• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After a fairly rubbish start to his international career (was averaging 150 with the ball after 4 games), Mitchell Johnson has taken 11/140 in his last four games. Admittedly, it's just four games, but it's also half of his ODI career, and he currently averages 24.16 with the ball. He's been touted by Dennis Lillee as a 'once in a generation bowler,' is a left armer, so would offer variety, and by all accounts is looking a good bowler. So is he a chance for the Ashes? Statisically speaking, he's done better in FC cricket than List-A, and he did take 10 in the Pura Cup final last season, on a pitch that Queensland scored 6/900 on. He'll be up against competition from Clark, MacGill, Gillespie and Tait, though realistically probably only Clark and MacGill. Will he get a run then, and how will he go? Discuss.

Mister Wright

He is probably likely to play in the Ashes. Although given Clark's record in his small test career he would be very unlucky not to play, but we've seen it happen before. Australia should be playing their 4 best bowlers and atm MacGill is one of our 4 best bowlers so should play, particularly if Watson is selected.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
I dont think that Johnson is going to be playing in the Ashes series. He has been playing ODI for Australia and that is all. He has shown nothing to warrant a selection in four-day cricket and he should just continue to play ODI for Australia and that is it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I figured before the CT that if he played and took his chance well he was a shot in the Ashes, and he's certainly done that so far.

Right now I think there's three guys who might play in Brisbane, in Clark, Gillespie and Johnson. MacGill won't play the first test. Clark's injury is a fair setback and Gillespie's still struggling in domestic cricket, so the door is really open for Johnson if he makes a strong enough case. He's young, quick, he's done well against England so far and he's not been tried yet. I think right now he's probably about 50/50 to play in Brisbane, and if he does well in general over the next month he can improve that. Gillespie similarly needs to make a strong case with wickets, because either of them can move ahead of a guy who isn't playing any cricket.

Either way, he's clearly the number one pace prospect in Australia right now, and will play test cricket by 07/08 fitness permitting, even if he doesn't play in the Ashes.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I reckon Clark picked an absolutely disastrous time to get injured, and its going to end up costing him a certain starting position in the Ashes. He'll likely get picked ahead of Johnson for at least the first test, but if he doesn't produce, Johnson will quickly come in for him

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Clark had one of the best Test starts that I can remember, and it would be hard to overlook look him for the Ashes, is he fit. Johnson looks promising, but is he good enough to be a test bowler yet?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Come Boxing Day i wouldn't be surprised if he is playing Test for Australia. I think they will give the like of Clark, MacGill or Dizzy a run first and if they fail then give either Johnson or Tait a run in the last couple tests.

I have to admitt that when i first saw him, he didn't really impress me that much, but after a full season of FC cricket behind, he looks like his got the potential to be as good as Bruce Reid. But like Reid, i don't think he will continue his career injury free.

A bowling attack of say Lee, Johnson, Tait, <insert spinner>, Watson doesn't look too bad, if they keep developing and staying injury free.

howardj

International Coach
The planets are aligning for Johnson, with his performances in the ODI's (especially last night's game) and, secondly, Stuart Clark's injury. Moreover, I think given McGrath's innocuous bowling so far, I think the selectors are more likely to now lean towards someone with a bit of 'heat' to fill the third paceman's slot - rather than a line and length merchant, like a Clark or Gillespie.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Even if Clark were fit I'd be starting with him, he does look the real deal for mine. Not ligthening quick, but brisk enough & does put a lot of action on the ball so should swing it if the conditions are even vaguely conducive.

Admittedly yesterday was the first time I'd seen him bowl outside of the odd highlight on round-ups, but it does look like he bowls far fewer "4" balls than Tait does.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah if it were not such a watershead series, Johnson would be a huge chance to start. However, the instinctive reluctance to go for a greenhorn when such a lot is at stake, is probably the biggest obstacle Johnson faces to get into the Gabba XI.

Matt79

Global Moderator
PhoenixFire said:
Clark had one of the best Test starts that I can remember, and it would be hard to overlook look him for the Ashes, is he fit. Johnson looks promising, but is he good enough to be a test bowler yet?
That logic didn't help Hodge when the selectors decided Martyn was what the middle order needed. He didn't look good enough to be a one-day bowler 10 months ago, so its entirely within the realms of possibility that he will do ok if given the chance, given the rate at which he appears to be improving.

Perm

Ricky Ponting has said that Mitchell Johnson's name will come up when the selectors are talking about the side for the 1st test at the Gabba. "I would imagine that he's going to be spoken about a lot coming into the first Test because he's come along as quickly as he has and he's fitting into international cricket really well"

Good to see that he has the support from the Australian captain, looking increasingly likely that he will start in some of the Ashes tests.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well England picked KP after some superb ODI performances and he has be brilliant since, Johnson hasn't had the same success with the ball, but he looks settled now on the international stage and i personally won't mind him playing at the Gabba.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Alysum said:
What about Bracken? he's always been good at the Gabba and he's got experience...
He is useless after about 6 overs when the ball loses its shine. He is a one trick poney.

I don't even think that Clark is that good. He was the right man for the conditions in South Africa and played well but he got dropped in Bangladesh for Gillespie. He looked pretty ordinary against Queensland yesterday when a debutant and Bichel smashed him all over the ground.

Johnson looks the part. He is learning rapidly playing at the top level. I was very impressed with both him and Watson at the bowling crease against England. There also has to be a bit of a mental edge over the Poms come the first test.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
mavric41 said:
I don't even think that Clark is that good. He was the right man for the conditions in South Africa and played well but he got dropped in Bangladesh for Gillespie.
Clark wasn't dropped for Gillespie, he returned to Australia for the birth of his first child. Agree on Johnson, if we are going to play three quicks for the first test at the Gabba, which looks more likely now after MacGill's suspension 8-), then he is the man.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Great Birtannia said:
Clark wasn't dropped for Gillespie, he returned to Australia for the birth of his first child. Agree on Johnson, if we are going to play three quicks for the first test at the Gabba, which looks more likely now after MacGill's suspension 8-), then he is the man.
In an interview with him, he said he was available for the test, but when he wasn't picked he was released to see the birth.

Johnners

I'd play Johnson ahead of Clark in the 1st test even if Clark hadn't been injured. Johnson is lot different a bowler than the McGrathesque Clark. If McGrath struggled to take wickets, chances are Clark would as well, leaving most of the Attack up to Warne & Lee.

Playing Johnson would provide an edge to our Bowling attack that Clark couldn't, he's brisk, pushing close to 150km/h and has the ability to swing the ball.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I hope Australia don't pick him(but I support England so it's a compliment!!!:laugh: ) Australia have unleashed Iverson, Jeff Thomson, Hogg and even Peter(who?) Taylor on us in Australian Ashes series with spectacular results and if DK Lillee says hes "a once in a lifetime bowler" start worrying. And he got KP out for 1 on Saturday,,,:@