• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Well bowled sir. Won't look fair when you see his wickets on the highlights package. Most of them were just thrown away, however he deserved to have Pietersen stumped and Panesar was plumb LBW.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig said:
Batting or bowling? :p
Both.

McGrath > Flintoff
Clark = Hoggard
Lee = Harmison
Warne > Panesar
Symonds = Mahmood

Not a huge difference tbh.
As is often the case, McGrath and Warne is the difference - but it is a big one.

Plus, I think the batting holds significant differences as well. More than just the bowlers have a baring on if the batsmen struggle - the batsmen themselves play a large role.

Hayden = Strauss
Langer = Cook
Ponting > Bell
Hussey > Collingwood
Clarke < Pietersen
Symonds = Flintoff (both completely useless at the moment)
Gilchrist > Jones
Warne > Mahmood
Lee > Harmison
Clark > Panesar
McGrath < Hoggard

Bascially, what it boils down to, is that I don't think the Australian batsmen would have struggled nearly as much as the English.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Man for man Australia are undoubtedly better but an even bigger difference is the way that they work as a team and in partnerships and the fact that's they're better in the important positions (# 3, wicketkeeper, spinner).

You had Langer and Hayden equal with their corresponding counterparts. I'd have Langer better than Cook at least. Even if they are equal you'd expect Hayden/Langer to put a higher score on the board than Strauss/Cook.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeesh, what does Hoggard have to do to get an LBW? I'd say both of those appeals against Hayden were gone. Poor showing from Rudi so far this match.

Craig

World Traveller
So close to getting his hat-trick. I thought he had it.

How big will it be if Ponting goes tonight? Massive IMO.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
So close to getting his hat-trick. I thought he had it.
How? It was a foot down the leg-side.

Anyway, Hayden should have been out twice. Fairly disappointing umpiring in general today, though Rudi got a couple of close LBW shouts right earlier in the day. I guess when you give them all not out you look good sometimes. Good decision on the Cook caught behind too.

Pitch is lively, but it should be fairly good for batting through the middle of the test. Australia should score at least 300, which would make it pretty tough for England. Hopefully the rain stays away.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
How? It was a foot down the leg-side.

Anyway, Hayden should have been out twice. Fairly disappointing umpiring in general today, though Rudi got a couple of close LBW shouts right earlier in the day. I guess when you give them all not out you look good sometimes. Good decision on the Cook caught behind too.

Pitch is lively, but it should be fairly good for batting through the middle of the test. Australia should score at least 300, which would make it pretty tough for England. Hopefully the rain stays away.
Just for a split second it looked as though Ponting had touched it. But I had one eye on the TV screen and my computer so there you go.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
If this Series was a used car, you'd be within your rights to punch out the car salesman.
I don't think it's been that bad really. England have played some good cricket at times, and the standard overall has been as good as you'll ever see in test cricket. There's been a bit of variation in the pitches, and some great innings and bowling performances. It isn't as close as one might like, but Australia are a pretty good team and I don't think you can judge a series entirely on whether or not it is close.

pasag

RTDAS
What a day! The place went wild when Warne got the 700th, it was awesomeness.

One thing that stood out was Gilchrist’s drop, was a shocker, his worst in recent times. Lee was great as was Clark and to witness Warne get a 5fer in his last home game was a privilege.

Poor effort from the English batsmen who gave up without a fight, Read is just as good/bad as Jones and KP is the only one that looks like a consistent threat as usual.

Ponting to ton up tomorrow.

89,000 for a rainy day, not bad. Took some photos, will edit and post shortly.

Craig

World Traveller
Having seen the ball that got Strauss out, now I'm no batting coach/expert but if Strauss had played a better shot he wouldn't have been bowled? As good as the ball it looked like it was a poor shot but I'm probably wrong.

Craig

World Traveller
pasag said:
What a day! The place went wild when Warne got the 700th, it was awesomeness.

One thing that stood out was Gilchrist’s drop, was a shocker, his worst in recent times. Lee was great as was Clark and to witness Warne get a 5fer in his last home game was a privilege.

Poor effort from the English batsmen who gave up without a fight, Read is just as good/bad as Jones and KP is the only one that looks like a consistent threat as usual.

Ponting to ton up tomorrow.

89,000 for a rainy day, not bad. Took some photos, will edit and post shortly.
What about Hayden's drop? Mark Waugh would have taken that whilst having a punt at the races (or now being investigated by ASIC :mellow: ).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Having seen the ball that got Strauss out, now I'm no batting coach/expert but if Strauss had played a better shot he wouldn't have been bowled? As good as the ball it looked like it was a poor shot but I'm probably wrong.
Yeah it was pretty average batting. Really nice ball though. Drift was brilliant.