• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

pasag

RTDAS
wpdavid said:
Vaughan was world class 4 years ago, but rather than less than that for most of the last three. Apart from that he's barely played for about 12 months. As for Tres, the informed opinion seems to be that there's some sort of mental problem, which may well have finished his test career, unless you know something we don't. As for Fred, he's been overburdened, especially coming back from injury. He shouldn't be captain, and he should be batting at 7 as part of a 4man attack. Unfortunately our selectors have a fixation with 2005 and don't appear to have watched much test cricket since then.
Yeah spot on.

Beautiful running there.

pasag

RTDAS
Fiery said:
Oh, did I offend your sensibilities? Sorry, I'll remember to be more PC in future. It's a dream for most red-blooded blokes to play cricket for their national side. He's a soft-****
Rubbish post that shows an acute lack of awareness of mental illness.

greg

International Debutant
Fiery said:
Oh, did I offend your sensibilities? Sorry, I'll remember to be more PC in future. It's a dream for most red-blooded blokes to play cricket for their national side. He's a soft-****
And you are an idiot. Apologies.

Fiery

Banned
greg said:
And you are an idiot. Apologies.
Are you apologising for me being an idiot? No need. Of course I am, I'm not playing the game, I'm talking about it instead. I've been stressed and it's all about your position in life compared to your own expectations and in that regard Trescothick is a soft-****

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
aussie said:
Fair point yo, really can't disagree. But looking at the world cup, England best XI could be:

Strauss
Bell
Vaughan
Freddie
KP
Collingwood
Dalrymple
Read - since its unlikely my wish for Pothas won't come so soon
Lewis
Harmo
Anderson
I'd go with that batting lineup, but with Flintoff at six. Also perhaps Yardy in for Vaughan, given the success Gayle and Samuels have had recently bowling flat finger-spin in the Windies.

Craig

World Traveller
adharcric said:
Dare say that Monty isn't too far behind Giles as a batsman. Tough to bash Giles for being crap; Fletcher's the idiot who should take the abuse but Giles needs to be dropped from this side. He's nothing but a defensive bowler who can bat and field a bit. England need to find another spinner - please, no more Giles or Blackwell.
Well that was the role he was used in and they showed the difference between Panesar and Giles' respective grips on the ball and if you changed the way Giles held the ball before he bowled he would probably be more attacking.

And it is not as though he hasn't been successful, in 2004 for esxample he had a legitimate claim to be the best left arm spinner going around. And for his batting his half century helped KP out during The Oval Test so isn't as though he is completely and utterly hopeless as he is made out to be.

As I type Ponting has a 50 which will mean another 100 for him. I think we can almost pencle in a Ponting ton for at least one innings of a Test match.

Craig

World Traveller
pasag said:
Ponting's back! 50 up.
I don't mean to be a smart arse but you have just made it sound like Ponting has gone for 10 Test matches with out scoring many runs. But then with his form an innings without a century is considered something wrong :mellow:

pasag

RTDAS
Craig said:
I don't mean to be a smart arse but you have just made it sound like Ponting has gone for 10 Test matches with out scoring many runs. But then with his form an innings without a century is considered something wrong :mellow:
Haha yeah, was implied :)

Fiery

Banned
I can sort of understand where Neil Harvey is coming from. Watching Ponting is like watching a robot, (the same with Glenn McGrath), there is no character at all in the way they play, every shot or ball looks the same as another one you saw the last time they played. No matter how perfectly executed they are, it's still as boring as bat****

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
I'd go with that batting lineup, but with Flintoff at six. Also perhaps Yardy in for Vaughan, given the success Gayle and Samuels have had recently bowling flat finger-spin in the Windies.
The middle trio of Freddie/KP/Collingwood for me could rotate based on the game situation though, so that shouldn't be a major prob..

On Yardy, his bowling has been good yea, but his batting has looked way out of depth, wouldn't have him batting anywhere higher than #8, i'd say he'll be lucky to make the WC squad has a back-up spinner to Dalrymple give the presence of Gilo & Panesar.

Craig

World Traveller
Fiery said:
I can sort of understand where Neil Harvey is coming from. Watching Ponting is like watching a robot, (the same with Glenn McGrath), there is no character at all in the way they play, every shot or ball looks the same as another one you saw the last time they played. No matter how perfectly executed they are, it's still as boring as bat****
You are becoming one of my favourite posters, you certaintly pull no punches.

Dravid

International Captain
Whoever is still going to be posting in this thread, I will see you all tomorrow. Time for some India v South Africa.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Er, maybe we can reclaim the Ashes in 2009? It's been a good 15 months holding them, but now I shall redecorate my desk.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Er, maybe we can reclaim the Ashes in 2009? It's been a good 15 months holding them, but now I shall redecorate my desk.
Planning on being a tiny bit of a Jamee and digging up all your '5-0 posts,' tbh.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Er, maybe we can reclaim the Ashes in 2009? .
Depends whether we learn the lessons from this particular debacle.

1. Get over 2005 (still not convinced we've done that)
2. Prepare properly
3. Pick our best bowlers
4. Ditch players who have patently been out of form or past it for more than a series
5. Make sure the tail doesn't start at number 6
6. Don't burden our star allrounder with the captaincy
7. Don't rely on players who have barely played in the previous 9 months

2009 should be a close series, especially if we can develop a couple of our young quicks. However, given what we've seen over the last 15 months from selectors and a number of the players, I'd have to favour what will be a relatively new Aus side again.

Last edited:

Josh

International Regular
Can someone please remind me why we allow England to continue playing test cricket?? :p