• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's an argument for protecting Pietersen from the newer ball though, and I think he's certainly better at batting with the tail than Collingwood. Could go either way.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
There's an argument for protecting Pietersen from the newer ball though, and I think he's certainly better at batting with the tail than Collingwood. Could go either way.
Collingwood also seems to be pretty uncomfortable when he's facing swinging and seaming deliveries, Pietersen has a much better technique than Collingwood, one that should be able to cope with the new ball better.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PhoenixFire said:
Collingwood also seems to be pretty uncomfortable when he's facing swinging and seaming deliveries, Pietersen has a much better technique than Collingwood, one that should be able to cope with the new ball better.
Technique really doesn't matter when you have a good eye. Bradman's technique wasn't the best, but his hand-eye coordination was simply brilliant. Pietersen is just amazing in what he does. His confidence at the crease really does put the pressure on the bowlers. He is as equally as good off the front foot as he is off the back and can play shots on the off and on without any obvious weaknesses and of course there's his ability to be able to play the unorthodux shots well. I don't see the new ball being a big problem for him.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Basically, Pietersen's technique is to get really far forward, whether it's the first ball of the innings or the last. Collingwood tends to prod forward and be a little tentative early on.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Did anyone else think the inclusion of Mahmood ahead of Anderson was a bit dodgy? I know that hindsight's a wonderful thing but really I never rated Saj and Anderson had just gunned it in a tour match. Having said that they'll probably stick with Saj for Melbourne.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
James90 said:
Did anyone else think the inclusion of Mahmood ahead of Anderson was a bit dodgy? I know that hindsight's a wonderful thing but really I never rated Saj and Anderson had just gunned it in a tour match. Having said that they'll probably stick with Saj for Melbourne.
It was Saj's batting that convinced Dunc, IMHO. It was clearly Fletcher who gave him the green light because it was painfully obvious that Fred didn't fancy Saj at all.

With that in mind I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Dalrymple come in for Saj. Melbourne supposed to be playing slow & low, so unlikely to suit Mahmood's sort of bowling.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
I'd prefer Joyce - far superior batsman and Pietersen's back up spin is about the level of Dalrymple.
I'd say Dalrymple is better than KP as a bowler. KP actually probably turns it more but will also bowl more "4" balls than Jamie.

Joyce is also unproven at the highest level as a batter. Admittedly Dalrymple has played more ODIs than Joyce, but Joyce hasn't played up any trees so far.