• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
chalky said:
Very quiet 1st hour really. The pitch has done nothing, the Aussie bowlers though have bowled good lines and lenghs which has restricted Englands runrate.

On a side note Hussain saying that the bowlers, especially Lee, should be bowling more short pitched balls trying to get Strauss Hooking and Pulling.
You had to say something, didn't you?

pasag

RTDAS
FaaipDeOiad said:
Doing the same thing as mine? Randomly resetting to a blue screen and taking a few minutes to start up again?

I tried to ring them, but was on hold for ages and just gave up. If it's a widespread problem I'm sure they'll fix it eventually.
My menus and half the channels don't work and I called up a friend who is having the same problem. I hooked up the normal TV now though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chalky said:
Very quiet 1st hour really. The pitch has done nothing, the Aussie bowlers though have bowled good lines and lenghs which has restricted Englands runrate.
This is pretty much the way it usually turns out at Adelaide on the first day. You see wickets falling to things like slower balls, miscued hooks and pulls and so on, but there should be heaps of runs in it. Cricinfo had a stats thing saying that the average runs per wicket at Adelaide is over 40 in the first innings.

It'll turn later in the match and probably get a bit uneven. Panesar, anyone?

chalky

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
This is pretty much the way it usually turns out at Adelaide on the first day. You see wickets falling to things like slower balls, miscued hooks and pulls and so on, but there should be heaps of runs in it. Cricinfo had a stats thing saying that the average runs per wicket at Adelaide is over 40 in the first innings.

The pitch seems a bit slow to me which is restricting strokeplay and making getting an edge to carry behind the wicket very difficult.

Does it quicken up on days 2 & 3?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FaaipDeOiad said:

I think its 440 runs in the first innings as average. And yea, Panesar will be missed. Giles to score less than 15 runs and last for less than 40 balls as well. Nothing against Giles, he's a good option when there is nothing else, but you cannot take 20 Aussie wickets unless you play your best bowlers, and Giles is not it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
chalky said:
The pitch seems a bit slow to me which is restricting strokeplay and making getting an edge to carry behind the wicket very difficult.

Dunno, doesn't seem all that slow to me. 440 runs is average in the first innings.

chalky

International Debutant
silentstriker said:
Dunno, doesn't seem all that slow to me. 440 runs is average in the first innings.
Gilchrist taking most balls down by his ankles looks slow to me.

chalky

International Debutant
silentstriker said:
Were you drunk when you made that bet?
I also bet on Australia to score less than 410 in their 1st innings at Brisbane. I think I will quit whilst I'm behind.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chalky said:

Yeah I think it's a bit slow too. I imagine it might have something to do with the fact that it's a lot cooler in Adelaide than it usually is at this time of year. It's the hottest and driest major city in the country, but it's 25 and mild all week this week. So the pitch might be a bit different to normal. Anyway, I'm not sure if it will quicken up or not, I guess it's possible with the sun on it. Should be docile for the quicks throughout anyway, until the bounce plays up.

Eight overs on the trot for McGrath. Guess he's fit to go then.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah I think it's a bit slow too. I imagine it might have something to do with the fact that it's a lot cooler in Adelaide than it usually is at this time of year. It's the hottest and driest major city in the country, but it's 25 and mild all week this week. So the pitch might be a bit different to normal. Anyway, I'm not sure if it will quicken up or not, I guess it's possible with the sun on it. Should be docile for the quicks throughout anyway, until the bounce plays up.

Think he was coming off but Bucknor wouldn't let Warne bowl because he'd been off the field. But yeah he must be ok

chalky

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Will be interesting to see how he backs up for his 2nd and (hopefully) 3rd spell.

chalky

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Have both teams made a mistake then by not picking the 2nd spinner. The groud looks quite lush so there doesn't look like there will be much reverse around. Could be a long game for the quickies.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
chalky said:
Have both teams made a mistake then by not picking the 2nd spinner. The groud looks quite lush so there doesn't look like there will be much reverse around. Could be a long game for England's quickies.
corrected.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chalky said:
Have both teams made a mistake then by not picking the 2nd spinner. The groud looks quite lush so there doesn't look like there will be much reverse around. Could be a long game for the quickies.
I think it's more problematic for England, given that Shane Warne is a pretty good bowler. To pick MacGill Australia would need to have picked five bowlers or dropped Clark or Lee, which is a pretty tough choice to make.

When Adelaide falls apart it tends to be very hard to play the quicks as well, because there's uneven bounce and so on. In 03/04 for instance against India it came apart pretty badly on the fourth day and it was Agarkar who took 6 wickets, even though Kumble and Tendulkar were turning it heaps. I don't think it matters too much what sort of bowlers you pick, provided that your seamers can bowl straight and you have a quality spinner.

chalky

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't think it matters too much what sort of bowlers you pick, provided that your seamers can bowl straight and you have a quality spinner.
Theres England out of the running then8-)