• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
Players such as Lehmann, Cox, Law, etc. all had to wait during their prime when they didn't get picked. The fact is Hodge is 32, and he needs to put his head down and score a mountain of runs, rather than moan about not getting picked. It is the same with MacGill.
Yea, but even you have to admit that his axing last season was totally unfair byt the selectors. Even if the selectors wanted Martyn back, the fact that Hodge wasn't even retained after such a solid start to his career & Clarke was picked (who at the time wasn't batting so well in tests) was rough.

He should definately be the back-up batsman in the test side ATM no doubt.

On MacGill i'd say he has much reason to moan, his talent has been wasted most of his career. As they always say, unlucky to be playing in the Warne era

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
Disregarding the fact he made 115* in about 70 today, over the last few seasons North has averaged;

2003-04: 984 runs at 54.66
2004-05: 747 runs at 53.35
2005-06: 712 runs at 50.85
And so far this season, 498 runs at 83.00.

He couldn't do a whole lot more to get picked, especially with a spot that is in the balance.
Damn, thats impressive yo, wasn't aware he has been so consistent in recent seasons. But Dave was right to point out that he didn't to hot in Lancashire colours last year. But if he keeps that up, an Australian call-up may not be too far away after all..

Last edited:

Alysum

U19 Debutant
I have some unwanted tickets for the MCG test days 2 and 3 which I'm selling at retail price if anyone is interested message me :)

Leigh

Cricket Spectator
aussie said:
Yea, but even you have to admit that his axing last season was totally unfair byt the selectors. Even if the selectors wanted Martyn back, the fact that Hodge wasn't even retained after such a solid start to his career & Clarke was picked (who at the time wasn't batting so well in tests) was rough.

He should definately be the back-up batsman in the test side ATM no doubt.

On MacGill i'd say he has much reason to moan, his talent has been wasted most of his career. As they always say, unlucky to be playing in the Warne era
If you take away the 203 not out Hodge scored against South Africa than he didn't do much. He also scored that double hundred on a pitch that was so flat that SA batted out the last day and a half to draw the match in the only test Australia hasn't won since losing the Ashes.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Wouldn`t surprise me. We should make it an (un)Official award. The 'Khaled Mahmud' award for the poster that just kept coming back? :p

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nnanden said:
Wouldn`t surprise me. We should make it an (un)Official award. The 'Khaled Mahmud' award for the poster that just kept coming back? :p
Don't know if we want to encourage that.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
Again I am off to the Boxing Day test to see another dead rubber test but this time I do not care. We have reclaimed the ashes. It is a toss up between if i want to see the Australians bat and watch Ponting and Hussey dominate or see Warne take his 700th. I think ill chose the latter, being their for a history making achievement will be awesome

So ill be their boxing day, maybe day 2, be there day 3 and we will see how good a test it is from their on. Can't wait for a few solid drinking days ahead.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Leigh said:
If you take away the 203 not out Hodge scored against South Africa than he didn't do much. He also scored that double hundred on a pitch that was so flat that SA batted out the last day and a half to draw the match in the only test Australia hasn't won since losing the Ashes.
Thats a bit harsh, that perth pitch wasn't that flat, on the 1st day it had plenty of assistance for the seamers, it flatted out really when Australia batted second. Yea other than his debut 50+ he doesn't, but runs are runs can't totally fault him for that, plus its not as if he looked out of place at test level. With all his domestic experience i reckon he could be a useful addition to the test set-up for the next 2-3 years at least.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Leigh said:
So therefore, when you add in the 203* that he DID make, he did do much?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah, I've never got that argument. He had 3 or 4 tests and scored 1 50 and 1 100, which was a double. Of course if you take out his 200 he's going to have a poor average, he's played a maximum of 8 innings.

James

Cricket Web Owner
It seems as though England's fourth seamer options just aren't good enough. I'd consider going in with Joyce for the next test and rely on Collingwood and Pietersen throwing in a few overs.

Surely it's about time Read was tried too?

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Joyce
Flintoff
Read
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar

It's an option James but TBH no else supports me here chuck Plunkett in there Shaun Tait learnt from it you may as well blood some players now in what is a dead series.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
People have hurled abuse at Plunkett, but when I have seen him play he has played well. Did very Well against Sri Lanka. He offers strength in the tail and for future months, looks a decent one-day player

Strauss
Bell
Cook
Collingwood
Pietersen
Flintoff
Read
Plunkett
Harmsion
Hoggard
Panesar

A potential idea maybe to alter the opening partnership. It was said yesterday on the forum that a low opening partnership leads to a low overall total, certainly for England anyway. It maybe worth chucking Ian Bell in at no.2, he has been consistent and will get you runs.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AussieDominance said:
It's an option James but TBH no else supports me here chuck Plunkett in there Shaun Tait learnt from it you may as well blood some players now in what is a dead series.
How can you say Tait has learned from his 2 games in the Ashes when he's not represented Australia since?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
James said:
It seems as though England's fourth seamer options just aren't good enough. I'd consider going in with Joyce for the next test and rely on Collingwood and Pietersen throwing in a few overs.

Surely it's about time Read was tried too?

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Joyce
Flintoff
Read
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar
Personally I'd pick that side for Boxing Day.

2 overs in the first 73 suggests Fred doesn't want Mahmood there, so why not pick a proper batsman (not least because we've a bit of a run for debutting batsmen!)

marc71178 said:
How can you say Tait has learned from his 2 games in the Ashes when he's not represented Australia since?
he collected a 7 for in the ING Cup Final of last year i think it was in abrutal display of quick bowling against a quality NSW Lineup.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a 6fer when he dismissed such luminaries as Simmons, Richards, Phelps and Krezja?

How does that show that he's learned a lot from 2 Tests?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair Marc, that was one of the best one-day bowling performances I've seen.