vice-Captain
There is no way Gillespie will be playing in this series and I cannot tell you how pleased that makes me feel. He is a liability and what's more we have so many fast bowlers putting their hands up at the moment - it's really quite exciting!

Jdz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bumping an old thread here I know, but, Gillespie should be picked on batting alone, is it some kind of record to have hit a double century and then not get picked in the next game/series?

Memorable Double Century.

:mellow: