Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell Johnson

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!

Mitchell Johnson

After a fairly rubbish start to his international career (was averaging 150 with the ball after 4 games), Mitchell Johnson has taken 11/140 in his last four games. Admittedly, it's just four games, but it's also half of his ODI career, and he currently averages 24.16 with the ball. He's been touted by Dennis Lillee as a 'once in a generation bowler,' is a left armer, so would offer variety, and by all accounts is looking a good bowler. So is he a chance for the Ashes? Statisically speaking, he's done better in FC cricket than List-A, and he did take 10 in the Pura Cup final last season, on a pitch that Queensland scored 6/900 on. He'll be up against competition from Clark, MacGill, Gillespie and Tait, though realistically probably only Clark and MacGill. Will he get a run then, and how will he go? Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

A lot of those wickets in the 2nd innings were pretty much just thrown away, tbh. Though it's still no mean feat.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    He is probably likely to play in the Ashes. Although given Clark's record in his small test career he would be very unlucky not to play, but we've seen it happen before. Australia should be playing their 4 best bowlers and atm MacGill is one of our 4 best bowlers so should play, particularly if Watson is selected.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

I dont think that Johnson is going to be playing in the Ashes series. He has been playing ODI for Australia and that is all. He has shown nothing to warrant a selection in four-day cricket and he should just continue to play ODI for Australia and that is it.
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." MJ

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Well, I figured before the CT that if he played and took his chance well he was a shot in the Ashes, and he's certainly done that so far.

Right now I think there's three guys who might play in Brisbane, in Clark, Gillespie and Johnson. MacGill won't play the first test. Clark's injury is a fair setback and Gillespie's still struggling in domestic cricket, so the door is really open for Johnson if he makes a strong enough case. He's young, quick, he's done well against England so far and he's not been tried yet. I think right now he's probably about 50/50 to play in Brisbane, and if he does well in general over the next month he can improve that. Gillespie similarly needs to make a strong case with wickets, because either of them can move ahead of a guy who isn't playing any cricket.

Either way, he's clearly the number one pace prospect in Australia right now, and will play test cricket by 07/08 fitness permitting, even if he doesn't play in the Ashes.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

I reckon Clark picked an absolutely disastrous time to get injured, and its going to end up costing him a certain starting position in the Ashes. He'll likely get picked ahead of Johnson for at least the first test, but if he doesn't produce, Johnson will quickly come in for him
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Clark had one of the best Test starts that I can remember, and it would be hard to overlook look him for the Ashes, is he fit. Johnson looks promising, but is he good enough to be a test bowler yet?

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Come Boxing Day i wouldn't be surprised if he is playing Test for Australia. I think they will give the like of Clark, MacGill or Dizzy a run first and if they fail then give either Johnson or Tait a run in the last couple tests.

I have to admitt that when i first saw him, he didn't really impress me that much, but after a full season of FC cricket behind, he looks like his got the potential to be as good as Bruce Reid. But like Reid, i don't think he will continue his career injury free.

A bowling attack of say Lee, Johnson, Tait, <insert spinner>, Watson doesn't look too bad, if they keep developing and staying injury free.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

The planets are aligning for Johnson, with his performances in the ODI's (especially last night's game) and, secondly, Stuart Clark's injury. Moreover, I think given McGrath's innocuous bowling so far, I think the selectors are more likely to now lean towards someone with a bit of 'heat' to fill the third paceman's slot - rather than a line and length merchant, like a Clark or Gillespie.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Even if Clark were fit I'd be starting with him, he does look the real deal for mine. Not ligthening quick, but brisk enough & does put a lot of action on the ball so should swing it if the conditions are even vaguely conducive.

Admittedly yesterday was the first time I'd seen him bowl outside of the odd highlight on round-ups, but it does look like he bowls far fewer "4" balls than Tait does.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Yeah if it were not such a watershead series, Johnson would be a huge chance to start. However, the instinctive reluctance to go for a greenhorn when such a lot is at stake, is probably the biggest obstacle Johnson faces to get into the Gabba XI.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    Clark had one of the best Test starts that I can remember, and it would be hard to overlook look him for the Ashes, is he fit. Johnson looks promising, but is he good enough to be a test bowler yet?
    That logic didn't help Hodge when the selectors decided Martyn was what the middle order needed. He didn't look good enough to be a one-day bowler 10 months ago, so its entirely within the realms of possibility that he will do ok if given the chance, given the rate at which he appears to be improving.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Ricky Ponting has said that Mitchell Johnson's name will come up when the selectors are talking about the side for the 1st test at the Gabba. "I would imagine that he's going to be spoken about a lot coming into the first Test because he's come along as quickly as he has and he's fitting into international cricket really well"

Good to see that he has the support from the Australian captain, looking increasingly likely that he will start in some of the Ashes tests.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

well England picked KP after some superb ODI performances and he has be brilliant since, Johnson hasn't had the same success with the ball, but he looks settled now on the international stage and i personally won't mind him playing at the Gabba.

What about Bracken? he's always been good at the Gabba and he's got experience...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information