• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
England will lose to a fired-up Australian side looking for revenge.... Revenge I tells you

Craig

World Traveller
Could Panesar and Giles both play here at Adelaide?

I suppose you could say they are simlar in that they are both left arm spinners, but Giles is more the containing type while from what I have seen of young Mudhseden is more of an attacking bowler so it could work perhaps.

Thoughts?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Macgill broke his nose at NSW training yesterday, will be interesting to see if he recovers in time for this test. If he doesnt i doubt Australia would play 2 spinners - though it is Cullenes home ground.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
Macgill broke his nose at NSW training yesterday, will be interesting to see if he recovers in time for this test. If he doesnt i doubt Australia would play 2 spinners - though it is Cullenes home ground.
If Cullen were to play it would be a joke. Can't remember the last time he took a wicket before his 25th over.

If we win the first test and MacGill is out they should stick with the same team.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Geez, Australia's really got the typical England injury crisis this year. Watson, Martyn, Tait and now MacGill. Seems like our selection dilemmas are all going to be solved by half the choices being ruled out.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I can't in a million years see Cullen as a Test Match quality spinner at the moment. Sure he looks good at State level, but how is he going to cope when Pietersen is blasting him for 6 every ball?

andyc

PhoenixFire said:
I can't in a million years see Cullen as a Test Match quality spinner at the moment. Sure he looks good at State level, but how is he going to cope when Pietersen is blasting him for 6 every ball?
He does? :blink:

oz_fan

International Regular
It will be interesting to see who the Australian selectors pick for the Adelaide test considering how well Clark has bowled at the Gabba. A lot will depend on whether Watson is fit because if he is then I think they'll go with Watson as the third seamer and play MacGill.

JASON said:
Hope Monty gets picked as the second spinner in place of James Anderson .
Agreed. Panesar has to be in the side somewhere.

Last edited:

Perm

I do hope Panesar get's picked but I really hope that Stuart MacGill doesn't, I honestly can't stand him and I like the look of Stuart Clark even more after his entertaining innings yesterday.

Matt79

Global Moderator
My team for Adelaide, recognising there's still at least one more day's play in Brisbane would be:
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Watson
Gilchrist
Lee
Warne
Clark
McGrath

I'd bring Watson right back, and Clarke would have to go, although the selectors should let him know that's he's the number 1 reserve for the rest of the summer. I wouldn't play MacGill if it means dropping S. Clark.

If I was selecting for England, I'd go:
Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Hoggard
Anderson
Paneser

Tell Harmy to go away and get his head (and bowling action) right.

andyc

Matt79 said:
My team for Adelaide, recognising there's still at least one more day's play in Brisbane would be:
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Watson
Gilchrist
Lee
Warne
Clark
McGrath

I'd bring Watson right back, and Clarke would have to go, although the selectors should let him know that's he's the number 1 reserve for the rest of the summer. I wouldn't play MacGill if it means dropping S. Clark.
Given Clarke's relative success, especially when compared to Martyn, could we see him dropped and Clarke (or even Watson) promoted to four? I doubt it personally, but it's hard to drop someone who hit a 50 in his comeback match.

Matt79

Global Moderator
The getting one test, scoring a fifty and being dropped again is a pattern for the Aussie team however. Martyn himself was averaging 80 odd at one stage because he'd only get one test a series, hit an unbeaten half century, not bat in the second innings and then make way for whichever Waugh brother had been out. Katich did the same thing. On the strength of one half century by Clarke they're not going to drop Martyn.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Matt79 said:
The getting one test, scoring a fifty and being dropped again is a pattern for the Aussie team however. Martyn himself was averaging 80 odd at one stage because he'd only get one test a series, hit an unbeaten half century, not bat in the second innings and then make way for whichever Waugh brother had been out.
When was Martyn ever averaging that or doing anything of the sort?

Craig

World Traveller
New Zealand 99-00 and I assuming that he is talking about but I couldn't tell you the average right tbh.