• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Before I forget, its time for my Crazy £5 bet of the week. Im already £10 after two bets

Panesar will take 10+ wickets, and score 20+ runs in at least one innings. and take at least one catch

Steulen

International Regular
That's overly crazy. I'd wager the same on him being the top England wicket taker, scoring a 20, and running out an Aussie.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Steulen said:
That's overly crazy. I'd wager the same on him being the top England wicket taker, scoring a 20, and running out an Aussie.
You have yourself a deal, Mr Steulen :)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Fletcher & Flintoff need to make some hard decisions on the team make up on thursday, since i'd rather (even if England lose in Perth) they try something different now, rather than when the Ashes has been lost.

This team should play IMO:

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Collingwood
KP
Joyce
Flintoff
Read
Hoggard
Anderson
Panesar

Has i keep saying neither Jones/Read are good enough anymore IMO & i'm just counting down the days until hopefully the selectors pick Nic Pothas, but for now they'll have to make use of them, Jones needs to go, give Read a shot.

For the first two test as well all have seen out of England's 5 picked bowlers only Hoggy & Freddie have looked like getting blokes out, while the batting even though its said to be down to 8 is only up to KP with Freddie not looking capable of batting @ 6 (at least in Australia ATM) & Jones/Gilo being a waste of time.

So with that in mind i think its pretty clear than England should strengthen the batting by including Joyce to bat @ 6, pick Panesar who for the year has arguably been England best test bowler, so at least England will have 3 bowlers who for sure they can depend on.

That just leaves one place open, Harmy has to be dropped now, but that doesn't mean for good since he still has a role to play for England in the future, ATM he is clearly off the mark & in such a crucial test he SHOULD NOT be risked, so its down to the two Lancashire men, Anderson at least has shown some improvement in the warm-ups unlike the Hurricane Harmo while Mahmood may be a wild card so maybe he shouldn't be risekd, but these decisions need to made now or wait until 2009 to get the Ashes back..

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
Anderson at least has shown some improvement in the warm-ups unlike the Hurricane Harmo while Mahmood may be a wild card but they either go for him now or wait until 2009 to get the Ashes back..
What are the odds that Mahmood features in the next Ashes series? I'd have an out-of-sorts Harmison in ahead of him every time.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
What are the odds that Mahmood features in the next Ashes series? I'd have an out-of-sorts Harmison in ahead of him every time.
His chances are pretty good, Mahmood was just like Harmison 4 years ago @ Home vs India & down in Australia, inconsistent, fast, with a lot of potential. All he needs is a break-through series like Harmison had in 2004 & he'll be causing batsmen headache at the highest level.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
shortpitched713 said:
I guess that's one way to shore up the batting lineup without sacrificing bowling. 8-).
Which bowling is that dawg?, the mytical 5-man attack i presume.

shortpitched713 said:
Still wouldn't win, tbh.
Probably wont, but its better to try something different now, rather than stick with that team..

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
His chances are pretty good, Mahmood was just like Harmison 4 years ago @ Home vs India & down in Australia, inconsistent, fast, with a lot of potential. All he needs is a break-through series like Harmison had in 2004 & he'll be causing batsmen headache at the highest level.
How often does Harmison cause batsmen headaches at the highest level? When last has Harmison had a good series? 2004?

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
Which bowling is that dawg?, the mytical 5-man attack i presume.

Probably wont, but its better to try something different now, rather than stick with that team..
He was commenting on your 12-man strategy...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How often does Harmison cause batsmen headaches at the highest level? When last has Harmison had a good series? 2004?
Fair enough, but you never know, maybe if Mahmood has break-through series he could go on from it consistently unlike what Harmo has done since 2004.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Gonna be a very busy cricket weekend all three tests live on tv over here.

From when NZ/SL starts on Thursday night at 9.30pm to half 4 in the morning then the second day of the Ashes 2.30am-9.30am then SA against india 8.30am-15.30pm then back to NZ at 9.30pm.

Its going to be an interesting weekend since i have my works do from midday on Friday then my football club christmas night on Saturday.

Trying to decide whether to stay up Thursday night for the first session then sleep till i have to go out, or go to sleep early and wake up early - suppose it depends what happens on the first day.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Has i keep saying neither Jones/Read are good enough anymore IMO & i'm just counting down the days until hopefully the selectors pick Nic Pothas, but for now they'll have to make use of them, Jones needs to go, give Read a shot.
Out of interest, why are you so sure that Pothas is going to so good?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think trying to find another Gilchrist is quite inane, and the difference between Read and Jones with the bat is not that much.

adharcric

International Coach
Jones and Giles definitely need to go though. It doesn't matter who they bring in, these two need to go. Both are useless.
Anderson may have done well in the warm-up but honestly will he trouble the Aussies? Doubt it. Mahmood has a chance if he's at his best.