• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most valued Ashes scalp

Matt79

Global Moderator
Who will each team regard as the key wicket(s) they really want to get cheaply?

For Australia although logically it should probably be Trescothick and Strauss, I think it will be Flintoff and Pieterson, as defeating either cheaply will be seen as a psych. victory and momentum shifter.

For England, Ponting is the obvious wicket, as testified to by the results of the "Highest Scorer" poll. Besides that, continued dominance over Hayden (ignoring the Oval) and Gilchrist will be seen as a high priority

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting is certainly the most valued wicket, for the simple reason that he's the best batsman in the world right now. Gilchrist is also hugely important because of his importance to the balance of the side and his ability to turn a match quickly. Gilchrist's poor series last time was one of the key factors in the result.

For Australia, I'd say Pietersen. If he has a poor series it leaves the England middle order quite brittle, especially if they go for five bowlers and have Flintoff at 6 and Read at 7. He's a dangerous player, and if there was one guy I could pick to average under 30 for the series it'd be him.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For England - certainly Hayden and Ponting are key wickets at the top of the order. For the middle order it is Hussey (they don't want him batting with the tail). Watson is another key wicket because if he is not scoring runs or getting hit about with the ball, it is going to affect his performances as he is very much a confidence player. And of course they will see Gilchrist's wicket as a key one.

For Australia - They will see getting Strauss out early as a key wicket. But, both Flintoff and Pietersen will be their key wickets. They are the men most likely to take the game away from Australia if they bat well and quickly. You don't beat Australia by batting out lots of overs, you need to be aggressive and go after them, which is something these two batsman can do.

Perm

For England I think Ponting and Hayden will be definite prized scalps and they will really need to keep Gilchrist quiet and also restrict Hussey from batting with the tail.

For Australia I'm sure they'd like to get Strauss out early so McGrath can have a crack at the middle order with the new ball. But Pietersen and Flintoff have the ability to turn a game around quickly so they will also be targets.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No point going through the team and naming 2-3 players. Defeats the purpose.

Australia - Ponting
England - Pietersen

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm inclined to agree with Jono, though I quite fancy Strauss to have a golden time out there a la Vaughan, I think they'll want him big time.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I'm inclined to agree with Jono, though I quite fancy Strauss to have a golden time out there a la Vaughan, I think they'll want him big time.
Strauss should do well, pitches will suit him but my valuable scalp if your Australian would be KP, solely because he has the ability to take the game away from you just like that. England perspective pretty hard to say considering the talent their middle order has but captain Ponting probably.

Dydl

International Debutant
For Australia, I think Flintoff's and Pietersen's wickets will be the most highly valued, due to their form last Ashes.

For England, I think Ponting's wicket will be highly valued, as he can be extremely dangerous after a relative start.

It'll be interesting to see how highly they value Hussey's wicket because they haven't ever played against him in Tests.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Im worried about England not being able to polish off the tail, with batsmen like Brett Lee and Shane Warne. Im not saying there the most improtant, im saying there very important. England have lost the ability to kill off teams recently and if we can get rid of these guys for single figures at least, It should be a massive help in gaining the initiative and postinga higher score.

Pothas

Hayden is certianly very important for England i feel. The way Hayden has dominated atacks at the start of the innings stamps Australias superiority over the oppostion. The way thay Hayden was made to look increadibly average in the last ashes series showed that Australia were not going to sweep England aside. Which Hayden we see i feel will be crucial.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Flintoff. Getting him out cheaply/regularly will upset the English teams balance. Not to mention getting the captains confidence down is always a bonus.

Ponting. Too good to ignore.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Ponting and Pietersen respectively for both sides in my opinion. Ponting for obvious reasons because he is the captain and the team's best batsman for Australia. Getting rid of Pietersen, on the other hand serves the dual purpose of getting out England's top run getter, and also derailing England's positive batting strategy.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
flintoff will be lucky to average 30, i dont rate his batting at all, hes worth his place for his bowling though.
Ponting is aus prize every time for me, if he averages 30 ish eng will win...:)