• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Thats what Durham thought
1st game- 12 overs 113 runs 0 wickets
2nd game- 6 overs 63 runs 0 wickets

3rd game...Oh wait, he been given his ticket home by then :laugh:
Tait in 04/05
vs Victoria: 5/39 & 4/34
vs Queensland: 1/38 & 7/99
vs Tasmania: 4/111 & 3/72
vs New South Wales: 4/137 & DNB
vs Western Australia: 4/61 & 4/64
vs New South Wales: 2/83 & 4/62
vs Victoria: 2/69 & DNB
vs Queensland: 4/61 & 4/97
vs Western Australia: 4/50 & 2/109
vs Tasmania: 2/54 & 5/71

That's 65 wickets @ 20.16 in 10 matches, with an SR of 36. Durham wouldn't have minded that.

The guy can bowl, I wouldn't place too much stock in a couple of poor games a number of years ago when he had no ball problems. I don't think he should be in the team yet, but it'd be foolish to write him off for the future. He's a bit more consistent in line these days than he was in 04/05 too, and maintains his pace a bit longer.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I am keeping a certain degree of optimism for this nexct match, starting with my next "Crazy £5 Bet"

Ricky Ponting will be dismissed for a duck.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I know Tait can bowl, but to me he is not an Aussie player. From an outsider the modern Australian player seems very polished at the beginning of their career with many of their cricketing rough edges already shaven off.

They are the guys to benchmark yourself against and seem to lack any real failings compared to other Test sides.

Thats why guys like Tait and Symonds dont seem to fit in IMO. They just dont look 'complete'. Both are good cricketers, and I wish Symonds had chosen England, but I seem to expect more from Aussie players.

For England, talented but flawed players are acceptable but for Australia I dont think they are with the exception, obviously, of Warne.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
I know Tait can bowl, but to me he is not an Aussie player. From an outsider the modern Australian player seems very polished at the beginning of their career with many of their cricketing rough edges already shaven off.

They are the guys to benchmark yourself against and seem to lack any real failings compared to other Test sides.

Thats why guys like Tait and Symonds dont seem to fit in IMO. They just dont look 'complete'. Both are good cricketers, and I wish Symonds had chosen England, but I seem to expect more from Aussie players.

For England, talented but flawed players are acceptable but for Australia I dont think they are with the exception, obviously, of Warne.
Warne has a cricketing flaw?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Warne has a cricketing flaw?
If you look at the beginning of his career, yes he did.

It took people with a lot of faith in his ability (and a lot of hard work by him) for him to become the cricketer he is now.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
You think so? That's sometimes true, but there are plenty of examples which don't fit that theory at all. Quite a lot of the highly successful Australian batsmen in the last 10-15 years came into the side as unfinished products and struggled a lot early in their careers. That's not true so much with bowlers, but Hayden, Martyn, Langer, Waugh, Ponting etc all got dropped early on and worked their way back into the side, and didn't peak until their late 20s or early 30s.

Tait is by no means a complete bowler, but he is improving and he's a pretty good option to have as your 4th or 5th choice seam bowler. While he is erratic and, more importantly, has a tendancy to bowl one very good spell and then go missing for the rest of the day, there's no reason that he can't work on the less polished aspects of his game and turn out to be a very good player. He's still young after all, and his record is pretty clear evidence of his talent, especially for someone such as yourself who rates first class achievements so highly.

Laurrz

International Debutant
both times McGrath missed last year we loss

:(

i really hope he is fit... if not then i'd go with.... well Tait or Johnson IMO both are pretty equal... they'd make good replacements... but McGrath is McGrath and is irreplaceable

maybe even fly MacGill over and play 5 bowlers

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, there is no doubt that with McGrath the Aussies would have won the Ashes. The games were close enough as it is, and McGrath would have been a huge upgrade over his replacements.

This time around, the Aussies have much better bowlers if McGrath were to go down, and their batting lineup is looking better as well, so even without McGrath the Poms have very little shot.