Page 12 of 104 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

Quote Originally Posted by spindizzy
    Have to agree to disagree. BTW how long did it take QL to win its first Sheffield Shield? (Though after they broke their duck they've made a much better showing)

Missing that obvious superiority there

Honestly though, Cosgrove would be my first choice even though he's from SA. I'm inclined to ignore County stuff because it's just not the cauldron that State cricket here is.

Can I assume from your silence on him you don't completely disagree?
    I see Cosgrove as a no.3 or no.4 for the longer version of the game, but i wouldn't be rushing him into the team anytime soon. Brad Hodge & Shane Watson are well ahead of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Cosgrove can get in front of Jaques in the line for opening when he starts opening himself in FC cricket.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Looks like Hodge might play in Perth now, given Martyn's retirement. That's assuming Watson isn't fit, which he probably won't be. In fact, even if he is, he'll have no cricket behind him and they might not pick him until Boxing Day.

I suppose losing Martyn also opens the door for a five bowler policy, if they go that way. I find it a bit hard to see them doing that unless they bring MacGill into the squad, but you never know.

The other option is Jaques in the middle order, but I think they've got him down as a replacement opener instead. If Hodge isn't fit they might go for Jaques at 4, but otherwise I don't think they'd bat him down the order.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 07-12-2006 at 08:28 PM.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Vice-Captain mikeW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Looks like Hodge might play in Perth now, given Martyn's retirement. That's assuming Watson isn't fit, which he probably won't be. In fact, even if he is, he'll have no cricket behind him and they might not pick him until Boxing Day.

I suppose losing Martyn also opens the door for a five bowler policy, if they go that way. I find it a bit hard to see them doing that unless they bring MacGill into the squad, but you never know.

The other option is Jaques in the middle order, but I think they've got him down as a replacement opener instead. If Hodge isn't fit they might go for Jaques at 4, but otherwise I don't think they'd bat him down the order.
    Watson has already ruled himself out of the 3rd test, it was in the hearld sun today.

Quote Originally Posted by spindizzy
    Have to agree to disagree. BTW how long did it take QL to win its first Sheffield Shield? (Though after they broke their duck they've made a much better showing)

Missing that obvious superiority there

Honestly though, Cosgrove would be my first choice even though he's from SA. I'm inclined to ignore County stuff because it's just not the cauldron that State cricket here is.

Can I assume from your silence on him you don't completely disagree?
    You've gone from wanting Rogers, then Ronchi, then Voges and now Cosgrove.... Anyone else??

International Vice-Captain mikeW's Avatar
    Voges is in but WTF?

Not too surprised they didn't go with Jaques. As I said earlier, they've obviously got him down as an opener and not a middle order bat and they won't want to stray from that.

Hodge is clearly out of contention with injury otherwise they'd have picked him. Symonds isn't really a big shock, and I think unfortunately that he'll get the nod, but Voges is really inexplicable. I could understand him being considered for the ODI team, but as a test player? Surely there's half a dozen better FC bats they could have picked, even leaving Jaques aside. Katich? Hell, Marsh? It really is a stunner.

I doubt he'll play anyway. Symonds will bat at 6.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Poor decision really, Voges and Symonds are crap really. Cosrgrove ever unlikely
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    Poor decision really, Voges and Symonds are crap really. Cosrgrove ever unlikely
    I don't think Voges is "crap" at all, but he's clearly not one of the best batsmen in the country. Symonds is, realistically, pretty crap. If he manages to get it right I can see him making decent runs once or twice, but he's never going to be much of a threat with the ball. He bowled about as well as he can last year in the tests and still only had one good game.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I don't think Voges is "crap" at all, but he's clearly not one of the best batsmen in the country. Symonds is, realistically, pretty crap. If he manages to get it right I can see him making decent runs once or twice, but he's never going to be much of a threat with the ball. He bowled about as well as he can last year in the tests and still only had one good game.
    Do you honestly think Voges will do anything in Test Cricket, a good ODI prospect though. Also it should be mentioned that Voges is 27, not that old, but they would have been better bring in someone like Crosgrove who they can build a side around. Just looks like they are blooding some guys for the World Cup, in Test Cricket really. Pretty stupid considering this is the Ashes series. His never been that great in FC and was in and out of the side when the Test players came back. Really should have never gone close to the Test side, let alone make the squad.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    I think it`s a top selection. Young player, been great the last few seasons and amazing this season. The Perth wicket will be very unpredictable and Voges will know how it plays. Gun fielder and decent part-time spinner as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    I think it`s a top selection. Young player, been great the last few seasons and amazing this season. The Perth wicket will be very unpredictable and Voges will know how it plays. Gun fielder and decent part-time spinner as well.
    I don't think anybody (other than Tharmi) is saying that Voges is a bad player. He's obviously good and is in good form as well. I don't see what his home ground has to do with it as you don't give players test caps based on them knowing the conditions, but the guy can play.

I really don't see though how he's more deserving than Jaques. Hell, even Cosgrove or Birt would be more deserving of a place based on their performances, and as a prospect for the future you'd look at someone like Marsh. It's not like Voges is Michael Clarke. He's 27 and hasn't played ODIs, his performances for Australia A have been less impressive than those of other players and he's made heaps of runs on the flattest pitch in the country this year. Poor choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    His not really that young at 27, by world standards, but compared to the rest of the Australian team maybe.

I never said he is a bad player Sean, just his not up to Test standard and its crap selection compared to the other they could have picked.

Page 12 of 104 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread Information