• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Fiery

Banned
greg said:
The little remaining hope i've got in England's ODI team will disappear if Monty isn't picked. Anyone who thinks he should not be in the team does not understand One day cricket IMO, even more so since the "powerplays" came in and the value of wicket takers, especially economical wicket takers, increased.
Hear hear

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Laurrz said:
oh yea

Panesar to Hayden...what ive been waiting for..

Hayden absolutely destroys spinners

Panesar has said he has two childhood heros.. Tendulkar and Hayden
Well, he has bowled to a few decent players of the slow stuff over the last 9 months, so he shouldn't be excessively worried at the prospect.

Fiery

Banned
"For all you Englishmen and Kiwis out there:
I've decided my dream in life is to use Ricky Ponting in a dwarf-throwing contest with my mates"

OK, not a single laugh...maybe Justin Langer then

PY

International Coach
I would've laughed but I'm too depressed. Ponting for a 150 and Hayden for 50 and the game over by the end of the 3rd day.

3-0 Aussie Aussie Aussie.

Legendgeraint

Cricket Spectator
Geraint Jones is ****

:@
AussieDominance said:
I thought he was a legend:laugh:
And he's on the ****ing selection comittee on tour! I am on a mission to get him out of the side. It ****s me off every time I see the ****er.

So far in this match he hasn't dropped a thing. Thats only cos you can't count the ones he doesn't get to as drops. Of these there have been two. He also got a 4th ball duck. What a dude.

Fiery

Banned
PY said:
I would've laughed but I'm too depressed. Ponting for a 150 and Hayden for 50 and the game over by the end of the 3rd day.

3-0 Aussie Aussie Aussie.
Chin up old son. At least your rugby team's playing well

irfan

State Captain
How much do u guys think England wud hav to limit Australia for England to have a chaseable total ? By chaseable I mean chaseable for England

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
irfan said:
How much do u guys think England wud hav to limit Australia for England to have a chaseable total ? By chaseable I mean chaseable for England
We'd need to bowl them out by stumps today.

Fiery

Banned
irfan said:
200. Ian Chappell just said Hoggard is a number 11 if ever I saw one. Harsh

PY

International Coach
Yeah, great year for English sport.

Football = crap, rugby = crap, Ashes = crap. The boys done good.

shortpitched713

International Captain
irfan said:
I'd say they've already missed the boat on that one.

Fiery

Banned
greg said:
Why is Flintoff in the England team, please?
He's having a shocker alright. Vaughan is world class, in Australia and not playing which I find hard to fathom, and Trescothick is just sick of having to travel around the world, staying in 4 star hotels playing the game he loves.

greg

International Debutant
Fiery said:
He's having a shocker alright. Vaughan is world class, in Australia and not playing which I find hard to fathom, and Trescothick is just sick of having to travel around the world, staying in 4 star hotels playing the game he loves.
Not sure the latter two points were either justified or necessary. Vaughan is injured, not too difficult to fathom, is it? As for Trescothick... well that comment is hardly necessary.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
The little remaining hope i've got in England's ODI team will disappear if Monty isn't picked. Anyone who thinks he should not be in the team does not understand One day cricket IMO, even more so since the "powerplays" came in and the value of wicket takers, especially economical wicket takers, increased.
Fair point yo, really can't disagree. But looking at the world cup, England best XI could be:

Strauss
Bell
Vaughan
Freddie
KP
Collingwood
Dalrymple
Read - since its unlikely my wish for Pothas won't come so soon
Lewis
Harmo
Anderson

Dalrymple may not be in the same league as Panesar in terms of quality, but this year he's proven to be a good steady bowler & overall he'd be a better option to start than him.

Again i say Gilo has been a a very reliable ODI bowler over the years & going into the WC at least his overall experience would be a better, Panesar does not have enough exposure in OD cricket to be drafted in to the team as yet, he is very accurate in test no doubt but at times his lines & lenghts do become a bit predictable & i think he would be targeted, that little over againts Symonds on day 1 should give you an idea. His chance in ODI's should come but after the WC for me.

You mention the need for economical wicket-takers with the introduction of power-plays all true, but i won't stress too much on the ``economical side`` since only McGrath & Pollock can be really put into the bracket in modern ODI cricket of ``economical wicket-takers``.

Once England pacers are on the mark they can get batsmen out, Anderson has a top SR in ODI's, Lewis has proven of late once he bowls with the 1st 30 overs when the ball is still new he can get blokes out, you know what you will get from Freddie and Harmo can do the buisness once on the mark.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Fiery said:
Vaughan was world class 4 years ago, but rather than less than that for most of the last three. Apart from that he's barely played for about 12 months. As for Tres, the informed opinion seems to be that there's some sort of mental problem, which may well have finished his test career, unless you know something we don't. As for Fred, he's been overburdened, especially coming back from injury. He shouldn't be captain, and he should be batting at 7 as part of a 4man attack. Unfortunately our selectors have a fixation with 2005 and don't appear to have watched much test cricket since then.

Fiery

Banned
greg said:
Not sure the latter two points were either justified or necessary. Vaughan is injured, not too difficult to fathom, is it? As for Trescothick... well that comment is hardly necessary.
Oh, did I offend your sensibilities? Sorry, I'll remember to be more PC in future. It's a dream for most red-blooded blokes to play cricket for their national side. He's a soft-****. Re Vaughan: he's not that injured if he's playing cricket.

Last edited: