• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Geez it's important that Ponting is not out at lunch. Was a fairly good performance from Australia in the second hour actually, despite the LBW shout and the dropped catch, simply because they learned from the first hour's mistakes and played a bit more sensibly outside off. While Hoggard bowled well and the tactics from Flintoff were appropriate, neither of the wicket deliveries should really have been played at. Hayden is forgivable because it moved away from him when the odd ball was swinging in, but Martyn is way too compulsive outside off, and with a stacked field and a wide line he needs to learn to leave the ball more often, especially in those sort of situations. He's got one more innings to get it right.

Hussey played exactly like I expected he would under the circumstances, and has a terrific temprament. If there's anyone who can bat for 5 or 6 hours in this sort of situation and support Ponting, it's him. Really interesting session anyway, looking forward to the next one.

Incidentally, I would have given Ponting out. I said it was out at the time, and even though Hawkeye had it missing I think it was close enough to give. You can't fault the umpire either though, given that there was a chance it would have missed leg.

Fiery

Banned
I wouldn't get too excited if I was English. This pitch is a belter. Either Hussey, Ponting or Clarke will get a big one and avoid the follow on which will mean a draw. Being a kiwi I've seen the Aussies get themselves out of the ****e far too often.

Fiery

Banned
I know all you Aussies and Englishman are dying to know...Cambo takes a share of the lead after 11 holes of the final round of the NZ Open

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Have a feeling this session could be a struggle for England, Hussey looks mightily solid and Ponting will make full use of his lives.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Damm!!! Missed the 1st session!!! Seems as if England won the 1st Hour and the honours were even during the 2nd? I Fully expect Ponting to make the most of the life given to him from Gilo (He really is a King :p) and as Fuller said Hussey is the right man to be with him, especially after how well the batted together in Brissy.

How did Harmison & Anderson bowl this morning?? Just listening to the ABC guys now and Anderson seems to be bowling much better.. Thoughts?

I can see this innings as being 1 of the biggest in the careers of Clarke & Gilly as imo it'll show us just which direction their careers are heading. If Clarke bats well, Martyn could well be the man to lose out when Watson is fit, whilst if Gilly fails again (Fingers crossed he doesn't!!) i'll be starting to wonder if he really still has his heart in it.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
Catches win matches Ashley. I would say that miss is the most crucial moment of the game so far. Poor bugger probably feels pretty ordinary about himself at the myself. There's not much worse in life than dropping a catch in any form of cricket and it would be up there with a death in the family if you were playing for the Ashes. (Or maybe I take the game too seriously)

Fiery

Banned
Clapo said:
Damm!!! Missed the 1st session!!! Seems as if England won the 1st Hour and the honours were even during the 2nd? I Fully expect Ponting to make the most of the life given to him from Gilo (He really is a King :p) and as Fuller said Hussey is the right man to be with him, especially after how well the batted together in Brissy.

How did Harmison & Anderson bowl this morning?? Just listening to the ABC guys now and Anderson seems to be bowler much better.. Thoughts?

I can see this innings as being 1 of the biggest in the careers of Clarke & Gilly as imo it'll show us just which direction their careers are heading. If Clarke bats well, Martyn could well be the man to lose out when Watson is fit, whilst if Gilly fails again (Fingers crossed he doesn't!!) i'll be starting to wonder if he really still has his heart in it.
Nobody could convince me that Shane Watson is a better player than Damien Martyn. So he's batted OK in a couple of one-dayers and bowls a bit but I've seen nothing else to suggest he's world class, (and he cries too easily)

aussie tragic

International Captain
Well, with Ponting on 82* he now has a test average of 60.06

btw, if I remember correctly, SS said if it was him, he'd fake an injury and then not play again so that he could retire with the 60 average.... good thing Ponting is not selfish like SS hey :)

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Gaaaaah, why couldn't we have got Ponting out when we had the chance? :dry:

Also, Hussey seems determined to keep his ridiculously over-inflated average going for as long as he can. Damn him.