• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes 2006 - Battle of the Spinners.

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
Monty v Giles

Ok this is your decision, who do you think should be in the team. Either, Monty Penasar
or Ashley Giles, or maybe both.

MP = Monty Panesar

AG = Ashley Giles

B = Both

I will be giving updates on the scores when I come back of my holiday,

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why not just open up a poll?

I go for Monty, though its not as clear as some would make it out to be. It might also depend on the pitch.

simmy

International Regular
I still do not see how this is even an argument.

Monty is so much the better bowler that I think Giles may as well concede a premature end in his International Test career.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Panesar will probably get the spinners berth for England but it wouldn't at all suprise me if they went for reliable old no frills Giles.

Matt79

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Why not just open up a poll?
Its the guy's first post, he probably doesn't know how! Don't you remember when you were the new kid on the block SS? For shame! :)

PY

International Coach
Cameron-Moss said:
Monty v Giles

Ok this is your decision, who do you think should be in the team. Either, Monty Penasar
or Ashley Giles, or maybe both.

MP = Monty Panesar

AG = Ashley Giles

B = Both

I will be giving updates on the scores when I come back of my holiday,
Welcome mate. :)

I reckon Monty will get the nod if Freddie isn't bowling properly, and 2 spinners on the spin-friendly track.Though I can't get out of my head how much Fletch loves Gilo so I can definitely see Giles starting if he's been doing well in practice and his batting being used as the reason. Want Monty to show his batting ability sometime soon.

Going to move this to the Ashes forum too.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If it's a 4 man attack (including Flintoff) then Monty.

If it's a 5 man attack (including Flintoff) then Giles plays, but not sure if they go with both.