Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 13 of 104 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Bowling tgfg Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I don't think anybody (other than Tharmi) is saying that Voges is a bad player. He's obviously good and is in good form as well. I don't see what his home ground has to do with it as you don't give players test caps based on them knowing the conditions, but the guy can play.

I really don't see though how he's more deserving than Jaques. Hell, even Cosgrove or Birt would be more deserving of a place based on their performances, and as a prospect for the future you'd look at someone like Marsh. It's not like Voges is Michael Clarke. He's 27 and hasn't played ODIs, his performances for Australia A have been less impressive than those of other players and he's made heaps of runs on the flattest pitch in the country this year. Poor choice.
    You`re fat.
    Jesus brings life eternal

Who would you have picked then considering the selectors can`t go with Watson, Hodge who would be risky considering he`s coming back from injury, and Jaques who seems slotted in as an opener in the selectors` eyes?

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    Who would you have picked then considering the selectors can`t go with Watson, Jaques or Hodge (coming of an injury, would be a risk to choose him) ?
    Cosgrove, Birt, Marsh, Katich, Rogers, if they don't want to try Jaques as middle order batsmen.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    Who would you have picked then considering the selectors can`t go with Watson, Hodge who would be risky considering he`s coming back from injury, and Jaques who seems slotted in as an opener in the selectors` eyes?
    Well ideally they should have gone for Jaques, but given that they don't want to pick him anywhere other than opening, I'd say Birt. Did well for Australia A, good seasons for both Tasmania and Derbyshire last year, and has three fifties for the season so far IIRC and has done well in the one dayers too. Also made runs against England for the PM's XI. Has less runs than Vogues for the year, but I don't think you can really base your selection process on three Pura Cup games anyway.

Failing Birt, it's hard to say. Maybe Cosgrove or Katich, or maybe Voges, assuming Rogers is also out of the question. Maybe a number of other batsmen who are in form. I can understand the reluctance to go back to Katich as he's seen as a return to the past and isn't really very young, but he'd have been a fair choice on form as well. Voges probably on par with Katich in my mind, and I can see why they might choose him first based on his age. Cosgrove has a lower FC average than Voges, but I really think he's more likely to be a good batsman in the long term, similar to Marsh.

Not sure that Voges is the best non-test and non-old batmsan in the country after Jaques, Hodge, Watson, Rogers, Birt and Cosgrove, but he's close enough. For me, it's a bit like picking Nick Jewell or Tim Paine. Sure they've made a few runs recently, but they haven't done it for long enough to prove much, and there's not a massive volume of runs that justifies picking them quickly and getting them into the team.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 08-12-2006 at 12:11 AM.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Haha, Voges and Symonds. Seriously. Hahahahahahaha. Symonds at 6 could really cost Australia.

... .... .- -.- . / - .... . / -.. . .- - .... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... --- -. . ...

He`ll prove you all wrong I tells ya. You`ll see.

Symondddssssss!

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
    Haha, Voges and Symonds. Seriously. Hahahahahahaha. Symonds at 6 could really cost Australia.
    if ever there was a time for symo to PLAY HIS NATURAL GAME

it would be NOW

Lol and Symonds marks his call-up by making 4.

I'm probably ignorant, stupid and haven't been following/reading enough posts and media reports but is there a reason why England are playing a two-day game against WA? Surely a 3 or 4 day affair would be more meaningful? Seems about as stupid for not asking for a FC game against Queensland in the lead-up to the 1st Test.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Lol and Symonds marks his call-up by making 4.

I'm probably ignorant, stupid and haven't been following/reading enough posts and media reports but is there a reason why England are playing a two-day game against WA? Surely a 3 or 4 day affair would be more meaningful? Seems about as stupid for not asking for a FC game against Queensland in the lead-up to the 1st Test.
    With all of what 7 or 8 days between games, a 3 or 4 day one is asking too much of players about to play 3 more very hard games in a short space of time.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Well you have Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and by the look of things practice and game time is what some of these English players need.

Otherwise is there anything the likes of Read, Panesar, Plunkett, Joyce, Mahmood going to prove when they won't have time to have a proper innings or bowling spell?

It's all well and good saying those 5 haven't played, but you need to add 6 more into make up a team, and the players are both physically and mentally shattered already.

And wouldn't that be the place to get some confidence as well?

Anyway whether you agree or not, I think for Perth and I know it is easier said then done but England have to forget about the previous two Tests. Just forget it, as simple as that. The middle order is performing, but it needs to do it for the other innings and the bowlers need to step up.

Alec Stewart was quoted in today's paper that Flintoff is the right man for the job but the rest need to lift their game to support them. For as well as he has bowled Stuart Clark doesn't come across as a world class bowler and England need to be more proactive against him and look to be more positive against him and they will start to have success (as showed when they did look to punish him when he bowled some loose balls). Look they can bat against the likes of Warne and can score runs against him, they have done so in the past, so why not again?

I would also be rounding up all the tapes of Steve Harmison getting wickets in last year's Ashes and from 2004. And I would be showing it to him and be telling him 'you have done it before so I expect you do it again'.

Well that is some of the stuff I would do.

For all the slagging off they get nobody seems offering any suggestions on how they need to get better.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig

For all the slagging off they get nobody seems offering any suggestions on how they need to get better.
    What, apart from picking our best bowling attack?

Thats really REALLY strange to pick Voges and Symonds...suppose they just want to give them some experience carrying the drinks !

I suppose they picked Symonds because he's a great fielder, a good friend of everyone and because they need another bowler (but his bowling is not test standard...).

I was really happy they picked him last summer so see how he would go but lets be honest he won't ever becomea good test player...

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    What, apart from picking our best bowling attack?
    What exactly would that be though?

Page 13 of 104 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread Information