• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Craig

World Traveller
wpdavid said:
Depends whether we learn the lessons from this particular debacle.

1. Get over 2005 (still not convinced we've done that)
2. Prepare properly
3. Pick our best bowlers
4. Ditch players who have patently been out of form or past it for more than a series
5. Make sure the tail doesn't start at number 6
6. Don't burden our star allrounder with the captaincy
7. Don't rely on players who have barely played in the previous 9 months

2009 should be a close series, especially if we can develop a couple of our young quicks. However, given what we've seen over the last 15 months from selectors and a number of the players, I'd have to favour what will be a relatively new Aus side again.
Well a recent article in the paper here speculated Flintoff could end up as a scarred mentally after England's woeful performance and I guess this was kind of expected when you give him everything to worry about. I'm surprised he hasn't given up the captaincy, but then he is a proud man so he won't.

Anybody want to have a crack of a possible XI in three and a half years time?

*Strauss
Cook
Bell
Collingwood
KP
Flintoff
Jones/Read
?
?
Hamison/Anderson
Panesar

Didn't include the lieks of Trescothick, Vaughan, Simon Jones or Hoggard as I am not sure they will be around then. Giles should be long gone by then.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
andyc said:
Planning on being a tiny bit of a Jamee and digging up all your '5-0 posts,' tbh.
Well it's only fair. I'm sure I did, but I don't actually remember making any 5-0 predictions tbh. I do remember saying we could rest Flintoff when it was 3-0 though :ph34r:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Flintoff's bowling has looked less potent as the series has progressed to this point, IMO. I'm sure some of that has to do with the injury, but I'm sure the ankle is a lot sorer than it otherwise could have been...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Australian conditions certainly don`t help. English bowlers rely on swing, and only Hoggard is really getting any.

Great stuff by Hayden. :)

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Here's a possible England XI for 2009:
Strauss (capt)
Cook
Bell(vice-captain)
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Steven Davies /James Foster(WK)
Stuart Broad
Mahmood
Harmison
Panesar

My worry is Flintoff. Will his ankle have gave up completely by then? What we musn't do is panic after this series - notice nine of the XI is playing just now - but IMO we must look beyond Read and Jones as WK. Foster should have been on this tour and should be first choice. Steven Davies is a young 'keeper from Worcestershire who people say is as good a 'keeper as Read and has scored FC centuries and could be the long term bet. I'd make this XI slight favourites for 2009 (with home advantage) but it will depend on Australia's bowlers. I reckon Australia will always have good batsmen but the key for them will be if Tait and/or Johnson make the grade, will MacGill still be playing, or if not how on earth will they replace Warne? About as easily as we replaced Botham IMO - we are talking a once-in-a-lifetime player here.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eventhough Australia are likely to seal the Ashes with a 3-0 victory sometime on Sunday; since lunch on the 4th day at the 'Gabba this series has been far from one sided and entertaining. England really only have themselves to blame for their negative play on day 5 in Adelaide and their poor batting in the 1st innings in Perth. If they had of been more aggressive on the last day in Adelaide and batted well today England could be equalling the series at 1-1.

However, in saying that Australia have just been too good and pulled out the important plays when needed, and just want the Ashes more. Especially Ponting who has had that look on his face since he came out to bat in the first innings of the 'Gabba of "If you want to keep the Ashes you're going to have to play at your best to get them, because I'm fighting hard to get them back."

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Ricky Ponting has been insane this Ashes. Wants them back more than any other man without a doubt.

England have just lacked intensity. That over Flintoff bowled to Katich last series - where has that been?

Must say that the inclusions of Clark and Hussey are winning ones.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Panesar gets an early breakthrough, which will open the floodgates and see England dismiss Australia for less than 230. Engand will close on 200/3, just inches away from clawing their way back into the ashes series

Carlsberg don't do test match miracles, but if they did....

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Fiery said:
It's quite funny how they classify Mahmood as an allrounder in England with a first class batting average of 15
Who in England classifies him as an allrounder? No one I know does.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
Yeah, great year for English sport.

Football = crap, rugby = crap, Ashes = crap. The boys done good.
At least we win in the in the "Best royal and horse" competitions...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
But looking at the world cup, England best XI could be:

Strauss
Bell
Vaughan
Freddie
KP
Collingwood
Dalrymple
Read - since its unlikely my wish for Pothas won't come so soon
Lewis
Harmo
Anderson
I might just go commit suicide right now...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scaly piscine said:
Based on what? Panesar hardly got any spin (it's not like he's a slow-medium bowler like Giles) and Australia managed to lose 5 wickets to him - the pitch will take turn as it wears, Harmison knows this is his pitch which generally means he'll take 4 wickets at least per innings without too much bother.
Based on 119-1.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fiery said:
Maybe not but a number 8 should be really
So how many #8's around the world would you say are all rounders? :huh:

Kumble? Warne?

#8 should be able to hold a bat, I don't know who expects an all rounder at #8. If they were an all rounder, they'd bat at 6 or 7.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Panesar is simply class, Giles would not have created that Impact that Monty did, Fletcher should go now as it looks like the Ashes are lost after just 14 days of cricket when if we would have played Monty we would have won the Second test.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
Didn't include the lieks of Trescothick, Vaughan, Simon Jones or Hoggard as I am not sure they will be around then. Giles should be long gone by then.
I'll give you the first three - but Hoggard isn't 30 until New Year's Eve. Never mind 2009, he'll be in the party in 2010/11 too.