• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

Craig

World Traveller
Blewy said:
Amen, Their coverage this summer has been SUPER!!! Some people have complained but i think its been Brilliant!! Full Cred to them..

Super win, great to see the centre of the celebrations as well..
Well eventually they get things right.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Even to draw the series, England would need to make sure Australia don't win another test from here, let alone win two themselves. Too early? Nah.

pasag

RTDAS
Craig said:
Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I was just saying that there were better performances - Clarke's hundred, Hoogard's marathon bowling stint (42 overs is a pretty good effort), Collingwood's double ton.
Sorry, I was being abit flippant there, but whether you agree with it or not, it isnt farcical seeing as he set the match up for us, and scored 142 and 49, both magnificent knocks. Hoggard deserved it, but to say Ponting getting it in farcical is way off tbh.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I was just saying that there were better performances - Clarke's hundred, Hoogard's marathon bowling stint (42 overs is a pretty good effort), Collingwood's double ton.
How was Clarke's hundred better than Ponting's? Especially given Ponting also made 49 in the second innings when the team was looking shaky and needed quick runs.

There's a fair argument for a few players to win the MotM award, but I certainly don't see how there were any clearly "better performances" or how it is "farcical". Collingwood would have won it if England had saved the test, but the award usually goes to someone on the winning team, and Ponting had a very good match. 191 runs, a run out and some top notch captaincy on the final day.

That said, I would have gone Collingwood, marginally.

Craig

World Traveller
Just seeing the highlights on the news now and I said it before and I will keep on saying it and TEC is right once again about sweeping; for christ's sake (no profanty intended) sweep with you leg out side leg stump so it block's the ball from from hitting the stumps if you miss and not even umpire high on cocaine would give you out LBW.

Steulen

International Regular
What a day!

Surely this must spell the end for Jones, Giles and Anderson. Harmison may have too much credit left to be axed now, but he should be playing with the sword dangling from the horsehair in Perth.

This match showed the Fletcher doctrine of strong lower order batting to be farcical...or Fletcher's assessment of who is a strong lower order batter.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
How was Clarke's hundred better than Ponting's? Especially given Ponting also made 49 in the second innings when the team was looking shaky and needed quick runs.

There's a fair argument for a few players to win the MotM award, but I certainly don't see how there were any clearly "better performances" or how it is "farcical". Collingwood would have won it if England had saved the test, but the award usually goes to someone on the winning team, and Ponting had a very good match. 191 runs, a run out and some top notch captaincy on the final day.

That said, I would have gone Collingwood, marginally.
Well 'farcial' is perhaps a bit OTT by mine and I accept that. But what I mean by Clarke's ton is that I guess it helped get Australia over the 500 mark when he was at the creast Australia were well over 200 runs behind and for a guy who probably would have lost his spot to a fit Shane Watson or could have lost if he is fit for Perth and didn't get a nice score. That has to count for a lot for mine.

And if Collingwood's score isn't better then Ponting's, then it must be dam bloody close because he came in 2/45 and England were looking at a batting repeat of Brisbane.

pasag said:
Hahaha funniest overthrow ever. Direeeeeeeeeeee.
It's all very well Pietersen going around all upbeat and full of energy, hugging everyone and trying to gee them up but this is the result.

It was the same with all his drops in the last Ashes. He probably thinks he's being a great team man but he needs to calm down as it's counter-productive.

Nnanden said:
Hoggard still for mine. 17 wickets in four days, and Hoggard got 8 of them.
I know you're trying to seem sporting in victory, but don't be silly.

Ponting, Hussey, Clarke and Warne are all better candidates for it.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Adamc said:
Must be a bittersweet celebration for Martyn, surely on the verge of being dropped now.
true but this second innings should not be taken into account by the selectors because its a do or die game

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
BingLeeElectric said:
I know you're trying to seem sporting in victory, but don't be silly.

Ponting, Hussey, Clarke and Warne are all better candidates for it.
I understand you can have no idea on what it feels like to be genuine. So I don`t blame you for disagreeing. I don`t see anything silly about selecting him for MOTM. Huge batting wicket and he was incredible. Name something.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Nnanden said:
Ponting gets MOTM.

Haven`t seen celebrations like this from Australia ever tbh. Hooray!
Colly or Hoggy should have got it really but I guess they would have been too upset to take the award

pasag

RTDAS
Nnanden said:
Hoggard still for mine. 17 wickets in four days, and Hoggard got 8 of them.
Yep, one of the most memorable innings I have seen from a bowler. Really, stuff like that is what made this test match so great.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah i have to admit i though Hoggard should quite possibly have got MOTM, certainly the pick of the bowlers over the whole game, particularly the best in the first innings.

Martyn wont be dropped i dont think, i doubt they will change the winning side after that game.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
pasag said:
Yep, one of the most memorable innings I have seen from a bowler. Really, stuff like that is what made this test match so great.
Indeed. The bloke is so amazingly underrated. He gets practically written off before every tour with people banging on about how the conditions of foreign climates don't suit him, some people will probably never learn.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I think England need to pick Read for the next test, you cant get worse the Jones's batting at the moment and Read is vastly superior with the gloves anyway.