• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson?

archie mac

International Coach
I think Shane Watson a definite starter for the first Test

And the attack to consist of:

Lee
McGrath
Watson
Wanre
Johnson

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
MacGill should start every test. Johnson has a bright future if he keeps improving, but because Watson is likely to play two spinners is almost a must, considering the woes England have with quality leg-spin.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think picking Watson would be a good choice for Australia, i've been impressed with his bowling and his batting looks good enough, plus he is only 25 so he has the potential to improve massively

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Watson is an absolute certainty, excluding injury. In fact, there's only one spot which could possibly change between now and the first test.

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Watson
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Johnson/Clark/Gillespie/MacGill
McGrath

I really doubt MacGill will play either. He'll play 2-3 tests, but another seamer will get the others, which will be Brisbane, Melbourne and possibly Perth.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with Smith.

MacGill should play, I don't care that it's Brisbane. He's our 3rd best bowler, so should be in the team.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
1)Langer
2)Hayden
3)Ponting
4)Martyn
5)Watson
6)Hussey
7)Gilchrist
8)Warne
9)Macgill
10)Clark
11)McGrath

howardj

International Coach
Chappelli on Watson:

"Shane Watson has a long way to go with his bowling before he is in the allrounder class for Test cricket,"

"Every time Watson claims a victim, Australian players converge from all parts of the ground and the congratulatory ceremony leads you to assume he's performed a minor miracle and dismissed Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara with the same delivery.

"It is almost as though the team are willing Watson to perform well in order to be the bowling allrounder to answer their prayers.

"He is quite capable of performing that role in one-day cricket but I'm not convinced about his ability to achieve that level in a game where batsmen aren't so prone to throwing away their wicket."

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
That's all fine, but the fact is that he's taking 2 wickets per ODI at less than 20 apiece in recent times, and he averages over 50 in FC cricket with the bat. Whether or not Chappelli is "convinced", there's absolutely no reason not to give him an extended run in the test side to see what he is capable of. The amount Australia could potentially lose by having Watson in the side instead of say Michael Clarke is negligable when compared to the potential benefit of a capable 5th bowling option, and he certainly can't do any worse than Andrew Symonds, who we carried for 10 tests.

Incidentally, I think the Australians tend to react the same way to, say, Johnson taking a wicket. It's clearly as much about encouraging newer, younger players as it is about finding an all-rounder.

raunchy_ronchi

Cricket Spectator
1)Langer
2)Hayden
3)Ponting
4)Martyn
5)Watson
6)Hussey
7)Gilchrist
8)Warne
9)Macgill
10)Clark
11)McGrath

i like this team and i agree with dont closeyoureyes watson below hussey

what about 12th man who will be the unlucky one?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Ian Chappell's always been a drooling idiot in my opinion. It's almost like he has no idea. That rant he goes on once a session about how coaches are useless and should be done away with drives me insane.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
MacGill should be the third bowler regardless of the pitch for me as well. If it is a quick it better be Johnson. Gillespie is finished, after Bangladesh I was open to him playing as long as he averaged under 30 in county cricket and carried the form into the Australian domestic season, he had a poor county season and I think went wicketless against NSW in the first shield game which is just not good enough. We cannot afford to carry two unthreatening medium pacers into another ashes series and with McGrath struggling a little and bowling about 60% Clark should not be in the team either, he just won't do enough with the ball in Australian conditions to be a wicket taking threat. Johnson at least has the potential with pace and swing to be a very damaging weapon if he does get it right.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He also has the potential (as he's shown on the international stage before) to be straight up and down at ~139kmph and get belted to all corners of the ground.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
raunchy_ronchi said:
1)Langer
2)Hayden
3)Ponting
4)Martyn
5)Watson
6)Hussey
7)Gilchrist
8)Warne
9)Macgill
10)Clark
11)McGrath

i like this team and i agree with dont closeyoureyes watson below hussey

what about 12th man who will be the unlucky one?
Haha what the hell, no Lee?

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
I read a report that Watson was taking to a hospital with abdominal pain.

Hopefully it was just something that he ate and nothing more serious.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
MacGill wont play the first test, he will be lucky to get a game at the SCG and Adel Oval. One gets the felling the selectors will decide to go with Johnson using the variety of a left armer, as the reason to choice him in front of MacGill.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
_TiGeR-ToWn_ said:
I read a report that Watson was taking to a hospital with abdominal pain.

Hopefully it was just something that he ate and nothing more serious.
Stomach bug apparently. Thought for a moment he was getting as injury-prone as a McDermott or a Bond.