• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fans v.s oldie

archie mac

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Panesar surely can't be dropped now.
Yes it would be a shock, it must be hard these days to force your way into the team, with the small amount of lead up games against the States.

I just have a feeling Giles is a chance :ph34r: (my first Greigy? :D )

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
archie mac said:
Yes it would be a shock, it must be hard these days to force your way into the team, with the small amount of lead up games against the States.

I just have a feeling Giles is a chance :ph34r: (my first Greigy? :D )
It sounds harsh, but I might be tempted to play Giles ahead of Mahmood.

archie mac

International Coach
nightprowler10 said:
Of course you would, you want Australia to win.
:laugh:

While that is true, I just feel that the Aussie batsman will target Monty and you can't beat experience, and Giles after 2005 has that

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It sounds harsh, but I might be tempted to play Giles ahead of Mahmood.
Me too. Mahmood just can't be relied upon. If he plays all five Tests he might lose us two of them on his own.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think Saj may do alright down under - he looks a half-decent number 8 as well, which is a bonsu to Monty's hopes of playing I reckon. Still, I'd rather have Anderson in the side.

shortpitched713

International Captain
If they're both fit and I had to pick just one I would pick Giles. Despite his obvious potential, Panesar hasn't done much at Test level, and Giles definitely beats him for experience. Still, I don't see why you'd have to pick just one. I'd pick both of them over Mahmood any day.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
pretty sure it'll happen unless he takes a bucketfull in the warm-ups
Fletcher almost said as much. From today's Guardian:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ashes2006-07/story/0,,1941486,00.html

There are legitimate concerns that Shane Warne in particular could regularly skittle a bottom five of Chris Read, Sajid Mahmood, Matthew Hoggard, Steve Harmison and Monty Panesar, and that has led to Fletcher thinking the unthinkable: picking Ashley Giles ahead of Panesar. "That [the depth of batting] is the thing we've really got to look at the next couple of games we play in," he said. "I'm a strong believer, and it's been proven right before, that you have to bat in depth."

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
fletcher deserves sacking if hes dropped, how can someone who hasnt played a fc game in a year go straight into a side in place of a bowler who is performing better than giles was when he was at his best!:blink: There will be the biggest uproar over here if hes left out.
Mahmood is simply not good enough, andersen should be in the side ahead of him any day,
Infact i wouldnt want mahmood in my county side!
My Side:

Tres
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Hoggard
Panesar
Andersen
Harmison

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed, if it was a fully-fit Gilo, I'd still pick Monty, but it would be madness to do so at the moment. Theres no Guarantee he'll be in any batting form anyway, I just hope this is a clever feint to put off the Aussies, because its absurd otherwise.

Giles poor bowling in Pakistan was put down to not being fully-fit, how can he be fully match-fit now?:@

Last edited: